Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

https://www.clearwire.com/order_entry/web/prequal.php

With the link above you can enter your address and see if its in the Clearwire coverage area and if so, you'll see the current rates they charge.

Comment

Good to hear from someone getting some hands-on time with Clearwire, LocoBoy. So, "Business Class" with Clearwire is "up to 1.5Mb" downlink, "up to 256K" uplink, plus 1 static IP and other basics -- 8 e-mail addresses and a 25Mb web account (25Mb? Why bother?) -- for $50/mo. How does that compare to what you were getting and paying at Oceanic? And have you been using it long enough to get a feel for actual speeds and availability? Run any of Aaron's tried-and-true tests lately?

By CPs, by the way, you mean their power-line Ethernet adapters?

Comment

I would be more excited about this rollout. But I really can't get too excited
        by the "up to 1.5Mbps/256K" speeds. I'll stick with my HawTel DSL, thank you
        What in the heck is a "CP" ?
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Does Clearwire have anything to do with Clear Channel ?

I hope not...Clear Channel is EVIL...
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I've had one of my CP's (Sorry my abbr. for computer) hooked up for about a month & my network up for about a week now, the up/down load speed have been comperable to RR. I mean I havn't had any trouble surfing the web or any noticible slow downs. With cable I was paying about $90.00 a month for buisness class. 25MB for web space is small but it still suits me, I dont need much. Dont get me wrong, cable's great but I was looking to save some money and so far its been working well. And no I havn't attempted any off Aarons tests, should I be?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              Does Clearwire have anything to do with Clear Channel ?
              I hope not...Clear Channel is EVIL...

http://www.clearwire.com/company/about.php

The Internet gives us all a profound freedom to communicate, explore and share ideas. But until now, access to the Internet has been a bit of a let down. That's why we created a better alternative with Clearwire.

Clearwire is here to provide Internet service as astounding as the Internet itself. Now you can enjoy a high-speed broadband Internet connection on your terms — with a solution that's simple, flexible, reliable and affordable. Best of all with Clearwire, you connect to the Internet without a cord or cable coming out of the wall.

Before creating Clearwire, Craig McCaw founded McCaw Cellular – later purchased by AT&T Wireless. Craig aspired to deliver better, more flexible access to the Internet throughout communities nationwide.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

If the speeds bother you then dont sign up, this service is more for people who need mobility plus speed, IE. sprints EVDO cards or T-mobiles EDGE. This will go anywhere you go. Granted the modem i a little bigger then a RR modem, but the service is powerfull considering the wireless compeditors. Sprint, T-mobile, and Cingular cant touch clearwire in speed. And no Clearwire has nothing to do with Clear channel.

Comment

Well firstly, I can't sign up as I live on the Big Island- Clearwire doesn't service
                  the Big Island yet. Secondly, unless Clearwire increased their speed, I would never consider it.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Yes i know that i was speaking generally i know where the coverage is. But maybe you should try it before you say its not good???? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by gohan2801
                      Yes i know that i was speaking generally i know where the coverage is. But maybe you should try it before you say its not good???? Just a thought.
                      Hmmm I didn't say the service is not good ? I have said the speeds available
                      are pathetic. There is a difference, you know.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

If the speeds bother you then dont sign up, this service is more for people who need mobility plus speed, IE. sprints EVDO cards or T-mobiles EDGE. This will go anywhere you go.
                        As long as there's a power outlet!

The speeds are great compared to those other mobile options (EVDO is fast compared to old CDMA, but still a tortoise compared to wired service), but in terms of form factor and convenience, Clearwire needs a few more revs of its product line. When the modem fits into a laptop and requires no external power source, then we'll talk.

Right now it's positioned more as an alternative to RoadRunner or HawaiianTelcom DSL, and I guess the price can be comparable. But the service level seems to leave much to be desired. I think a lot of people would be happy with 1.5Mb down, but hardcore geeks might not.

Comment

The speeds are the service, everything included with the plan are features of the service, Being wireless with no installation are benifits of the product. Something to think about

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            I think a lot of people would be happy with 1.5Mb down, but hardcore geeks might not.
                            I would consider myself to be a part of the latter. 1.5Mbps simply does not
                            cut it. When I cancelled Road Runner in 2004, Verizon only had 1.5Mbps/128K
                            (upgraded to 1.5Mbps/384K).I have no intention to ever going back to such a slow speed. Especially after you've used Road Runner or HawTel DSL.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

The speeds are the service, everything included with the plan are features of the service, Being wireless with no installation are benifits of the product. Something to think about
                              Well I'd encourage you to suggest to your superiors to upgrade the speed.
                              Then I'd get excited about it.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

If you ever end up coming to Oahu or Maui i think you should try it for your self, numbers dont mean anything. I have used both and i feel from using it Clearwire is Faster. It actually exceeds its advertised speeds. I have actually tested down speed at 1.8 mbs, so i know its faster then what is advertises

Comment

Working...
                                X