?External HD trans problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?External HD trans problem

I'm trying to dump a load of music and photo files from my laptop into my GoFlex, and it started with needing 2 hrs., but now it's saying a day plus, and it's data seems to be jumping around. What's going on, should I terminate and try again/check for problems?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: ?External HD trans problem

I'm not sure what OS you're using, but MS is notoriously weird when it comes to predicting the time it takes to copy. As long as your computer supports USB 2.x and isn't running as 1.x, I don't think there's much you can do but wait.

Comment

Those time estimates are often based on how fast the computer is doing the task AT THAT MOMENT. Often, at the beginning of an operation, the instantaneous speed is rather fast, so the computer thinks it's going to do the task at that rate for the entirety of the operation, which it seldom does. Just ride it out.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I had that problem a couple of times. Turns out the USB driver support for I/O devices were going bad. The USB ports will work fine for printers and other items but for external drives and thumbdrives they will eventually not even be recognized by the OS.

Unfortunately this function of the USB is a part of Windows Service Pack 2 if I'm not mistaken and you may need to remove all USB drivers from your Device Manager and reload SP2 to reinstall USB support.

I just reload the OS. When drivers start going south, reinstalling the OS can be a good thing.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's managed to load everything that was on my laptop, beyond what I had selected, so I'd say at this point scrivner hit it. But it's still a bit disconcerting. Thanx guys.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
          X