Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini-Review of Sony 17" TV and PC Display (MFM-HT75W)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Review of Sony 17" TV and PC Display (MFM-HT75W)

This thread is about the Sony 17" TV and PC Display (MFM-HT75W). You can find this at Circuit City for $599.99, but a web-only special had it for $60 less, so I ordered it that way and picked up in the store: $539.99 + tax.

We were in the market for another monitor since our HP one was going kablooey. It kept shutting off and would only stay on for about 10 seconds at a time. We didn't have any real idea of what we wanted, except for maybe wanting a 17" or 19" flat panel LCD.

Dad copied down prices at Circuit City, and husband and I did our research online, looking at user reviews and other reviews (like editor reviews at CNET.com). Since there had been an issue about needing another tv, but not really having the space for that, I started looking more into the tv tuner/monitors. I'm not even sure I was aware of these until recently. I remembered hearing about Web TV, but never about having tv capabilities with a monitor.

Looking at the monitors in person at Circuit City, we were really impressed with the Sonys. The picture just appeared so sharp. There is this XBRITE LCD technology which is supposed to enhance brightness, color and clarity. The screen is a slick, glossy surface. It's awesome.

After finding out that a splitter for the cable modem would do the trick for catching tv channels, we set it up and voila! TV!

You can use the monitor strictly as a computer monitor, or strictly TV, or even have PIP (picture in picture) while working on something, like I am doing right now! There are different modes of brightness for the computer setting, like Game, Movie, PC, and Auto. I like the "movie" mode best right now. There's still a lot I have to read about adjusting the color, but the "pc" mode is a little bit purplish for my liking. In tv mode, there is Vivid, Standard, Eco, and Auto. They go from BRIGHT to dim, like the computer settings.

This tv tuner/monitor has built in speakers along the front bottom. It's nice to not have separate speakers that get moved around on the desk, and it keeps everything looking neater. They sound great too. The four inches on the bottom house two three-watt speakers and a 5-watt subwoofer. Seriously, I don't know much about speakers, but from what I've heard while playing iTunes, they rock!

The included remote control is a nice accessory. You can easily go back and forth between pc use and tv, or choose PIP, or volume/channel controls.

Check this monitor out, if you are looking for tv/computer capabilities!
    CNET Review of the Sony 17" TV/PC Display (MFM-HT75W)
    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Re: Mini-Review of Sony 17" TV and PC Display (MFM-HT75W)

I bought a ViewEra 17" LCD monitor that has the standard D-sub connector for my PC plus it has an RCA composite video and an S-Video input as well. Like your Sony it also has two 3-watt stereo speakers built into its bezel that sound great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824138023

And this one costs only $272.99 but it doesn't have a tuner card, but with digital boxes nowdays, you'd be hardpressed to use the onboard tuner once analog cable service disappears.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      I bought a ViewEra 17" LCD monitor that has the standard D-sub connector for my PC plus it has an RCA composite video and an S-Video input as well. Like your Sony it also has two 3-watt stereo speakers built into its bezel that sound great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824138023

And this one costs only $272.99 but it doesn't have a tuner card, but with digital boxes nowdays, you'd be hardpressed to use the onboard tuner once analog cable service disappears.
      Ahh, so much for me to learn! In any case, we all seem to like this Sony, and I like the design of it. Yours sounds like a great deal. Have you ever had any problem with dead pixels?

I know with the set-up that I have the analog channels---sorry, I'm such a novice throwing these terms around---so I have all the "basic" cable, minus any extra pay cable channels (HBO, etc.). Is analog disappearing? I don't quite understand.
      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

The FCC is mandating all broadcast TV stations to convert to Digital broadcasting by mid 2006. The ruling however failed to include cable companies like Time Warner so you may have a slight reprieve when it comes to switching to Digital Cable.
        http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050609-4984.html

Right now you're okay with analog service but eventually even cable companies like Oceanic will convert it's entire cable subscribers to digital just to compete against Dish Network and DirecTV. Both satellite companies offer digital only service at much lower costs than digital cable.

But to answer your question, yes analog will eventually disappear and all analog tuners in today's TV sets and your Sony will have no practical use except to be tuned to CH 3 or 4 to pick up the RF signal coming out of your VCR or DVD player.

But fear not as quite a few retailers are selling Digital tuners that will send the final TV signal as a Channel 3 or 4 analog output to your analog TV tuner. WalMart is already selling Digital table top TV tuners for people like yourself who will need one when the FCC mandate becomes reality.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X