No announcement yet.

Anyone got any good 1gb thumb drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone got any good 1gb thumb drives?

Originally posted by Pomai
    My question is: Why on earth do PC manufacturer's still include a 1.44mb FLOPPY DRIVE?

Apple's got rid of the format ever since the introduction of the first iMac and has never looked back.

Which leads to this next question: Why on earth do portable boomboxes still include CASSETTE PLAYERS? Not only that, they give you DUAL CASSETTE! Why don't they just include 8-track players too while they're at it.
    My school just purchased new computers that has floppy drives on them (then again, they got the models that has integrated LCDs and DVD readers, so if they go south, then so will the whole computer), and on average, I see atleast 10 students pop in a floppy. Plus, you can make a computer explode with it LOL

And my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, although the primary reason why I don't put it back, is because I don't have any floppy disks to feed it.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

I was referring to the NEW PC's that are being sold. Not ones made say, 3 or 4 years ago.
      For the same reasons I mentioned before. Because there's still enough of a demand for fixed floppy drives, especially in the huge K-12 education market, not to mention the market for all the community colleges and other schools nationwide (and worldwide, for that matter) that have computer labs designed to cater to hispanic, migrant and other students for whom English is not their first language, and whose personal budgets might not enable them to even own their own computers. They attend classes and use those cheap floppy disks (usually donated by the school) for doing and saving their work on.

Back on-topic, I personally use a high-speed USB 2.0 1GB Lexar Sport flash drive that has a durable black rubber cap that actually becomes its own weather-resistant encapsulating carrying case from which, under normal use, it will never accidentally fall out of, and which has the narrow profile especially necessary for inserting into those front-loading USB ports mounted in poorly designed computer cases (Gateways are famous for this) that provide minimal side clearance which prevents wider-profile models like this one from being used.

Comment

Floppies are heading out the door but like lurkah implied, there's still a demand for them primarily schools. Thumbdrives are fine but if you lose them you lose a chunk o change.

Granted floppies are a bit more expensive than CD's however data transfer to a floppy is just a click and drag away, no cd burning software to transfer data.

Also not all computers have front-mounted USB ports so accessing some computers via USB connections can be cumbersome.

Floppies still have their place. I still use them simply because they work for small files like Word or Excel and if you lose em, no major loss. As for thumbdrives, people get all freaked out when they lose the cap for their thumbdrives!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X