OEM operating system software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM operating system software

Anyone ever bought and installed those OEM versions of Microsoft's Windows XP or any of their operating systems?

The price is right at $125 at NewEgg for the Windows Media Center Edition 2005. When I viewed the licensing agreement it says you must be a system builder. I take it anyone who builds a computer is a system builder. This is for distribution to another party I guess.

What I'd like to know is will these OEM OS packages install as a complete generic stand alone operating system? The price at $125 is what's making me a bit apprehensive.

I'm thinking of purchasing this Media Center Edition for my upcoming media computer build, figuring this would work nicely with this project.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: OEM operating system software

I believe that OEM version of XP requires you to buy a piece of hardware
    e.g a hard drive, processor, video card etc. That being said is it Home
    or Pro ? If it is Home you might as well buy it at Wal-mart as 125 is a
    big pricey. If it is XP Pro go for it .
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

All it comes with is the manual (which shows you the exciting features of XP) a CD key and the CD itself.

I bought XP home for about $95 on newegg when I was building my computer also (bought it with a hard drive), and for about $130, the MCE is about the right price.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Good I was thinking it had to be a complete OS but the way MS prices it's stuff I was a bit hesitant.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm still using the OEM one that I got from Byteware back in 2002. It was $95 and I bought a mobo too. I think they were selling them alone if you wanted but I needed a new mobo anyway.

It's the plain-jane Home Edition one.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Anyone ever bought and installed those OEM versions of Microsoft's Windows XP or any of their operating systems?

The price is right at $125 at NewEgg for the Windows Media Center Edition 2005. When I viewed the licensing agreement it says you must be a system builder. I take it anyone who builds a computer is a system builder. This is for distribution to another party I guess.

What I'd like to know is will these OEM OS packages install as a complete generic stand alone operating system? The price at $125 is what's making me a bit apprehensive.

I'm thinking of purchasing this Media Center Edition for my upcoming media computer build, figuring this would work nicely with this project.

I've been using the OEM versions of XP PRO for over a year now on 2 of my computers. One for my wife's laptop and another for my personal desktop that BSOD'ed on me recently. I slipstreamed it to SP1 and then to SP2. so far it runs solid. I'm a microsoft system builder and it has its perks in pricing discounts. The understanding for purchasing an OEM OS is to buy a piece of hardware usually the mobo to get the OEM price. Byteware used to do that a while back when they were still in business. The OEM OS for win XP PRO is a complete install to answer your question.

I never installed the Media Center Edition though. A colleague of mine has it and say's its just a bit more better for multimedia applications etc.

Make sure you ghost your OS image for backup and recovery. Sure saves you a lot of headache and stress.
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Working...
            X