Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

Originally posted by Dale
    oh yikes! I'll pay $10/mo and $15/mo for that! Need second job at Walmart greeter to pay those rates!
    Not add salt to the wounds, but the monthly standard rate does not include re-ocurring 4.99 modem rental fee.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1592/57566

It looks like I was wrong. He apparently does not work for Clearwire.
      This was my response back to him though.

Yes you have to have a landline to get Hawaiian Telcom DSL.I don't know where you got your 57.00 figure from. But when I had a landline in the past it costed 25.00 approximately.The 29.99 rate for Hawaiian Telcom DSL is with a year contract .Yes a landline is required for DSL, but to get the DSL at the discounted rate, you just have to sign up for a year.

As for as I recall, Clearwire has similar contract terms 1-2 years. Plus a 4.99 modem rental fee.I've never had an extended outage with Hawaiian Telcom. I've had DSL through them since April 2004. They've been courteous and helpful whenever I've had issues. Why should Oceanic or Hawaiian Telcom adjust their rates ?Clearwire has pathetically slow speeds for about the same
      rate as Hawaiian Telcom DSL or Road Runner.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Wireless technology may advance to be smaller and convenient but laptop battery life will still suck.

BTW, has anyone here tried Skywave? Its wifi. I'm trying to find out if its a decent alternative for out of office work but still be in downtown or Waikiki.
        Last edited by i-hungry; September 13, 2006, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Our store just got a couple of units ready for sale. While at the training, the speed was below 500kbps, but it wasn't that slow.

You can either lease the units or buy the unit at sale, but just as a heads up, they're getting a PCMCIA card sometime next year.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I was talking to a Verizon Wireless sales person the other day and they indicated that their Broadband service will be available soon on their air-cards on Oahu. That should give subscribers "over 500-Kbs" speeds via their Cellular network and would be available wherever there was a digital cell signal in the coverage area.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I did a speed test from testmy.net, and even though it has 4 bars in our store, I still got 1mbps, which is good since we're surrounded by concrete walls and other wireless frequencies.

Comment

I ran a testmy.net speed test, and here's the result:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
                Download Connection is:: 773 Kbps about 0.77 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)
                Download Speed is:: 94 kB/s
                Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 2)
                Test Time:: 2006/10/01 - 12:21am
                Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.89 sec
                Tested from a 748 kB file and took 7.922 seconds to complete
                Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 50.99 % of your hosts average (clearwire-dns.net)
                D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-RWFCNT37D
                User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 [!]

Atleast I'm not sharing my connection with my family members.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                  the thing about clearwire is the portability. all you do is plug in the a/c and the ethernet,[...]
                  Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                  [...]but like I read in this thread (and what I understood after I left the kiosk) was that you need to have the modem connected to the computer and powered.[...]
                  So...am I understanding correctly that with Clearwire I can't have the modem in one room and my computer in another room like I currently do with DSL, a wireless router and an airport card? Is Clearwire a wired connection only?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    So...am I understanding correctly that with Clearwire I can't have the modem in one room and my computer in another room like I currently do with DSL, a wireless router and an airport card? Is Clearwire a wired connection only?
                    You can use your traditional wired and wireless router with Clearwire
                    Clearwire Networking.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      You can use your traditional wired and wireless router with Clearwire
                      Clearwire Networking.
                      Thanks, Konaguy. That's good news. Unfortunately Makaha isn't in the coverage area yet otherwise I'd try it.

Comment

Thanks, Konaguy. That's good news. Unfortunately Makaha isn't in the coverage area yet otherwise I'd try it.
                        Yeah unfortunately it isn't covered yet. Hopefully by then they might boost the
                        speeds. As depending on your needs, up to 1.5Mbps/256Kbps might not cut it.
                        It certainly wouldn't for me.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Did you try and check the address at the website, or did you look at the map?

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            [...]As depending on your needs, up to 1.5Mbps/256Kbps might not cut it.
                            It certainly wouldn't for me.
                            I'd be willing to give it a test run knowing that if it's too much slower than DSL, I wouldn't be interested. I'm used to that speed and would get frustrated with going backward. OTOH, getting rid of my home land line expense and my office DSL expense is enticing!
                            Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            Did you try and check the address at the website, or did you look at the map?
                            I looked at the map. Coverage goes as far as Makakilo.

I just love the new, multi-quoting feature!

Comment

Out of curiousity, I brought my clearwire modem home to Wai'anae to try as the their coverage map shows connection possible near my area. No luck, not able to get any connection as of yet.

Comment

sorry if this has been said before... i just did a quick scan... however didn't look through all the external links...

But what is the price after first initial 3 months of get you in the door @19.95 and how long are you held to that next larger rate?

Basically...what is the cost for everything monthly after the first 3 months?

Comment

Working...
                                X