Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    Update: I just spoke with the tech support people and was told they'd provision it to the higher speed and I should see it within 24 hours.

"Provision?" What the heck kind of jargon is that?

Update the second: That was fast. I just tested again, for grins. 2626 download, 568 upload.
    Update the third: So here I am two weeks later and right back down to the 1350kbps level. Why do you suppose that would be? I'd have thought "once provisioned, stayed provisioned."
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

gee only 1.3Mb/sec? Man some people are so spoiled. I'm lucky if I get 830Kb/s on wireless broadband.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Update the third: So here I am two weeks later and right back down to the 1350kbps level. Why do you suppose that would be? I'd have thought "once provisioned, stayed provisioned."
        Time to complain!

Comment

I did. It's back up to speed, and the guy said "maybe the system crashed that day and reverted back to previous settings."

Whatever, I'm glad he fixed it.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I did. It's back up to speed, and the guy said "maybe the system crashed that day and reverted back to previous settings."

Whatever, I'm glad he fixed it.
            I'm so friggin jealous Here's a screenshot of my Cnet bandwidth speed test of a mere 803.5Kb/s
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Craig, try this speedtest site at UH Manoa http://lrrr.uhnet.net/ndt/ .

I think it will give you a more accurate reading of your connection.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Wow, 1.69Mb/s that was pretty good
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I'm so friggin jealous
                  I forget, DSL doesn't make it out to your area?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    I forget, DSL doesn't make it out to your area?
                    According to Hawaiian Telecom on their website, zip code 96749 can get DSL, but when we tried to get set up, we were told it wasn't at our location. DSL stops 2-miles up the road.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      DSL stops 2-miles up the road.
                      Bummer. Is it due to equipment up the road, or is it just too long? If it's just too long, you might want to sweet talk them into actually testing. I believe the distance is a conservative theoretical. Actual may be better. However it probably won't be the best speed.

Comment

Ya know I wanted to try and talk them into it and letting me try but I know from experience that our telephone lines are so iffy to our home that even Dial up drops. That's the caveat of living in rural areas, not enough of a population base to make it economically viable.

Comment

Has anyone signed up for the new 7Mbps/11Mbps speed tiers from Hawaiian Telcom ? I'm just looking for some feedback on these service tiers ?
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm happy with 3Mbit. At work we have very high speed as my company acts as a ISP for customers. But frankly I don't notice the difference. Downloads may be faster, but I don't do that all that often.

Even at 3Mbit, the speed of the server is a bigger factor then the link.

Comment

Check this out!

Last night when I returned home from work, I couldn't log in to my ...@hawaiiantel.net email account.

This morning I called and hung on for the 20 minutes to talk with a tech.
                              He discovered that my account had been disabled, but couldn't give me a reason why.
                              Said we'll wait an hour to see if it resets and he'd call me back.
                              Over 2 hours later I called, speaking with another tech and was told the same thing.
                              But he figured my account was tagged as spamming!
                              I have AVG installed that checks incoming/outgoing mail and a firewall.
                              Yesterday I sent a couple of photos to many in my address book at the same time.
                              The tech suggested I not do that, to split them up. Also he couldn't confirm if someone had reported it or an automatic HT system just "thought" it was spam.

I said shouldn't I be notified before disabling my account?
                              His response... "We wait for the account owners to call in for help.". WHAT!

I had to wait 15 minutes since hanging up to check if I can log in.
                              So I'm ranting here and will check shortly.

Sheesh

It works! I logged in, received emails, and returned to let you know I'm contactable again!
                              Last edited by Menehune Man; March 3, 2008, 12:01 PM. Reason: It works!
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                It works! I logged in, received emails, and returned to let you know I'm contactable again!

Right on, would you like your spam on top or inside your musubi?

Comment

Working...
                                X