Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clearwire: New player in the broadband market

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I'd be willing to give it a test run knowing that if it's too much slower than DSL, I wouldn't be interested. I'm used to that speed and would get frustrated with going backward. OTOH, getting rid of my home land line expense and my office DSL expense is enticing!
    Another possibility is Road Runner Lite. Oceanic doesn't advertise it. But
    it is 768K/128K connection for 25.95 a month. I don't think cable tv service
    is required. Regular Road Runner service (5Mbps/384K) is 44.95 without
    cable tv service.

As for HawTel DSL, to me there is difference between 3Mbps/768K service
    vs 1.5Mbps/384K service. I do a lot of downloading. Thus anything less than
    3Mbps is too slow for me.

In regards to Clearwire, as far as I recall VoIP may not work with their service.

link

"Although Clearwire's service works well for typical applications such as e-mail and Internet browsing, it doesn't yet make sense as a phone service connection. That's because Clearwire has no immediate plans to offer its own voice over Internet protocol based phone services in Honolulu. Also, the company cannot guarantee that access to third-party Internet calling services such as Vonage and Skype won't be inadvertently interrupted or blocked.The way we manage our network is such that we do require voice over IP providers to get certified," Inn said."

So in another words, dropping your landline for VoIP over Clearwire may not work.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      sorry if this has been said before... i just did a quick scan... however didn't look through all the external links...

But what is the price after first initial 3 months of get you in the door @19.95 and how long are you held to that next larger rate?

Basically...what is the cost for everything monthly after the first 3 months?
      The regular rate is 29.99 + 4.99 Modem rental fee (768K-256K)
      36.99 + 4.99 Modem rental fee (Up to 1.5Mbps-256K)
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        Another possibility is Road Runner Lite. Oceanic doesn't advertise it. But
        it is 768K/128K connection for 25.95 a month. I don't think cable tv service
        is required. Regular Road Runner service (5Mbps/384K) is 44.95 without
        cable tv service. Once I hear that service is getting close to being offered along the Waianae Coast, I'll test it out.
        [...]
        So in another words, dropping your landline for VoIP over Clearwire may not work.
        Roadrunner for businesses, even one person businesses like mine, is just too expensive. If I had RR Lite at home I'd still need commercial RR in the office. When I used dial-up thru Lava Net I had one monthly fee ($24.) and I could use it at home or at the office. That's why Clearwire piques my interest.

So far I'm not really interested in VoiP 'cuz I don't want to be tethered to the computer. I would rather give up my land line in favor of my cell, to which both home and office land lines are forwarded almost full time anyway! My cell phone fits in a little pocket in my beach chair. I can't say the same for my laptop!

Comment

The regular rate is 29.99 + 4.99 Modem rental fee (768K-256K)
          36.99 + 4.99 Modem rental fee (Up to 1.5Mbps-256K)
          I think the modem can also be purchased for $99.99.

Comment

Roadrunner for businesses, even one person businesses like mine, is just too expensive. If I had RR Lite at home I'd still need commercial RR in the office. When I used dial-up thru Lava Net I had one monthly fee ($24.) and I could use it at home or at the office. That's why Clearwire piques my interest.
            Yeah I can see what you mean. You seem to be a perfect candidate for
            portable broadband that Clearwire offers.The RR Biz Class accounts start at
            $ 79.95-ouch
            The Kona Blog

Comment

link

DOCKET NO. 06-0351--CLEARWIRE TELECOMMUNICATIONS
              SERVICES, LLC APPLICATION FOR A COA, FILED ON AUGUST 28, 2006.

It appears Clearwire is seeking the authority to offer their VoIP service here.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

link

DOCKET NO. 06-0351--CLEARWIRE TELECOMMUNICATIONS
                SERVICES, LLC APPLICATION FOR A COA, FILED ON AUGUST 28, 2006.

It appears Clearwire is seeking the authority to offer their VoIP service here.
                And that makes how many players in the internet/phone service?

I'm just waiting to LMAO when there's a blackout and no one can call anyone because their modem is w/out power.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Hawaiian Telcom, Oceanic, Pacific LightNet are ones locally whom offer
                  internet and phone service. Now it will be interesting to see Clearwire
                  thrown into the mix.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Yeah I can see what you mean. You seem to be a perfect candidate for
                    portable broadband that Clearwire offers.The RR Biz Class accounts start at
                    $ 79.95-ouch
                    HT business DSL currently starts at $59.99. I'm sure it used to be cheaper then that. But with RR so high, I guess they figured why be that much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      HT business DSL currently starts at $59.99. I'm sure it used to be cheaper then that. But with RR so high, I guess they figured why be that much cheaper.
                      When it was Verizon, I believe it was 39.95 for a basic business account.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Sounds about right.

Comment

That's what I pay now. Hopefully I'm grandfathered in at the $39.95 rate (+ close to $5. in surcharges and taxes) as I signed up when it was still Verizon. My residential rate is still $29.95.

Comment

I don't know if its the weather or what, but I can't get my clearwire connection to work, even though it has 4 "bars". Is anyone else having trouble?
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                              I don't know if its the weather or what, but I can't get my clearwire connection to work, even though it has 4 "bars". Is anyone else having trouble?
                              Make sure your computer is set correctly. It needs to be set so that it gets all of information from the DHCP. I know of one guy who thought he had to have some static values but it wouldn't work.

Comment

That's what I pay now. Hopefully I'm grandfathered in at the $39.95 rate (+ close to $5. in surcharges and taxes) as I signed up when it was still Verizon.
                                You're fine. But what's your speed? I had a church that was at 768Kbit. Tried to find out how to get it "current". Turns out they aren't restricting things anymore. Although it's called a "768 plan" the speed is "full". But I wasn't getting full speed. So on their advice I called in a trouble ticket. Now we got 3Mbit under the old payments. Nice.

It wasn't all that long along ago that 1.5Mbit was the top speed, so it's worth checking. The HT tech had me check by going to http://www.aloha.net/speedtest/

Comment

Working...
                                X