Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pzarquon
    replied
    Re: Who do you use as your "internet connection"?

Seems to me the comments on DSL here are generally positive, DSL is cheaper, and you can install DSL yourself (we just got a box in the mail, I hooked it up and got online all by my lonesome). Okay, that last point might not be a plus for some folks, but still... I'd say it's worth it.

We're moving from our apartment, which has DSL, to my mom's place, which has RR, and one of the first items of business is converting to DSL!

Leave a comment:

• Mocha
    replied

We're still trying to figure out if it's worth the switch to Verizon dsl. We presently have RR but they nickle and dime you for everything. It seems like there are taxes to pay the taxed items! We'll have to figure it out soon...it keeps going up!

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Originally posted by easTTriver
    420MB of space? for what? are you sure about this? I don't have dsl but i think the installation is similar for road runner setup which takes virtually no space. let's see here what do you need for dsl? dsl modem, nic card, nic card drivers, protocols....did i miss anything?
    Well, I'm looking at the most recent offer from Verizon. It includes MSN Premium with firewall. Looks like that's what takes up the most space.

Leave a comment:

• easTTriver
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    I have a redundant line with Verizon, and I'm thinking of going with its DSL, but I've delayed because it wants 420mb of hard drive to load the thing, and that would use up about 1/2 of my available space (I also would have to reinstall the CD-ROM, but that's a separate issue).

Anyone have an opinion on Verizon's DSL?
    420MB of space? for what? are you sure about this? I don't have dsl but i think the installation is similar for road runner setup which takes virtually no space. let's see here what do you need for dsl? dsl modem, nic card, nic card drivers, protocols....did i miss anything?

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

In our case, at least, they ran that coaxial cable along the wall, stapled tight in the corner, all the way over to the computer, meaning the cable was routed across a hall, over a door, behind a bookshelf and to the desk. Of course, it didn't take our kids long to yank at it, and the portion between the outlet and the door became something to trip over.

When we switched to DSL, of course, we ran the phone line the same way... but it was much smaller and easier to tape over.

When we move later this month, we're going to a pure Wireless-G solution... no wires at all, except from the wall to the modem and transmitter.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Oh, and if someone could explain how a RoadRunner connection works when your closest cable line is 20 feet down the hall in another room, I'd love to know.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

I signed up with Prodigy about four years ago and for the first three-plus years it was good (dial-up). Then it got acquired by SBC, which promptly did a deal with Yahoo (and gave me a junk browser as a default). It has one access line for the entire island of Oahu, and I have frequent problems with it.

I have a redundant line with Verizon, and I'm thinking of going with its DSL, but I've delayed because it wants 420mb of hard drive to load the thing, and that would use up about 1/2 of my available space (I also would have to reinstall the CD-ROM, but that's a separate issue).

Anyone have an opinion on Verizon's DSL?

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied

"As soon as Del went Internet, so did I. Back then, I often went by the handle of "MacCheap," or sometimes "ZZType." Who were you?!"

Panther, of course. On Del's BBS and on his first ISP.

I started using it in 1986 on a dial-up MUD in London.

Leave a comment:

• dick
    replied

LavaNet via DSL. Both have never failed me. LavaNet is a good bunch of people who actually believe in their product.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

On most old BBS systems I was either "macpro" or "macstar". I use both for other message boards and one of my domains. I was macpro when I first started here.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

I have commercial Road Runner to my house. I run a server with several domains and all the usual services. I'm subscribed at the 1 MB uplink service level.

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    I was a user on Del Wong's F.L.E.X. BBS in the late eighties (it had two lines!), with a 300 bps modem when everyone else was up to 2400, so there's a kind of poetry in my current setup.

I like it. Huge recommendation from me.
    By 1994 when Del became the first Hawaii ISP, he had TWELVE lines!!! He was the BOMB! I used to wonder who the heck this crazy guy was, spending all that money for 12 phone lines so we could have a free BBS!

As soon as Del went Internet, so did I. Back then, I often went by the handle of "MacCheap," or sometimes "ZZType." Who were you?!

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• easTTriver
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    I was a user on Del Wong's F.L.E.X. BBS in the late eighties (it had two lines!), with a 300 bps modem when everyone else was up to 2400, so there's a kind of poetry in my current setup.
    i was a bbs user back when baud was 1200 max...in the 80's also. do you remember pc networks by bryan villados or bob silva's bbs?

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Flex is cool. I have helped a couple of people set up their Macs with Flex. Can't beat the price for their dialup.

Personally I use lava.net mainly because they helped me set up a good procmail spam filter so that the spam is blocked on the server level instead of being downloaded to my computer.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Still using dial-up to Lavanet. One of these days I might go to DSL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X