Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

Oh, and if someone could explain how a RoadRunner connection works when your closest cable line is 20 feet down the hall in another room, I'd love to know.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In our case, at least, they ran that coaxial cable along the wall, stapled tight in the corner, all the way over to the computer, meaning the cable was routed across a hall, over a door, behind a bookshelf and to the desk. Of course, it didn't take our kids long to yank at it, and the portion between the outlet and the door became something to trip over.

When we switched to DSL, of course, we ran the phone line the same way... but it was much smaller and easier to tape over.

When we move later this month, we're going to a pure Wireless-G solution... no wires at all, except from the wall to the modem and transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        I have a redundant line with Verizon, and I'm thinking of going with its DSL, but I've delayed because it wants 420mb of hard drive to load the thing, and that would use up about 1/2 of my available space (I also would have to reinstall the CD-ROM, but that's a separate issue).

Anyone have an opinion on Verizon's DSL?
        420MB of space? for what? are you sure about this? I don't have dsl but i think the installation is similar for road runner setup which takes virtually no space. let's see here what do you need for dsl? dsl modem, nic card, nic card drivers, protocols....did i miss anything?
        Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
          420MB of space? for what? are you sure about this? I don't have dsl but i think the installation is similar for road runner setup which takes virtually no space. let's see here what do you need for dsl? dsl modem, nic card, nic card drivers, protocols....did i miss anything?
          Well, I'm looking at the most recent offer from Verizon. It includes MSN Premium with firewall. Looks like that's what takes up the most space.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

We're still trying to figure out if it's worth the switch to Verizon dsl. We presently have RR but they nickle and dime you for everything. It seems like there are taxes to pay the taxed items! We'll have to figure it out soon...it keeps going up!
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Seems to me the comments on DSL here are generally positive, DSL is cheaper, and you can install DSL yourself (we just got a box in the mail, I hooked it up and got online all by my lonesome). Okay, that last point might not be a plus for some folks, but still... I'd say it's worth it.

We're moving from our apartment, which has DSL, to my mom's place, which has RR, and one of the first items of business is converting to DSL!

Comment

Working...
              X