Any good laptop case/bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good laptop case/bag?

Hopefully I'm not jinxing the ebay auction, but if everything goes well, then 12 hours later, I've won a laptop (nothing special, just a PIII business laptop). Of course, I'll need a case if I want to bring it out of the house, so if you use a laptop, what case do you like? How should I choose one? Is using a backpack "better" for the computer? (so it'll be less likely to get stolen) How did you choose a bag? Did you bring it to compUSA with no "protection" and just stick it in the bags they got until you found one that fits snuggly?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Any good laptop case/bag?

When I first had my laptop, I bought a laptop backpack. It was one by Samsonite, but I can't even find it on the web anymore. That shows it's been awhile since that purchase. In any case, it had these ergonomic bar things in it, so when it's resting against your back it was pretty comfortable. Of course, my laptop was heavy enough by itself (not a laptop to be transported everywhere, everyday), so when I piled in everything else for school, it was a massive weight! But that backpack, once hoisted up on my back, did an excellent job.

Oh, and I did take my laptop when trying to find a case/bag. It's best that way, to see how it feels when carrying it.

I like the idea of a backpack sort of concealing the laptop. But many people, if they didn't suspect a laptop, must've thought I was transporting gold bars.
    Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

I agree that a backpack style is better. I had a Targus backpack style that I picked up at CompUSA. It has two shelves with the lower one (bottom shelf that lays flat against your back) for the laptop itself and the upper shelf for stuff like folders and such. It was such a practical and anti establishment case that my teenage boy just had to have one when I bought him his Dell Inspiron laptop for his graduation gift, so I gave him mine. Now that I'm retired I don't have a need to carry my laptop anywhere.

Another compartment in the front holds the bulky stuff with another forward pocket to hold your smaller junk like PDAs, pens and loose change.

One thing about briefcase style cases is that even with the shoulder strap it's bulky to carry if you have other things to carry. The backpack style just slings over your shoulder easily plus you can actually carry more stuff with them that are bulky like your lunch.

Plus it's not so obvious you're carrying a laptop in the backpack style so for security purposes, it's safer.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm very happy with my Targus laptop backpack. Sounds like Craig had a very similar model. It has a soft but firm panel against your back, a shelf for the laptop, then a wide pocket for all the other stuff you'd keep in a backpack. I'm especially fond of the outer pockets, two surprisinly deep zippered areas, one with the pen, card, and gadget slots that you'd expect, and then a second one that's still big enough to hold my digital camera. Thick straps, a top handle, and side pockets (one mesh, one for a cell phone) cap off its features.

I guess anyone looking for laptops probably knows what these bags look like, but I'll take something multifunctional and easier to carry than the traditional briefcase-style laptop case any day!

Comment

I think we do have similar models. I especially liked the pen/pencil holders that made it easy to find them. And tons of pockets! Like you said the shoulder straps are very comfortable being thick and padded well so it doesn't cut into your shoulders when packing in the whole army.

Another small but important factor is that the dual zippers can be locked for safety.

Comment

I bought a Samonite "Executive Backpack" (pictured below) at Sam's Club last year for around $40 and it's probably one of the best computer cases I've ever owned. It's well-padded and has enough room for my PowerBook, digital camera, PSP, iPod, PDA, cell phone, assorted battery chargers and adaptors, a couple of magazines, books, keys, sunglasses, pens and pencils, etc. It's even fallen off a luggage cart a couple of times and neither it nor its contents were damaged.

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

that looks better than the Targus for about the same price. Love those side pockets

Comment

I can't even find my Targus backpack anywhere. They still make laptop bags, but the all look like improvements over what I've got. I agree, though, the Samsonite model Jonah K posted looks great. Fully separate compartments for the laptop and the main compartment (mine is combined, but works fine for me), full-height outside pockets, and enclosed, zippered side pockets (mine are exposed).

Mine's lasted ages, and I'm sure Samsonite bags do, too, so clearly they're a good investment all around.

Comment

I love the shit out of my Boblbee Megalopolis (with the sidewinder packs). It's one of the few hard shell backpacks I've ever seen. Pretty cyber if you're into that sort of thing. If you can get past their absoultely awful flash design, you can check out:

http://www.boblbee.com
                  Last edited by kamapuaa; October 4, 2005, 01:48 PM. Reason: Added link
                  I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                  X