Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

It seems like all the slow downs were caused by Hawaiian Telcom. I did not change any settings and I'm still using my 50ft phone cord for the connection that "supposedly" picked up a lot of noise and reduced my speed below 1 Mbps. Recently this week I noticed that I was connected at maximum speed consistently.

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
    Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 388.36Kb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.32Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
    OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
    Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.5.0_08

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
    Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
    Link set to Full Duplex mode
    No network congestion discovered.
    Good network cable(s) found
    Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 241.02 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
    No packet loss was observed.
    This connection is receiver limited 95.36% of the time.
    Increasing the current receive buffer (38.0 KB) will improve performance
    This connection is network limited 4.33% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
    RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
    RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
    RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
    RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
    RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
    Packet size is preserved End-to-End
    Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

estimate = 46.22 based on packet size = 11Kbits, RTT = 241.02msec, and loss = 1.0E-6
    The theoretical network limit is 46.22 Mbps
    The NDT server has a 1088.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 35.28 Mbps
    Your PC/Workstation has a 38.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 1.24 Mbps
    The network based flow control limits the throughput to 1.29 Mbps

Client Data reports link is 'T1', Client Acks report link is 'T1'
    Server Data reports link is 'T1', Server Acks report link is 'T1'

It looks like Hawaiian Telcom added more bandwidth since the theoretical network limit was increased to over 45 Mbps. In addition, there is no network congestion nor is there any packet loss. I used to have both problems before.

I am dismayed that Hawaiian Telcom didn't tell me or any of their customers upfront that the slowdowns were caused by their end. However, I'm finally happy that I'm getting max speeds.

Comment

Yes HawTel added more bandwidth to the mainland weeks ago. That being said I'm not sure really what your gripe is. As the speed problems have already been resolved weeks ago.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Wow, this thread is still going huh? Actually I just wanted to say thanks to Konaguy for being such a big help. Once school started while I was having my speed problems I just had to bare with it. I guess now they fixed it and everythings ok for the most part. Just like to express my gratitude to the users who stayed active in this thread as a free service to the other people. You guys should get a medal or something.
        I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON
          Actually I just wanted to say thanks to Konaguy for being such a big help. .
          No problem, happy to help
          The Kona Blog

Comment

This is really daft. Though I'm on RR now, speeds are slow so I looked into getting DSL. I need a phone line first, which I dont need, but I understand why I would need one. HT wants to charge me $45 inital set-up fee. If a techinician has to come out, theres another fee. Since there are alot of jacks in this house, theres no way to ensure that the proper jack will be activated, so I'd have to pay a $95 fee to make sure the right jacks get turned on. Since I'm ranting, the $10-$15 monthly fee for basic becomes $20 after taxes. This is no suprise to anyone whos ever paid a phone bill, but still rankles.

Do you see why HT is losing/not gaining customers? If the DSL is too slow, I can cancel and get a refund, but not for the phone option which I dont need.
            I guess I'll test out clearwire or try to resolve my speed issues with RR.
            Last edited by Hellbent; September 11, 2006, 10:31 PM.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
              This is really daft. Though I'm on RR now, speeds are slow so I looked into getting DSL. I need a phone line first, which I dont need, but I understand why I would need one. HT wants to charge me $45 inital set-up fee. If a techinician has to come out, theres another fee. Since there are alot of jacks in this house, theres no way to ensure that the proper jack will be activated, so I'd have to pay a $95 fee to make sure the right jacks get turned on. Since I'm ranting, the $10-$15 monthly fee for basic becomes $20 after taxes. This is no suprise to anyone whos ever paid a phone bill, but still rankles.

Do you see why HT is losing/not gaining customers? If the DSL is too slow, I can cancel and get a refund, but not for the phone option which I dont need.
              I guess I'll test out clearwire or try to resolve my speed issues with RR.
              Yeah, I can see the predicament your in. It may be best you try to get your
              speed issues with RR resolved, as I suspect you'll be unsatisfied with Clearwire also.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Hmmmm, my mom is switching us from Hawaiian Telcom to Road Runner by the end of this month. Apparently she wasn't happy with the price of the phone bill along with the fact that they continue to charge her $15 extra for some surf safe thing that she told them to take off several times. So we're getting the digital phone and internet to go along with the digital cable with Oceanic TW in a package that will cost less than what we pay now.

