Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DVD players

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    You got me stumped on this one, CW. The transport system should have no effect whatsoever on sonic quality of digital playback. It's not like it's susceptible to wow, flutter, rumble, speed variations, etc. of a turntable.

(I know, I know...none of this is as important as knowing "will it blend?")
    Here read this from Stereophile magazine on CD transport jitters and it's effects on sound quality

But read this review from Stereophile Magazine on the Mark Levinson No.31.5 Reference CD transport and you'll start to understand that the transport really makes a difference.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:21 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Here read this from Stereophile magazine on CD transport jitters and it's effects on sound quality

But read this review from Stereophile Magazine on the Mark Levinson No.31.5 Reference CD transport and you'll start to understand that the transport really makes a difference.
      You do realize that these articles are more than fourteen and eleven years old, respectively, and that the advances in digital-audio technology have included dramatic understanding and correction of issues of jitter, yes? These days, jitter correction (as the 1993 article even stated, little understood at that time) is handled by manufacturers by extracting the contents of a CD in a continuous read, so the drive will not suffer from seek jitter.

Comment

I cannot fathom the reason why for anything more than a three disc changer (even that can be too much). To sit thru more than one movie at a time even for this couch potato is too much for me.
        A six or seven disc DVD player could handle a complete season of TV episodes. Not that one could actually sit through 22-24 forty five minute episodes at a time but one could look at 3 or 4 episodes without swapping discs.

Comment

You do realize that these articles are more than fourteen and eleven years old, respectively, and that the advances in digital-audio technology have included dramatic understanding and correction of issues of jitter, yes? These days, jitter correction (as the 1993 article even stated, little understood at that time) is handled by manufacturers by extracting the contents of a CD in a continuous read, so the drive will not suffer from seek jitter.

Oh yeah? Okay...so...will it Blend?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Not that one could actually sit through 22-24 forty five minute episodes at a time...
            Not that I wouldn't like the occasional opportunity to try.
            Oh yeah? Okay...so...will it Blend?
            At those prices, it better. And make fancy coffee drinks - which would make ME jitter.

Comment

I take it the 400-disc Sony DVP-CX995V ain't quite what you mean?
              Not hi-def, AFAIK. Read its review on CNet. Mediocre, not favorable.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Not hi-def, AFAIK. Read its review on CNet. Mediocre, not favorable.
                Didn't say it was any good - just that it exists. According to specs:
                * Up-converts to HD resolution of 1080i/720p.

Comment

Not that I wouldn't like the occasional opportunity to try.At those prices, it better. And make fancy coffee drinks - which would make ME jitter.
                  Ahhh see it does make a difference It may not be Hi-Def just De-Caf

Comment

if you're a digital audio purist (oxymoron) you'll want the sonic resonant stability of a single disc transport system.
                    I've seen the links. (But haven't read the whole thing.) I'd sure like to see hard data. Or at least a A/B/X test. The Audiofile area is filled with junk science and marginally sane people.

Before I could distinguish when a High C note from a trumpet could resonate against the sampling rate of the CD Player and cause a harmonic breakdown of the audio. Now I swat around my head thinking it's a buzzing mosquito
                    Saw the perfect thing for you at City Mill this weekend (I wonder of HD has it?)- it looks like an electrified tennis racket. That will get that pesky mosquito!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Saw the perfect thing for you at City Mill this weekend (I wonder of HD has it?)- it looks like an electrified tennis racket. That will get that pesky mosquito!
                      I bought one of those zapper fly swatters here in Hilo at Cost U less (cheap knock off of Costco) and it worked great until someone slammed a fly with it against the refrigerator. Looks more like modern art with a handle now.

Comment

Didn't say it was any good - just that it exists. According to specs:
                        * Up-converts to HD resolution of 1080i/720p.
                        Ah, so it's an upconversion device. You can't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Comment

I've yet to see a hi-def DVD changer in the market.
                          Ah, so it's an upconversion device. You can't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
                          If you keep changing your spec requests, you'll never be satisfied, Random. An upconverter fits your initial comment regarding "a hi-def DVD changer," so that's what I responded to.

Comment

but will it...nevermind

Comment

If you keep changing your spec requests, you'll never be satisfied, Random. An upconverter fits your initial comment regarding "a hi-def DVD changer," so that's what I responded to.
                              Sorry, I should have more clear. I mean to say a player that reads hi-def DVDs (or 2nd-gen DVDs).

Comment

Working...
                              X