Free virus scan that will repair/delete the trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free virus scan that will repair/delete the trouble

nice resource for anyone that doesn't know Trend-Micro's free scan is powerfull and with so many problems that can infect our onboard virus/spyware solutions and make the infection invisable this is a great tool
    my biggest PC security risk is me wife but she's getting better

Re: Free virus scan that will repair/delete the trouble

Yeah, it's a good service. The URL for it is http://housecall.trendmicro.com.

Comment

Hey, thanks fondoo and glen! I used it. any more freebies you guys know about?

auntie lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Your welcome 1stwahine.AntiVir has a free version for virus protection I like,used the German version one time to clean a nastie infection from a clients rig being in the German language the infection wasn't able to block the install/update had to guess thru the menu since I don't speak German but it worked.
        Ad-aware and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy are good free spyware protection programs just be carefull and get them from a repritable site because some spyware is posing as these and will infect you,infact I'll grab you the url's
        http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html for spy-bot
        http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506 for ad-aware
        http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=955 for antivir
        Last edited by Fondoo2; August 21, 2005, 07:32 PM.

Comment

thank you very much!

auntie lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Or my personal favorite: AVG antivirus.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              Or my personal favorite: AVG antivirus.
              nice one too,being a performance junky antivir just seemed to need less resource and only needs one service under run/msconfig/startup

Comment

AVG is a great freebie anti-virus software! I bought a 4-user license Norton 2004 anti-virus pack from Office Max for $99. After a year I'm ending my subscription because despite frequent upgrades Norton still allowed at least two viruses to get thru it's system. My wife's computer had AVG installed and she experienced no problems so I ended up uninstalling Norton and went to AVG's Lavasoft site and downloaded thru Majorgeeks and all's well in Keaau and the best part is that it's FREE!!!!

As for adware or those spyware programs that infiltrate your system, Ad-Aware SE is 1.06 is the latest version and it also is free. With both programs running that's pretty much all you need for protection other than a good firewall.

And you Mac owners out there, it's only a matter of time when Mac's will become vulnerable as it's popularity increases. The problem will be when it does happen and because of Mac's OS architecture, it will be even harder to develop and maintain an active free-based anti-virus/anti spyware programs out there.

One thing about Mac's is that to make it very user friendly, the designers of it's OS had to build it very complex. Instead of having to tweak many things at the user level, all these utilities are done for you making operating a Mac easier and worry free. But when things go wrong, suddenly that complexity becomes a nightmare for tech support. My friend writes programs (not utilities) for MacIntoshes and he tells me it's very hard to write for Macs as opposed to the standard PC's. He's a die-hard Mac user but after seeing how complex and vulnerable a Mac OS is once inside, he ended up running a Linux-based system and a Windows XP as back up.

I trust his judgement because he has been fiddling around with Mac's when the first Apple computer came out. He bought his at ComputerLand that sold exclusively Apple products in Honolulu. Computerland is no longer there. When we were in high school back in the mid 70's we built our own 4-bit computer that Apple eventually used to build it's Apple computer on. I think it was a 6085 processor chip. All co-processing required discrete IC chips unlike today's all-inclusive CPU's.

Anyway I go back a long way when it comes to Apple and as easy and unhindering as it is, when it breaks, Ho man get ready for some real headaches! Me I'd rather stick with the "simpler is better" approach. When a Windows based pc goes down there's a ton of free support and products out there to get you back again in a heartbeat. With Mac's you take a chance that WWIII won't happen. Unfortunately it will and when it does, better be ready to be able to fix your own as there's very little tech support and products out there for Apple.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X