Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe that computers have feelings/are human?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you believe that computers have feelings/are human?

yeah well the Hawaiians loved the missionaries and there's a lot of healing to be had yet.

But then the Hawaiians loved Captain Cook...the other white meat and boy oh boy did they get nourished!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If computers and other inanimate objects had feelings, I'd be in big trouble. My Mac Plus would be complaining about neglect since I just have it in a corner covered up and mostly unused for months on end.... years maybe. It still works, but it is not practical for daily use. Several other old Macs that I have would have been screaming bloody murder as I took them apart and scrapped some of their inards or transferred them to a different computer.

All of the computers that end up at Comp USA on that big recycling day (occurs twice a year) would riot against their former owners and the people who deal with the recycled machines. Many are simply moved out of the cars that the people use to drop them off at the store to a big city garbage truck that the junk are tossed into and unceremoniously ground up on the spot. The others are wrapped in shrink wrap and sent off to God only knows where..... probably to be lobotomized for the tiny amounts of gold and other precious metals and components that may exist in their innards. The few useful lucky computers may be sent off to schools for a short extension on their life, where they too will eventually become obsolete and also scrapped.

None of the computers are crying. None are making noise. They are inanimate objects and all meet their fate in the same way as they did when they first rolled off the assembly line and into the store showrooms. No feelings, no nothing except for the noises and images they produce when running the software that programs the hardware to do stuff. That's all computers and other inanimate objects are... things.

There is no life in any of them.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh the agony of the cold cruel life of a computer. Shiny new on the store shelves one day, old and sick with viruses the next and if the final destiny of it's short life is in the shredders, some make it to the dusty shelves of Goodwill where they live out their lives amongst old GE clock radios and coffee makers.

That's why I go to my local donation shops where I buy old computers, and rebuild them for needy families where these outcasts of the 20th century have a place for their feeble lives to live out their final days with dignity.

And to think about 15-years ago a 486-DX with a double-speed CD-ROM was considered something to drool about. Sad but amazing

Comment

Criag and Mel, You two are very MEAN! I still say computers have feelings. Mine does. (yeah, baby?)

Auntie Lynn

Have a great Aloha Friday (Thunder Storms/Lightning)!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            None of the computers are crying. None are making noise. They are inanimate objects ... That's all computers and other inanimate objects are... things.

There is no life in any of them.
            Oh, yeah? That's what people used to say about cars!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              And to think about 15-years ago a 486-DX with a double-speed CD-ROM was considered something to drool about. Sad but amazing
              I should have kept the first computer I ever owned: an IBM 8086 with dual floppy drive (no hard drive and no modem). It was in pristine condition and cost more than $3,000 new. I bet if I still had it and put it on eBay, some collector would have bought it from me.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                Oh, yeah? That's what people used to say about cars!
                And some HT posters...

Auntie...I'm not mean but considering what I do to old computers I think I create Frankensteins. Everytime I build a computer and it boots up to the OS, I laugh out hysterically, "IT LIVES HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

My wife just because I'm outside in my patio when I'm tinkering on the build and most times it's around 1am. Good thing I live in the boonies on one acre of land.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  And some HT posters...

Auntie...I'm not mean but considering what I do to old computers I think I create Frankensteins. Everytime I build a computer and it boots up to the OS, I laugh out hysterically, "IT LIVES HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

My wife just because I'm outside in my patio when I'm tinkering on the build and most times it's around 1am. Good thing I live in the boonies on one acre of land.
                  Craig, I know you not mean. I knew you had it in you to laugh out hysterically too...we all have a bit of craziness in us. hahahahahahahha!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                  X