Printer showing some errors with few week old ink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer showing some errors with few week old ink

Yes, the 'computer technician' needs help, but only because I don't like working with printers.

My Mom's printer (a HP P2355 all-in-one) is showing an error with the color ink cartridge, first saying that its used, then showing another error that says the wrong ink cartridge is inserted, even though the cartridge is a few weeks old and it didn't recieve any errors before hand.

I tried to reinsert the cartridge, restarting the printer, printing from the computer (which doesn't work), everything I could think of within the limited amount of time before I take the bus to school.

I had problems with the printer before (missing drivers on the computer, couldn't print from specific programs, etc) so this is getting to the end of my string.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Printer showing some errors with few week old ink

shoulda bought an epson!

(oh, and can't help mah sewf);
    shoulda bought a mac.

Comment

oh i see why the work and charge is undervalued; he will touch only part of yer system!

Comment

Are you using HP-spec'd ink cartridges and not off brand ones? I used to buy cheapo cartridges for one of my printers in the past and then I read that some of the off brand ones can do things like plug up the inkjets and other nasty things. So now with my Epson, I only buy Epson print cartridges even though they do cost more.

Miulang

P.S. when all else fails, it sometimes helps to read the user's manual troubleshooting tips
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

as in
          RTFM, eh?

I have used generic ink cart. in my epsons for years, without a problem.
          charmed life i suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
            My Mom's printer (a HP P2355 all-in-one) is showing an error with the color ink cartridge, first saying that its used, then showing another error that says the wrong ink cartridge is inserted, even though the cartridge is a few weeks old and it didn't recieve any errors before hand.

I tried to reinsert the cartridge, restarting the printer, printing from the computer (which doesn't work), everything I could think of within the limited amount of time before I take the bus to school.

I had problems with the printer before (missing drivers on the computer, couldn't print from specific programs, etc) so this is getting to the end of my string.
            I take it the computer in question is running some version of Windows? Does the computer in question knows that the printer in question is a HP-P2355? You said it was missing drivers, are you aware that the HP web site has the drivers available. Here it is for the P2355. Another hint, if you want to test a printer (and assuming the computer it is connected to is a Windows system) use the Windows print test page feature.

Comment

Helen hit it on the head. My friend had the exact same problem. The printer driver was outdated. He had a Lexmark, but the same problem. After you download the driver, totally turn off both the printer and computer for a minute.
              On the ink cartridges, I have used the cheapo Costco refill ones for a few years. Hasn't killed my HP OfficeJet yet. I even had to drill a hole in one cartridge. The trick is not getting ink all over creation when you do it.
              Aloha,
              Frank
              http://www.oahu-real-estate.biz

Comment

The ink cartridges were just bought a month ago, and has been in use for some time, but only now the problem occured. And their official HP cartridges, bought from Circuit City.

I'll try to find the manual online, because my Mom threw away the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                  The ink cartridges were just bought a month ago, and has been in use for some time, but only now the problem occured. And their official HP cartridges, bought from Circuit City.

I'll try to find the manual online, because my Mom threw away the manual.
                  If you have all of the HP software installed, try recalibrating the print cartridges. This may fix it.

Comment

Now that I think about it, what kind of error is it telling you? Can't find the printer? Nothing comes out? print shifted 10 degrees?

Comment

Even though the cartridges or the machine may be older, I would definitely try the drivers first. Sometimes new versions of programs, like Windows security updates will cause conflicts.

Here's an apparent patch:
                      http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=948971
                      Aloha,
                      Frank
                      http://www.oahu-real-estate.biz

Comment

Okay, I just got home and my Mom literally pulled me into her room and told me to fix the problem. I turned on the printer, which said that it need to align the cartridges. It did that, and I printed a txt document from the computer, and it printed with no errors.

Comment

Your mom sounds like quite a character.

You'll just have to see if the problem returns, which it might. Those thin copper imprinted electronic circuits on the cartridges sometimes get messed up from repeated removals and reinstallations.
                          Last edited by lurkah; October 4, 2005, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X