• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii RR Speed Upgrade to 5Mbps

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz10p.html

Road Runner increases Internet service speed

By Sean Hao
    Advertiser Staff Writer

Oceanic Time Warner Cable yesterday boosted the speed of its Road Runner high speed Internet service from a maximum of 3 megabits per second to 5 megabits per second — or 5 million bits of information per second.

The higher-speed service is available to all Road Runner subscribers at no additional fee, said Alan Pollock, vice president of marketing for Oceanic.

To upgrade, users must shutdown their computers and turn off their cable modem for about a minute. The upgrade to the faster service should be automatic once everything is switched back on.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Hawaii RR Speed Upgrade to 5Mbps

Cool. But considering that there are probably lots of customers like me who leave their connection on 24-7, I wonder how long it'll be before everybody gets around to taking advantage of this?

Comment

Further, especially with cable modems, there's a world of difference between "maximum bandwidth" and "minimum/guaranteed bandwidth." They could boost the size of their pipes to 12Mbps, but the end user could still be mired in 768k land depending on network traffic and hardware limitations further up the line. I'd like to see if their TOS is updated (guaranteeing at least {x}/{y} Mbps up/down). I doubt it.

The "maximum" numbers for cable always look good versus DSL, but I'll still take "consistently good" versus "possibly spectacular but often sluggish" for now.

Comment

I have had both Road Runner and DSL .It seems DSL is more consistent
        than Road Runner speed wise.I have 3mbps/768K DSL and I l have been very
        happy with it. A lot more than Road runner when I had it.

I don't think DSL or Cable Modems can ever have a CIR, due to shared nature
        of both services. Yes you have a dedicated circuit to the CO with DSL. But
        after that your sharing bandwith with other users.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Cool. But considering that there are probably lots of customers like me who leave their connection on 24-7, I wonder how long it'll be before everybody gets around to taking advantage of this?
          I saw that article this morning and did it on my computer; it actually does seem to be running faster, though a check at http://speedtest.oceanic.com showed that I was still at 2,413kbs.
          Gotta say that I've had RoadRunner for almost two years and haven't had a single problem with it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The http://speedtest.oceanic.com/ is not entirely accurate. Your bettter off using http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I had Road Runner for 4years the first
            two years was a nightmare http://www.hawaiirr.com/oldfix.asp
            The Kona Blog

Comment

But how much people will use? If your neighborhood is online all together, then the speeds will be minimal (thank god for DSL), but the $50/month price is justified if you're one of the few on your cable network.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S

I don't think DSL or Cable Modems can ever have a CIR, due to shared nature
                of both services. Yes you have a dedicated circuit to the CO with DSL. But
                after that your sharing bandwith with other users.

Actually, if you can find someone who's still using a Fujitsu DSL modem, and has the original Platnium or Platnium+ service, there is a CIR believe it or not.

I don't remember what it was exactly, but I'll check to see what it was as I know of a few people that still have this connection. According to Verizon, any service level change will make this plan dissappear, and they won't be able to get it back, since you're right, the current DSL plans have no CIR in the TOS.

Comment

The Fujitsu's I recall work only over frame relay. I also recall the way
                  Verizon [GTE] configured each DSLAM shelf had up to 96 DSL line cards shared
                  one 1.5Mbps frame relay circuit to the Verizon Frame Relay cloud.
                  I recall ISPs posted a CIR on those connections using the legacy
                  Fujitsu's but I would find it hard to swallow that the CIR's could be
                  met with up to 96 users sharing one 1.5Mbps circuit.The Fujitsu's are
                  to the trash heap of time as the Westell Modems use the more robust ATM circuit from the Central Offices
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                    The Fujitsu's I recall work only over frame relay. I also recall the way
                    Verizon [GTE] configured each DSLAM shelf had up to 96 DSL line cards shared
                    one 1.5Mbps frame relay circuit to the Verizon Frame Relay cloud.
                    I recall ISPs posted a CIR on those connections using the legacy
                    Fujitsu's but I would find it hard to swallow that the CIR's could be
                    met with up to 96 users sharing one 1.5Mbps circuit.The Fujitsu's are
                    to the trash heap of time as the Westell Modems use the more robust ATM circuit from the Central Offices
                    No, I understand the "overselling of the FR DSLAM's," I guess you've been reading Del Wong's 'Net status page too eh?

As a ISP network engineer, I was happy beyond belief when Verizon rolled out the ATM DSL's, however, my mom's house is still on a fujitsu circuit, and yes, it does have a CIR listed, not from the ISP side, but a CIR guarantee from Verizon.

At my home I have a 7.1/768 here, so I'm pretty happy.

Comment

yup they got there head together when some one stick something else on internet that can beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                        I guess you've been reading Del Wong's 'Net status page too eh?
                        Yup thats where I read that on Del Wong's Net Status Page

As a ISP network engineer, I was happy beyond belief when Verizon rolled out the ATM DSL's, however, my mom's house is still on a fujitsu circuit, and yes, it does have a CIR listed, not from the ISP side, but a CIR guarantee from Verizon.At my home I have a 7.1/768 here, so I'm pretty happy.
                        If its is CIR from Verizon and not the ISP, then I would be correct to figure
                        the CIR only applies on the speed between the Central Office and the Customer''s modem.

I have 3Mbps/768 from Verizon Online and very happy
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

So they're increasing their down speed - do they still have a ridiculous upload cap?
                          I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

As far as I can tell, it's still 384kb on the upload.

Comment

I was reading online someplace that one of the reasons why the upload on
                              the residential Road Runner service is only 384K is because the old Cyber Surfr
                              cable modems still in use out there. The CMTS for the Cyber Surf modems has a
                              max upload of 768K total per node I understood.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X