I'm kind of annoyed, mostly because it's more switching of e-mails for me and because DSL has been good to us as far as internet goes. That and because most people I know switched from RR to HT because of various problems...so I'm kind of scared about the switch thinking it might leave us off worse with the internet but mom is the one paying for it so *shrug*
                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                  Hmmmm, my mom is switching us from Hawaiian Telcom to Road Runner by the end of this month. Apparently she wasn't happy with the price of the phone bill along with the fact that they continue to charge her $15 extra for some surf safe thing that she told them to take off several times. So we're getting the digital phone and internet to go along with the digital cable with Oceanic TW in a package that will cost less than what we pay now.

I'm kind of annoyed, mostly because it's more switching of e-mails for me and because DSL has been good to us as far as internet goes. That and because most people I know switched from RR to HT because of various problems...so I'm kind of scared about the switch thinking it might leave us off worse with the internet but mom is the one paying for it so *shrug*
                  I pay my dad 30.00 for my DSL service, since the phone line is his. My dads
                  total bill is around 62.00. I would surmise your mom is going to get Road
                  Runner, Digital Cable and Digital Phone. It is nice to bundle all the services,
                  but I feel uncomfortable having all that through one provider.

See I've had some bad customer service issues with Oceanic in the past.
                  On top of that the digital phone will not work if the power cuts out.In
                  other words it is not carrier grade service, like your Hawaiian Telcom
                  landline.

It amazes me people want to save money by switching their
                  primary phone line to a service that won't work if your Internet connection
                  is down or the power cuts out. Yes HT's or any traditional phone company
                  has archaic costs, but at least it will work if there is a power outage.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

As I said, competition is almost always good for the consumer.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../1071/BUSINESS

Comment

I've always been a strong supporter for Hawaiian Telcom DSL. Not anymore. The other day I went to pay my Bill. Ova $300.00. Yeah, you see right. I've been getting billed for DSL and Dial Up Services. I only use DSL. The error was caught last month.

My regular charges is $88.43 per month.

I dunno how my bill came up to a whopping $329.20!!!!

The representative called me and said they can't credit me for the past eight months but can give me three months credit. Still the other amounts is confusing to me. I pay $100.00 per month faithfully. Somewhere along the line between transition my phone bill got screwed up.

I going call them again. If they can not credit me for the past eight months, I going cancelle my services. I didn't use Dial-up. I use DSL. Sooooo stupid. As for the rest of the bill ~ I just going keep paying $100.00 till the bill PAU.

I don't call Long Distance...especially to my pals on Mars ~ The Lemurians. My calls to my Angels and to God is FREE!

Auntie Lynn

Btw: What are the other services available to me? Road Runner? What about for Internent Services?
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

RR is $45 a month on top of your basic cable bill (fastest). I think first 6 months are discounted tho. Clearwire is $30+ a month. Or if youre lucky you can get someones free wireless if you have a wireless card built in =p
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Hey guys!! How do I test my speed? I live in Honolulu and my speed is too fast for me. It's Speedy Gonzales x 10!!!! I want to take a test to show too. Pleazzzzzz!

Auntie pUpuLE

btw: I have a Westell.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
                          life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                            RR is $45 a month on top of your basic cable bill (fastest). I think first 6 months are discounted tho. Clearwire is $30+ a month. Or if youre lucky you can get someones free wireless if you have a wireless card built in =p

Actually I believe you can get Road Runner WITHOUT subscribing to cable
                            tv. Thus the rate is 44.95 + tax
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              Btw: What are the other services available to me? Road Runner? What about for Internent Services?
                              Firstly, I forwarded your "problem" to someone I know at Hawaiian Telcom.
                              Secondly, your other option is getting digital phone from Oceanic Time Warner.
                              The standard rate is 49.95, if you get it with standard cable the price drops
                              to 44.95. If you get it with Road Runner and standard cable it is 39.95 a month.
                              The digital phone allows unlimited long distance both local and the mainland.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by christa
                                LOLOLOLOLOLOL
                                I still never got it. And it's Auntie pUpule not LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X