Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

What service do you use (home, and if applicable, school/work) to surf the net?

After using dial up for the longest time, we moved up to Verizon DSL. The speed is fast, but I wish that they offered RoadRunner in my neighborhood.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

We had Oceanic RoadRunner, and dumped it in favor of Verizon DSL. No detectable difference in speed, comparable uptime (i.e. could be better), better price.

Comment

We use Roadrunner. No complaints here! its a nice fast connection, and always reliable.

its all gravy baby!

-vic
      Last edited by slickvic; May 24, 2004, 01:32 PM.
      Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

LavaNet, of course.

Comment

Road Runner, here. Internet service has become a utility, just like electricity and water and cable...

Comment

My ISP at home is flexnet (flex.com). The dial-up connection is a mere $9.95 a month, and sure, I miss certain things about high-speed connections, but for ten bucks a month, I can totally live with it.

Flexnet brags that for your $9.95, you get absolutely no tech support. That's just the sort of attitude that appeals to a guy like me. What I didn't know, I pretended to know and learned as I figured stuff out.

I was a user on Del Wong's F.L.E.X. BBS in the late eighties (it had two lines!), with a 300 bps modem when everyone else was up to 2400, so there's a kind of poetry in my current setup.

I like it. Huge recommendation from me.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Still using dial-up to Lavanet. One of these days I might go to DSL.

Comment

Flex is cool. I have helped a couple of people set up their Macs with Flex. Can't beat the price for their dialup.

Personally I use lava.net mainly because they helped me set up a good procmail spam filter so that the spam is blocked on the server level instead of being downloaded to my computer.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  I was a user on Del Wong's F.L.E.X. BBS in the late eighties (it had two lines!), with a 300 bps modem when everyone else was up to 2400, so there's a kind of poetry in my current setup.
                  i was a bbs user back when baud was 1200 max...in the 80's also. do you remember pc networks by bryan villados or bob silva's bbs?
                  Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

I like it. Huge recommendation from me.
                    By 1994 when Del became the first Hawaii ISP, he had TWELVE lines!!! He was the BOMB! I used to wonder who the heck this crazy guy was, spending all that money for 12 phone lines so we could have a free BBS!

As soon as Del went Internet, so did I. Back then, I often went by the handle of "MacCheap," or sometimes "ZZType." Who were you?!

Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I have commercial Road Runner to my house. I run a server with several domains and all the usual services. I'm subscribed at the 1 MB uplink service level.

Blaine
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

On most old BBS systems I was either "macpro" or "macstar". I use both for other message boards and one of my domains. I was macpro when I first started here.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

LavaNet via DSL. Both have never failed me. LavaNet is a good bunch of people who actually believe in their product.

Comment

"As soon as Del went Internet, so did I. Back then, I often went by the handle of "MacCheap," or sometimes "ZZType." Who were you?!"

Panther, of course. On Del's BBS and on his first ISP.

I started using it in 1986 on a dial-up MUD in London.

Comment

I signed up with Prodigy about four years ago and for the first three-plus years it was good (dial-up). Then it got acquired by SBC, which promptly did a deal with Yahoo (and gave me a junk browser as a default). It has one access line for the entire island of Oahu, and I have frequent problems with it.

I have a redundant line with Verizon, and I'm thinking of going with its DSL, but I've delayed because it wants 420mb of hard drive to load the thing, and that would use up about 1/2 of my available space (I also would have to reinstall the CD-ROM, but that's a separate issue).

Anyone have an opinion on Verizon's DSL?
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                              X