• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

From the Seattle server:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-07-20 20:24:42 EST:
    1357 / 367
    Your download speed : 1357 kbps or 169.6 KB/sec.
    That is 8.9% better than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 367 kbps or 45.9 KB/sec.
    That is 11.3% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Just checking back with you all after my upgrade from frame relay to ATM.
      My current speeds:

Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
      click START to begin
      Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
      running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 626.95Kb/s
      running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.60Mb/s
      Your Workstation is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

And from DSL Reports:
      2364 / 651
      Your download speed : 2364 kbps or 295.6 KB/sec.
      That is 94.8% better than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 651 kbps or 81.3 KB/sec.
      That is 60.3% better than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Unreal! My old connection maxed out at around 600 kbps downloads, and crawled around at 70 kbps whem my problems began earlier this month. If anyone else is on the old Fujitsu modems i strongly suggest trying for the upgrade. Downtime during the transition was only about a day, and the new modem was a free exchange for the Fujitsu.

BIG MAHALOS to Konaguy for his knowledge and assistance in all this. And good luck to the everyone here.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by futless
        BIG MAHALOS to Konaguy for his knowledge and assistance in all this. And good luck to the everyone here.
        Greg, no problem . Happy to help I'm also happy you are getting rocking speeds
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

well hello everyone as you can see i just joined this forum

anyways ive been reading some of these posts ever since my hawaiian tel dsl has been s**t there seems to be no advertising of what speed they offer, but i am paying the 29.95 a month which with verizon dsl i was getting a constant 1.5mbs still kind of junk for a 3mbs connection.

i was wondering if anyone knew what the advertised speed of hawaiian tel is my speed right now is in the 200kbs to 300kbs not even close to what i was getting, aslo ive been looking all over the internet to find out how to get line stats for my modem, its a westell wirespeed model no. B90-210015-04, and cant find anything so if you could help me out on that.

thanks
          -amig

edit: i live in ewa, does anyone in ewa have hawaiian tel dsl?

Comment

The Doctor is in (Sorry I couldn't resist )

Hawaiian Telcom has two types of DSL speeds 1.5Mbps and
            3Mbps. With 1.5Mbps you should be getting 1200kbps
            (140-150KB/sec), with 3Mbps you should be getting 2300-2600kbps
            (250-300KB/sec)

I would do speedtests http://www.dslreports.com/stest. Do only
            the West Coast ones. Its unfournate the handy UH Manoa
            speedtest is down

http://farnsworth.uhnet.net:7123/

Post your results and please clarify if you have a 1.5Mbps or 3Mbps connection.
            It sounds like nonetheless you really need to call up HawTel and get a trouble ticket done.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

well im still not sure on what my connection is ill probably find out soon but anyways i did conduct two tests at around 12am in the morning and the results:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-07-25 05:57:50 EST:
              368 / 375
              Your download speed : 368 kbps or 46 KB/sec.
              That is 70.8% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 375 kbps or 46.9 KB/sec.
              That is 6.9% worse than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

and

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
              click START to begin
              running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 388.39Kb/s
              running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 523.79kb/s
              Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
              Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Comment

I'm probably going to take a guess and say you have a 1.5Mbps/384K
                connection. That being said your speeds are utterly horrible. I highly
                recommend you call up Hawaiian Tel and get a trouble ticket.

On a positive note, Hawaiian Telcom's bandwidth supplier finally cut over the new additional bandwidth last night as far as I found out today.
                Last edited by Konaguy; July 25, 2006, 03:48 PM.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

According to Hawaiian Telcom, sometimes slow speeds are caused by dangling phone cords. Dangling them causes the copper contacts to disconnect, causing static in your lines, and slowing down your DSL.

Or so they say.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

hi all,
                    i finally got around to call hawaiian tel and got in touch with a technician, and finally my dsl connection is fixed:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-02 01:45:57 EST:
                    2408 / 701
                    Your download speed : 2408 kbps or 301.1 KB/sec.
                    That is 77.9% better than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

Your upload speed : 701 kbps or 87.6 KB/sec.
                    That is 57.1% better than an average user on hawaiiantel.net

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3a
                    click START to begin
                    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 741.62Kb/s
                    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.62Mb/s
                    Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

i had to wait about 1/2 to get in touch with a tech and another hour for the problem to be fixed but im happy with the results thanks to everyone for your information and a special thanks to konaguy

Comment

No problem, happy to lend a hand and be an assistance
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I called a technician and they said my problem may be related to the distance between my modem and the phone jack. My modem is connected to the phone jack through a regular 50ft phone cord. The tech said that these types of lines will degrade over time, resulting in my persistently slow speeds. He also said that regular phone cords pick up a lot of noise.

Now I'm debating whether I should go out and buy a 50ft ethernet cord instead. Would it be worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by davidl966
                          I called a technician and they said my problem may be related to the distance between my modem and the phone jack. My modem is connected to the phone jack through a regular 50ft phone cord. The tech said that these types of lines will degrade over time, resulting in my persistently slow speeds. He also said that regular phone cords pick up a lot of noise.

Now I'm debating whether I should go out and buy a 50ft ethernet cord instead. Would it be worth it?
                          If you are going to use it to connect from your phone jack to the modem,
                          an ethernet cable will not work . What I'd try to do is A) try to use
                          a closer phone jack A1) If thats not possible, I'd try to get a closer phone
                          jack installed or B) I'd try to find a shielded phone cable.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

My home has 4 phone jacks, 1 in the living room and 3 in each bedroom. Ironically each phone jack is configured for a different phone number. The current phone jack that is active is the one in the living room, which is 50ft away from my bedroom.

How would I configure the phone jack in my bedroom so that it shares the same number with the phone jack in my living room? If I can access the phone jack in my bedroom then my 50ft phone cord could be reduced down to 5ft.

I would rather not open up an extra phone line just for DSL. How much would it cost to have my phone jacks rewired?
                            Last edited by davidl966; August 6, 2006, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidl966
                              Thanks for your quick reply.

My home has 4 phone jacks, 1 in the living room and 3 in each bedroom. Ironically each phone jack is configured for a different phone number. The current phone jack that is active is the one in the living room, which is 50ft away from my bedroom.

How would I configure the phone jack in my bedroom so that it shares the same number with the phone jack in my living room? If I can access the phone jack in my bedroom then my 50ft phone cord could be reduced down to 5ft.

I would rather not open up an extra phone line just for DSL.
                              Let me get this straight, you have four different phone numbers for each jack
                              in the house.... I'm not going to try to figure that one out

One possibility is having a professional switch the lines in the network interface box outside your house. Another possibility is having a dedicated
                              cable run from the Network Interface to your room . Lastly you could
                              move your computer closer to the phone jack with the DSL signal.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm pretty sure David meant 4 phone numbers total, one in each bedroom and one in the living room. He may have multiple jacks in each room for each number, but...

Anyway, David, if you're still crazy enough (like me) to be paying $5/month for what's called "Inside Wire Maintenance" a phone company tech will come out and rewire jacks more or less any way you want them, and it's essentially prepaid. At least, that's been my experience. If there's already wire into the house, there's no additional charge for the work.

If you're not paying the wire maintenance fee, it'll probably cost you about $50 to have a tech come do that kind of work.
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X