Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software updates only for "legit" version of Windows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software updates only for "legit" version of Windows...

Too much Mac news around here..

I thought this was an interesting article about Windows and how Micro$oft will no longer allow you to update pirated versions.

Certainly makes a lot of sense for them to do this. You assume there are folks out there running around with pirated versions of the OS. It's going to be a nightmare dealing with those virus exploited boxes if there is no way to patch them with updates.

Re: Software updates only for "legit" version of Windows...

Originally posted by 808_m3
    Too much Mac news around here..
    ok.. lesseeee;

mac news;

free software updates.
    new products.

windoze news:

viruses
    spyware
    crashes
    security
    bootleg OS
    bugs
    piracy
    gates' monopoly

(I guess we prefer good news)
    Last edited by kimo55; January 26, 2005, 02:33 PM.

Comment

More pilikia for Squishy users: now they're saying you have to watch out where you're getting your security patches from, because apparently some hacker has figured out how to piggyback a trojan horse along with what looks like a legit download of MS patches.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        More pilikia for Squishy users: now they're saying you have to watch out where you're getting your security patches from, because apparently some hacker has figured out how to piggyback a trojan horse along with what looks like a legit download of MS patches.

Miulang
        yea. that's one of the many emails i get, that i being a mac user, can ignore as freely as i do the nigerian scammers, Russian brides and ebay/paypal personal info update requests:
        MS patches, updates, etc.
        Indirectly, we mac users are punished for the existence of windoze machines, purely on the basis of receiving sooo much junk email by hackers sending viruses to win/PC's
        Last edited by kimo55; January 26, 2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

it's funny you mention Gates Monopoly when Apple pretty much has the monopoly on it's OS software period!

It's all about supply and demand. Microsoft seems to be doing alright with demand even though pirated OS' proliferate the computer market, Bill Gates seems to be doing pretttttttyyyy good, while all Apple has to do is to put out one bad computer and there goes the whole batch. They can thank their lucky Ipod God for their fortunes now.

But as Apple becomes more and more popular it will be just another Microsoft with another monopoly (as it is now) and then you'll be hearing that catch phrase: There's a worm infecting my Apple!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            But as Apple becomes more and more popular it will be just another Microsoft with another monopoly (as it is now) and then you'll be hearing that catch phrase: There's a worm infecting my Apple!

yep, that is the fear i've had dormant in da back o mah brain; that as long as we take up what; 10% of the marketshare? we are "immune" But as soon as we allow clones, and licence out the OS, the hackers see a larger and more rewarding target for their viruses...

Comment

If you want secure computing, there's always Linux

If they just dropped the prices on the OSs and let the new OSes (media center, 64 bit edition, etc) be available at retail (instead at newegg.com or other online stores) then they'll just have to worry about the # of packages they're making, instead of the different ways to stop their software from being copied.

And if you have to (use) pirate software, atleast use it properly, and learn how to work around those things (don't ban me for that)
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                And if you have to (use) pirate software, atleast use it properly, and learn how to work around those things...

"if you use pirated software, use it properly"

uuhh... isn't that a...
                oh, ne'mind.

________
                no. I ain't da kine!
                YOU da kine.

Comment

Working...
                X