Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Verizon DSL

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Thanks. Then I'm paying $29.95/month for (apparently) 1248upload/368 download.
    Thats normal for 1.5Mbps/384K service. That being said as long as you are
    within 12,000 feet of CO I would look in upgrading to 3Mbps/768K service.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
      Thats normal for 1.5Mbps/384K service. That being said as long as you are
      within 12,000 feet of CO I would look in upgrading to 3Mbps/768K service.
      Just curious. Are the numbers as advertised?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        Just curious. Are the numbers as advertised?
        Well in my opinion yes. Taking into account TCP/IP overhead which eats
        up 20% of your speed;. I normally get close to 80% of 3Mbps
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Either I missed it or Verizon didn't exactly break a leg informing its customers about the possibility of upgrading for the same price (ok, one-year commitment rather than month-to-month, but c'mon). I e-mailed them from their website last night to ask about it, and got back a "we'll respond within 24 hours" message.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Either I missed it or Verizon didn't exactly break a leg informing its customers about the possibility of upgrading for the same price (ok, one-year commitment rather than month-to-month, but c'mon). I e-mailed them from their website last night to ask about it, and got back a "we'll respond within 24 hours" message.
            Verizon's month to month pricing for 3Mbps/768K is 37.95.If you sign up
            for a year its 29.95. If you already signed up for a year for 3Mbps/768K
            service your price automatically drops from 39.95 to 29.95.

Verizon's 1.5Mbps/384K month to month pricing went up from 34.95 to 37.95.
            If you sign up for a year you get it for 29.95...seems pretty clear to me.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
              Verizon's month to month pricing for 3Mbps/768K is 37.95.If you sign up
              for a year its 29.95. If you already signed up for a year for 3Mbps/768K
              service your price automatically drops from 39.95 to 29.95.

Verizon's 1.5Mbps/384K month to month pricing went up from 34.95 to 37.95.
              If you sign up for a year you get it for 29.95...seems pretty clear to me.
              I got it last August or September, and I don't think I had to commit to a year (not that it matters, since I would have after trying it for two days anyway).

Comment

I got it last August or September, and I don't think I had to commit to a year (not that it matters, since I would have after trying it for two days anyway).
                When I signed up back in April 2004, I got free first month, 29.95 first/second
                month and 34.95 thereafter. Then in June 2004 I signed up for 29.95 lifetime ratewhen I got the increased upload to 1.5Mbps/384K. Thats probably what happened to you.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I signed up for 29.95 lifetime rate when I got the increased upload to 1.5Mbps/384K. Thats probably what happened to you.
                  That sounds right, although I always wonder about "lifetime" rates.

Comment

I e-mailed Verizon to ask about the faster speed, and yesterday evening I got a reply saying the 1.5/384 or whatever is the fastest my line will currently support. Huh.

Comment

I e-mailed Verizon to ask about the faster speed, and yesterday evening I got a reply saying the 1.5/384 or whatever is the fastest my line will currently support. Huh.
                      I would try talking to a live person frankly. The limit for 3Mbps/768K
                      is 12000 wire feet from the central office serving your prefix.If your
                      served from a remote terminal it is very possible that 1.5Mbps/768K
                      is the max you can get.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

The trick is to contact someone who doesn't eat as much paste. If you are technically inclined, you should contact VADI (Verizon Advanced Data Inc). The number is: 1-877-483-4375. They can easily tell you what your line is rated for, and they won't try and sell you shit.
                        I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                        X