Clearwire Corporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

I like to download music off of ITunes. For example, I get between 330-365KB/sec with DSL. Speaking strictly raw download speeds, I would go out on a limb and say Clearwire would not match that ?

I would go out on a limb also, I surmise the closer you are to the transmitter
    the higher your download speeds. Hence why you got 1.8Mbps.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

the thing about clearwire is the portability. all you do is plug in the a/c and the ethernet, so its a great service for people on the road. (as long as you get signal) i dont think it is sufficient for hardcore gamers.

are they giving $35 commission or did they finally bump it to a reasonable level? an associate wants me to do outside sales for clearwire.
      i beleive its based in las vegas, so we should check the results of the market up there.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I just spoke to a Clearwire rep at Pearlridge (which her cuteness didn't hurt) and I was under the impression that someone could just grab their laptop and just use it to surf the 'net on Clearwire, but like I read in this thread (and what I understood after I left the kiosk) was that you need to have the modem connected to the computer and powered. That isn't much of an issue, unless you don't have a power converter or room for the modem, but I can see a car kit selling like hot cakes if this will become popular.

I hope OC and HiTel can jump on the bandwagon and offer something similar (maybe free wifi ).
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Low and behold, I found this "positive" review of Clearwire on DSL Reports
          tonight.

This was what I wrote in a reply:

I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL (3Mbps/768K). I signed up for
          a year contract @ 29.99 a month. For that same rate,
          you get 768K/256K at regular rates. To get up to 1.5Mbps/256K
          its 36.99 or 49.99 (for business). So your assertion
          Hawaiian Telcom DSL is more expensive is wrong.

This review seems too good to be true also. I have my suspicions which
          I'll keep to myself for the time being.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

What will the price be AFTER the initial 3 months?
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              What will the price be AFTER the initial 3 months?
              29.99 =Up to 768K/256K service
              36.99 =Up to 1.5Mbps/256K service
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Don't you also have to have a landline installed to use DSL? I wish they would get to the point of having "data only" lines like they do in Calif & other places. Makes things a lot cheaper! I really need to find some way to cut back on expenses but don't want to give up broadband speed just to save a few dollars.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Don't you also have to have a landline installed to use DSL? I wish they would get to the point of having "data only" lines like they do in Calif & other places. Makes things a lot cheaper! I really need to find some way to cut back on expenses but don't want to give up broadband speed just to save a few dollars.
                  Yes, it would be nice if HawTel offered "dry loop" DSL here. But considering
                  the exodus of landline customers to other options, I suspect that it may
                  be awhile, if ever, that HawTel goes that route.

I was reading HawTel's fillings with the DCCA-CATV division. Evidently you
                  won't be obligated to get their DSL, if you want their IPTV (television)
                  service.But I figure you'd still have to pay for the landline. (Bottom line,
                  with DSL and IPTV, they are attempts to stem the landline exodus to
                  Oceanic digital phone etc)

If you don't need a super fast connection, but faster than dialup Clearwire
                  is a possibility. But if your intention is to replace your landline, bear in mind
                  VoIP may not work with Clearwire.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

oh - didn't know it was called a "dry loop". Thanks - I just learned something new!

I haven't had a landline for about 6 years - since I switched to RoadRunner. I use only cellular - thats why having to pay for a useless landline is an issue for me. I used to have landline, answering machine (so I wouldn't have to pay for voice mail ), pager & cell. One day I realized - I never used anything but the cell & was just throwing money away.
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

oh - didn't know it was called a "dry loop". Thanks - I just learned something new!

I haven't had a landline for about 6 years - since I switched to RoadRunner. I use only cellular - thats why having to pay for a useless landline is an issue for me. I used to have landline, answering machine (so I wouldn't have to pay for voice mail ), pager & cell. One day I realized - I never used anything but the cell & was just throwing money away.
                      It is also called, "naked DSL". But I like the term "dry loop" when describing
                      that kind of DSL.Anyway,that being said, you sound like a perfect candidate
                      for Clearwire, as long as the slower speeds are okay with you . Then you
                      could save between approximately $9.00 to $15.00 a month over Road Runner.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Nah, I think I like the "naked" name better <leering, grinning>. Actually, I have a deal with Oceanic that gets RoadRunner at less than advertised price so I'm really not complaining. Well, at least I DID have a deal unless some Oceanic person is lurking on here
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm betting that within a year, Clearwire will have advanced its technology to the point where (1.) bandwidth is significantly higher, or at least directly competitive to wired solutions, and (2.) devices can be powered by battery or USB, and no longer tethered to a wall plug or automotive transformer. So I see the current offering more as an appetizer.

That folks are still seeing it as an attractive or viable option should make Oceanic and HiTel nervous. So it's not as fast, and a hardcore online gamer would opt out. Well, most broadband customers aren't hardcore online gamers! If they can browse the web and get e-mail, they're happy.

I'd consider it, even for a single residential location, for the price... but I move a lot of multimedia, and move it both down and up, and for that application, Clearwire is just a little too restricted. Their reluctance to open up to VOIP apps is also a ding against them.

But, overall? Clearwire is cheaper, and semi-portable. If you ran a small business and were previously paying for DSL or RoadRunner both at your office and at home, now you can drop one connection and just take your Internet link with you wherever you happen to be! If you go to lots of meetings or give lots of presentations, you don't have to worry about hooking up a modem or getting onto a corporate network -- just plug in at the conference room and go! There are plenty of scenarios where it makes perfect sense. And again, I think the bandwidth and hardware will get better.
                          Last edited by pzarquon; September 8, 2006, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            I'm betting that within a year, Clearwire will have advanced its technology to the point where (1.) bandwidth is significantly higher, or at least directly competitive to wired solutions, and (2.) devices can be powered by battery or USB, and no longer tethered to a wall plug or automotive transformer. So I see the current offering more as an appetizer.
                            I certainly hope so, as at this point I'm not really too excited by their
                            entry into the Hawaii market because of the slow speeds offered.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              I'm betting that within a year, Clearwire will have advanced its technology to the point where (1.) bandwidth is significantly higher, or at least directly competitive to wired solutions
                              I doubt it. There are more limitations on wireless service then wired. Sprint and Verizon also have wireless plans that are truly mobile, just not as cheap. Maybe this will get them to lower their prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                                29.99 =Up to 768K/256K service
                                36.99 =Up to 1.5Mbps/256K service
                                oh yikes! I'll pay $10/mo and $15/mo for that! Need second job at Walmart greeter to pay those rates!

Comment

Working...
                                X