Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Has anyone signed up for the new 7Mbps/11Mbps speed tiers from Hawaiian Telcom ? I'm just looking for some feedback on these service tiers ?
    I just setup turbo on RR, but I need to upgrade my router its capped at 10/mps..

Here is the speed test I just did from the link to Manoa on this page

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 974.0kb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 6.98Mb/s

I am in Waikiki... We pay $35 plus $10 for the turbo. I get 30 days to try it out. I think I like it. Question... why choose DSL over RR? Is it cheaper?, Faster? Just curious. I've been on RR since it first started here...

... brad
    Brad White
    sigpic
    http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

If you have Road Runner Turbo (8Mbps/1Mbps), you are getting what you are paying for. On the other hand if you have Turbo + (15Mbps/1Mbps) you are
      not getting what you paid for.

I'm still waiting for HT to upgrade my servicing central office to accommodate the new 7/11Mbps DSL tiers. When that happens, I'll be getting the 11Mbps DSL service. So I'll be able to give a firsthand opinion of this these new tiers.

It is my experience with DSL that you get your rated speeds more consistently than with cable.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
        Question... why choose DSL over RR? Is it cheaper?, Faster? Just curious. I've been on RR since it first started here...
        1. Oceanic's cable line in our neighborhood keeps flooding out. When it rains more than a couple inches the higher (analog) channels fuzz and drop, and the Internet signal would be gone. The tech did his best to waterproof the connections ("You have a high-freq suckoff problem...") but he said it'd be a chronic wet-weather issue.

2. Terrible Oceanic customer service, including the implications that I'm an idiot ("Is your computer turned on?") or a liar ("Nobody else in your neighborhood has reported a service problem.") This despite the tech's frank assessment of the problem. Since we've dropped RoadRunner, I've called Hawaiian Tel maybe twice in the time they've had the business (as opposed to quarterly with Oceanic) and each time it's been "Yeah, we're on it, [technical details], give us a couple hours" or "Hmmm... wait a sec... OK, try it now."

3. The first two issues have largely eliminated this third problem in our neighborhood, but RoadRunner is a shared connection. A couple heavy users on your street (or all the customers in an apartment building) can really slice down your share of the bandwidth. But you may not have this issue.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          Terrible Oceanic customer service, including the implications that I'm an idiot ("Is your computer turned on?") or a liar .
          I couldn't agree more about the customer service.. except the guys that come out have been very nice and did their best to help. But on the phone is just rediculous.

As far as speeds I have been very happy.. I updated my Router and got this speed in that test to Manoa..

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 973.0kb/s
          running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 14.37Mb/s

I have 30 days to make a decision about Turbo.. I am kind of enjoying it so I might continue.. though it cost some $$$ ... brad
          Brad White
          sigpic

Comment

I have the 7mbs from HT and really like it. The best thing about DSL is it rarely goes down. In the years I've had it,it's been down maybe 4 times and never longer than a couple hours. RR is down a lot. And they're customer service sux. I know- I used to work there. Plus the DSL is much cheaper than RR.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
              I have the 7mbs from HT and really like it. The best thing about DSL is it rarely goes down. In the years I've had it,it's been down maybe 4 times and never longer than a couple hours. RR is down a lot. And they're customer service sux. I know- I used to work there. Plus the DSL is much cheaper than RR.
              What do you pay for that service? When I get angry at RR I think of changing. I just went through a certain brand of router (DLink) needing to input DNS numbers because the RR DNS stopped working well. However a very old Negear had no trouble. Who do I blame?? Got very frustrated call tech support for both companies. To be honest I have had few downtimes.. like electricity going out in the neighborhood. Earthquake.. I can't remember an outright outage of the service itself in a long time.. of course my memory is probably getting shorter
              Brad White
              sigpic

Comment

Below is the pricing for dry DSL via Hawaiian Telcom. The pricing for DSL with
                a land line will cost more (probably 25.00 more).

3Mbps/768K is 34.99 a month.
                7Mbps/1Mbps 44.99 a month
                11Mbps/11Mbps 54.99 a month

39.99 for 7Mbps service (with landline)
                49.99 for 11Mbps service (with landline)

69.99 for Mychoice bundle (with 7Mbps service)
                79.99 for Mychoice bundle (with 11Mbps service)

If you are having DNS problems try http://www.opendns.com/
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Since I'm jonesing for more hd content, I'm making the switch to the OTW digital package + hd pak. I'm also switching my phone and internet service from Hawn Tel to OTW. I don't like the idea of possibly getting no phone service during an outage, but hopefully the cell network won't get hit at the same time. Basically, I'll be paying more for digital+HD+cable box, but I'll also be saving by switching on the phone and internet side, about $11.

Comment

Here's the content of an email I just received.
                    "Dear Hawaiiantel Webmail Subscribers,
                    This is to formally notify you that we are presently working on the
                    eXetel,and this can close your webmail account with Hawaiiantel
                    (Hawaiiantel PtyLtd) completely.

To avoid this, please send your
                    Surname: janetjin
                    Password: password
                    to Hawaiiantel (Hawaiiantel Pty Ltd) customer care email
                    address: hawaiiantel _customercare1@yahoo.com
                    First name:
                    Last name:

Please do this,so your Hawaiiantel Webmail account can be protected
                    from
                    being close from spam/phishing emails.
                    Your immediate response is highly needed"

You have got to be joking!
                    I's ain't fallin' fo' dat.
                    And neither should you.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X