LCD or DLP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD or DLP?

Can't afford plasma and I am leary of the reported short lifespan anyhow. So I wrestling with the purchase of an approx. 50" LCD or DLP(projection) television. Any advice?

On edit: I suppose this should have gone in the Circuit Circus. My bad.
    Last edited by admin; October 3, 2005, 06:21 AM. Reason: Moved to 'Circuit Circus' forum.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Re: LCD or DLP?

The problem with LCD is the "ghosting" effect that is apparent with that kind of display.

Right now the best of the projection types (whether it's front or rear) is with the incorporation of Texas Instruments DLP technology integrated with LCD displays.

I've been searching for the right kind of display for the price and am leaning towards the rear projection DLP LCD screens. They probably give you the best display for the price.

For a good rundown on displays check out Smart Computing Magazine September issue. They give a pretty good rundown on all displays from Plasma to CRT.

One thing that kept me from front projection (projectors) is the lifespan of the relatively expensive bulb, then I found out the new rear projection DLP LCD sets also need the same kind of bulb replacement, so when it comes to front or rear projection, the bulb is a moot point.

Until Plasma's come down in price and can last longer, I'm sticking with rear projection DLP LCD as the best for the price.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      The problem with LCD is the "ghosting" effect that is apparent with that kind of display.

Right now the best of the projection types (whether it's front or rear) is with the incorporation of Texas Instruments DLP technology integrated with LCD displays.

I've been searching for the right kind of display for the price and am leaning towards the rear projection DLP LCD screens. They probably give you the best display for the price.

For a good rundown on displays check out Smart Computing Magazine September issue. They give a pretty good rundown on all displays from Plasma to CRT.

One thing that kept me from front projection (projectors) is the lifespan of the relatively expensive bulb, then I found out the new rear projection DLP LCD sets also need the same kind of bulb replacement, so when it comes to front or rear projection, the bulb is a moot point.

Until Plasma's come down in price and can last longer, I'm sticking with rear projection DLP LCD as the best for the price.
      Thanks. I broke down and bought the RCA 50" HD DLP yesterday at Best Buy. I got the extended warranty because of the bulb issue. Of course I had to get a home theatre setup to cover the sounds. Went with a 650 watt Yamaha system. This is all so much more than I've ever had before. Can't wait to get it all set up. The wife and I figured since our second is on the way we'll be at home a lot for at least the next couple years so why not have a great system. How's that for rationalization. Zero interest for eighteen months too.
      Last edited by sinjin; October 3, 2005, 05:40 AM.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Make sure you pay that credit card off in 18-months because that interest rate is outta this world!

I think getting an extended warranty is a excellent idea especially with something that big and expensive. That's also good the bulb is covered too. I think bulbs cost around $200 to $400 depending on lumens. I'm sure the extended warranty is way cheaper than replacing a bulb at cost.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X