• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearwire

http://khon2.com/2015/11/04/beware-m...wire-shutdown/

I'm not clear on this.

Re: Clearwire

I've been a Clearwire customer for about five years, and Sprint's shutting down the network is one of the most inconvenient things I've had to deal with lately. My rental situation makes Oceanic Time Warner not an option. That leaves Hawaiian Telcom, a company I dislike, and a variety of independent contractors offering Exede's satellite service, for which the company has to install a satellite dish (and therefore is also not an option for my rental situation).

For the amount of data I need, a MyFi is no long-term solution. This leave me with one option, as far as I've been able to tell: Hawaiian Telcom. Crappity crap crap.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

While it is more expensive and it requires a HawaiianTelcom DSL line, you can go through LavaNet. They have no bandwidth limits/caps. I stream audio and video all the time through LavaNet... not as fast as Oceanic Time Warner who I hate more than HawaiianTelcom.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks Mel. I'm going to look into that.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I've been a Clearwire customer for about five years, and Sprint's shutting down the network is one of the most inconvenient things I've had to deal with lately.
          Alas, it was only a matter of time before Sprint investors (i.e. Softbank) leaned hard enough on the company to ax Clearwire. Sprint’s purchase of Clear was solely based on the desire to usurp its bandwidth. Maintaining a WiMax network was never part of the long-term game plan for Sprint, and the exorbitant cost of building a 4G LTE network finally ruled the day. Considering how far behind Sprint and T-mobile are compared to Verizon and AT&T, they really had no choice if they wanted to remain relevant.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Oh, I get it from Sprint's perspective (another company I'm not a fan of, by the way). I just like having a choice, and Clear gave me an option I preferred. The company has been good about warning us every few weeks since about six months ago. This date has been on my calendar for half a year.

Ugh.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
            X