APEC slowing the net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APEC slowing the net?

Everybody I know is having total crap with computer speed. Hawaii is a 4th world country when it comes to net efficiency, so maybe the extra load is clogging it up?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: APEC slowing the net?

I haven't seen any difference.

What I have noticed is that Ala Moana food court last night was a near ghost town.

Monday's SA was crowing about how much money APEC is bringing in. But I suspect for many businesses, the effect is quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I haven't seen any difference.
      Ditto.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      What I have noticed is that Ala Moana food court last night was a near ghost town.

Monday's SA was crowing about how much money APEC is bringing in. But I suspect for many businesses, the effect is quite different.
      APEC is a whole lotta B.S. that mainly benefits a handful of powerful businesses and strokes the egos of local politicians who have the opportunity to rub elbows with some leaders from around the world. For everybody else, it is nothing more than a major P.I.T.A. as well as an budgetary liability for the city and the state, with all of the O.T. pay for police officers, the extra security cameras, as well as the genuine waste of money being spent on cleaning up graffiti and relocating the homeless, since we all know that those problems will return.

And if any of you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in gridlock traffic... or if your business is adversely impacted directly or indirectly by APEC.... remember who were the clowns responsible for bringing this APEC B.S. here. Let me refresh your memory.

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/Artic...-visitors.aspx

The Hawai‘i bid, which was submitted in January 2009, was a collaborative effort between the Lingle-Aiona Administration, Hawai‘i Tourism Authority, Hawai‘i’s tourism and business community, the City and County of Honolulu, Hawai‘i’s Congressional Delegation and the East-West Center. Hawai‘i was among several U.S. locations vying to host the 2011 APEC Leaders Meeting.
      There you have it.

Will anybody be voting in next year's election for Linda Lingle, Mazie Hirono, and Mufi Hannemann?
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 9, 2011, 09:30 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It's back up to speed right now.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Will anybody be voting in next year's election for Linda Lingle, Mazie Hirono, and Mufi Hannemann?
          I know I won’t be voting for lazy Mazie. But knowing Hawai‘i voters, she’ll likely win anyway.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            And if any of you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in gridlock traffic... or if your business is adversely impacted directly or indirectly by APEC.... remember who were the clowns responsible for bringing this APEC B.S. here.
            Well, if anyone thought I was exaggerating the financial beating that small businesses are taking because of APEC, KITV news paints the stark reality.

And no. I don't believe anything coming out of the addled brains of people like Paul BrewBSer (opps,.. Brewbaker) or Howard "The Duck" Dicus, spouting the propaganda about the wonders that APEC is doing for our economy. The only people I trust to tell it like it is when it comes to fiscal matters are Lowell Kalapa and Marion Higa.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 10, 2011, 12:22 AM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

From the KITV article: "But the restaurants and businesses hope to see a recovery starting Thursday when world leaders and foreign dignitaries start arriving and APEC kicks into full gear."

I'm guessing "not". Somehow, I suspect that the APEC crowd is "high end". I kinda doubt if they have much in the way of supporters that would fit the target market for most of the businesses around there.

OTOH, I suspect the high-end business may well see an increase.

How fitting if Ape-Pack itself benefits only the very rich and not the working class. As Monday's SA front page shows, if one APEC visitor displaces 2-3 of the regular visitors, it's a net loss.

I'm seeing major displacement. The last couple of nights, I've been surprised at the lack of traffic on Piikoi and Pensacola street. Everyone is staying the hell out of Dodge.

Comment

Hillary Clinton addresses the APEC gathering today. Her speech being the same ole' sentiments repeated ad nauseum this week about the US and Asian countries strengthening their economic ties. Oh, and to pacify the natives here, a short acknowledgement about the Pacific region.

But NOTHING about Kollin Elderts getting fatally shot. Granted, this is a local criminal matter. But since this young man was killed by one of the off-duty security officers working for her department, you would think that she would acknowledge the tragedy,... if not at her speech in the East-West Center, then at least in some other kind of statement/press release. But no, nothing, like this whole thing doesn't matter.

Comment

Yeah, too bad APEC wasn't played up for protesting visitors. Package deals, special front-and-center protest areas with accomodating facilities, meetings between protesters and heads-of-state - now that would have produced an economic spurt!
                  [along with triple the media coverage]
                  Last edited by salmoned; November 11, 2011, 11:00 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                  X