Spyware detection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware detection?

Which are the best... which are free... and what are the links to download them?
    Mahalo nui in advance!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Spyware detection?

Free is the way to go.
    AdAware and Spybot S&D are good overall scanners/killers. SpywareBlaster is more protection against future malware installations. CWShredder just goes after one particularly nasty piece of spyware.

Comment

Mahalo, Ryan! I'll check those out.
      Anyone else have suggestions beyond those four?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Free is the way to go.
        AdAware and Spybot S&D are good overall scanners/killers. SpywareBlaster is more protection against future malware installations. CWShredder just goes after one particularly nasty piece of spyware.
        Thank You so much! I love to write and got this beautiful dell that could probably process the most self indulgent unedited writing I could come up with, but still I am not savvy as I bought it first resolved to learn as I went along....now all the classes offered at colleges around here are just as confusing as the computer I am still tiptoeing around three years later...d'oh!!!!! Must make decision....still using fountain pen for stuff I don't want to lose. Now that's not what I bought this for!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Anyone else have suggestions beyond those four?
          Nope. He's listed the 4 best ones, I think. Using Ad-aware & Spybot on my Sony Vaio, I've been spyware-free.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Shucks, I have three computers. One my nephew is repairing since last year, 520 or 580 HP, I forget the model. Another my neice gave me that shut down about two weeks after I got it, something on the screen said four stacks left. Can't even play games on that one. I'm back using the first one I got from Robet Caz which I did something stupid cause pictures are blurry.

I tried downloading but the computer says zip file missing. Dunno wat dat is. To be safe I never open emails I don't know who it's from. I don't open any junk mail especially. I have Register Mechanic and McAfee (oops, sorry Miulang, I won't subscribe again when it's up).

The only things I do with the computer is personal emails, go on Hawai'i Stories, Hawai'i Threads, Military Mom's Support Groups, and a few other sites that I know is safe.

One time I was being nosy and clicked on someone who left a message on my blogg...damest thing I saw and never want to see again.

Anyway's thanks for the information. I'll keep it when I get back my new computer or buy a new one. Hmmm...could it be me that my computers are messing up? Nah. I wanted to teach some kids here in MWH the basics but I can't even use one correctly.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Since I downloaded Firefox I've had minimal spyware. I ran Ad-Aware the other day and it found 8 odd items. When I was using IE 6 I'd routinely get 35-100 instances of the stuff.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                Since I downloaded Firefox I've had minimal spyware. I ran Ad-Aware the other day and it found 8 odd items. When I was using IE 6 I'd routinely get 35-100 instances of the stuff.
                Same here.....

Just ran Spy Sweeper yesterday and got nothing! When I was using IE6 I'd run Spy Sweeper several times a day....got up to 20 instances each time I ran Spy Sweeper.
                Lovena

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the answers and advice!

Comment

I downloaded and installed the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta, and it works pretty well. I'm leery of its long-term future because I am afraid Microsoft will do something greedy with it, but ignoring that it seems like a good package.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      AdAware and Spybot S&D are good overall scanners/killers. SpywareBlaster is more protection against future malware installations.
                      spybot also has protection against spyware installations. it has a feature called immunization which looks for activeX signatures, i think.

interesting thing about spybot: from spybot, go to settings, then ignore products. it will list all the spyware that it will detect. sidestep, new.net, mysearch, lsp.new.net are checked by default. this means that spybot will not catch the above spyware and remove them. anybody know why?
                      Fair and Balanced

Comment

bump.

I think its time for me to branch out from spybot and adaware.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Firefox is a great browser. I stopped using IE for more than a year now and everything is running great.

Just a tip to always update your anti-spyware/anti-ad-aware softwares, to keep everything in shape.
                          "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

LavaSoft AdAware, Spybot S&D,SpywareBlaster,CWShredder .

I have all of these on my computer and run them all the time. What one won't catch the other ones usually will .

Very good programs. Be sure and always do the up-dates.

Comment

Working...
                            X