Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cable Modem v. DSL

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    On the other hand, of course, you're getting into networking, and the configs on the Mac and PC may get fussy; I just don't know.
    It suddenly strikes me that if you've got a router and ethernet ports on each machine, you shouldn't need to unplug a thing. Just plug one machine into port 1 on the router and the other on port 2, and you should be able to do what you want just fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. With this new machine I'm thinking about, that was my plan; just plug the new one into the 4-port router with an Ethernet cable.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

It depends if the Macintosh and the PC are set to static IP addressing. If it is then both system might have the same IP address. If so then you can only have one system active at a time.

On the other hand if both systems have DCHP enabled (dynamic IP addressing) and the router is set to do that then yes both systems can be on at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        It depends if the Macintosh and the PC are set to static IP addressing. If it is then both system might have the same IP address. If so then you can only have one system active at a time.

On the other hand if both systems have DCHP enabled (dynamic IP addressing) and the router is set to do that then yes both systems can be on at the same time.
        My router for the Verizon DSL is dynamic. Verizon made no mention that I recall of static IP addressing; they certainly didn't give me an address to use for the setup.

Thanks, Helen.

Comment

The key is with the router. Depending on the make of the router, there are settings that deal with the network setup from your ISP (which is also your public IP settings or WAN). And there are settings that deal with the network setup the LAN which is where the PC and/or Macs would be connected to.

Comment

I dropped Road Runner a few months ago and got Verizon DSL. Thus far
            I have been very happy with DSL. Even though it is half as fast as Road Runner
            paying approx 15.00 less a month is a plus. On a unrelated note since Hawaii
            is a ex-GTE area Verizon uses DHCP not PPPoE here.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Well, today I got my first Verizon bill with DSL, and it's a mess. All the charges appear to be accurate, but because of the mid-month start it's got partial bills for dial-up, partial for DSL, next month's DSL, a couple of FUSF charges (which I gather are some sort of arbitrary fee/subsidy for rural service or something), and S&H for the DSL modem.

Long/short: $100

It'll be nice to see it next month when it's down to a simple couple of transactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                a couple of FUSF charges (which I gather are some sort of arbitrary fee/subsidy for rural service or something),
                My bill looked kinda funky too when I got the 29.95 rate locked in June
                for my Verizon DSL. Anyway the FUSF is Universal Service Fee is to
                fund enhanced telecom services in rural areas [Locally USF funds are
                repaying USDA RUS loans being used to build Sandwich Isles Communications
                network].

To give you the short answer the FCC doesn't require telecom providers
                to assess the fee. Verizon is just recovering the costs assessed on them
                by the Universal Service Fund.

http://www.universalservice.org/faqs/
                The Kona Blog

Comment

How long does it take from placing an order to actually getting Verizon DSL?

Hehe... I called Oceanic about a digital cable matter then I mentioned something about Verizon DSL, that I was thinking of saving some money and switching over. He was cool and told me about how RR was better and all but he would help me out if money was an issue. I didn't get the "$29.95 forever" deal but he did offer $10 off for the next 6 months.

Comment

About 10 business days, as I recall. They didn't have any DSL modems here (maybe they never do; who knows?) so it had to be shipped from the East Coast via UPS. I was pretty funny; I'd been stalling on getting DSL for months, so when I finally did I was checking the progress of the package via its tracking number about twice a day.

Comment

I looked at my paperwork. I ordered Verizon DSL on 4/20/04. The circuit
                      live date was 4/28/04. The modem etc arrived 3-4 days after I ordered DSL.
                      In reality the circuit was turned on 4/26/04 because when they were provisioning my DSL they mis configured the DSLAM. Starting on the Monday
                      until the 4/25/04 the phone line was unusable.Lots of bleeding on the line.
                      As it turned out they misconfigured the ports.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I've set up DSL three times, and each time, we got the modem before the "live date," which turned out to be pretty frustrating, in that good way. I hear you about the line noise, though. It wasn't an issue at our apartment, but here in Mililani, we definitely needed to use those included filters to make our other phones and my fax machine functional again.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          I've set up DSL three times, and each time, we got the modem before the "live date," which turned out to be pretty frustrating, in that good way. I hear you about the line noise, though. It wasn't an issue at our apartment, but here in Mililani, we definitely needed to use those included filters to make our other phones and my fax machine functional again.
                          Well the funny thing was our phone line was working fine. Then the Monday before the live date our phone line was unuseable. I spent two days talking
                          to Verizon to resolve it. As it turned out they screwed up the DSLAM settings
                          when they were building my DSL circuit on our phone line.The upshot I got DSL two days early
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Verizon Online uses PPPoE in the East Coast only. DHCP is used in ex-GTE areas
                            in the Western United States. The difference between the two is PPPoE requires
                            you to login like a dialup account, DHCP does not.

I have Verizon Online DSL and been very happy with it.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X