• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy in Aiea

Who? Best Buy
    What? Grand opening
    When? November 18, 2005
    Where? 98-055 Kamehameha Hwy. (site of the former Tony Honda, across Waimalu Shopping Center, several blocks Ewa of Pearlridge)
    Why? To compete head-to-head against Circuit City in Pearlridge (and every other electronics and appliance retailer on the island)

For those who don't live on Oahu, Best Buy recently opened their first Hawaii store in the Iwilei business district on Alakawa street. They are a stone's throw within Home Depot and Costco. Some refer to the area now as Honolulu's "Big Box Block". Lowe's has (or had?) plans to open shop in this area also.

From what I understand, the upcoming Aiea Best Buy will have more square footage than Iwilei and will be multi-level - 2 (or more?) floors.

My friend just bought several major appliances from Best Buy. They beat Sears in price by an average of $50 to $100 per equivalent item, including the service contract.

Consumers certainly come out the winner in Hawaii's highly competitive retail industry.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Best Buy in Aiea

Just in time for the christmas shopping season!

Barnes and Noble, Borders, Bestbuy, they're all poised to bring some stiff competition to current stores, no matter where they are.

Lets here it for competition!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Lets here it for competition!
      no, "Let's there it for the mainlandization of Hawaii!"
      and the total disappearance of good service and local stores.
      yay.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        no, "Let's there it for the mainlandization of Hawaii!"
        and the total disappearance of good service and local stores.
        yay.
        But there are still some small mom/pop (computer) stores, such as Alliance computers in Kalihi and Personal Touch computers near the Honolulu compusa. Of course, use geeks go there because they're helpful and they always have the stuff the big box retailers don't have (no matter how big or how many locations they have).

I'm sure there are more local stores that most of use haven't heard of, its just that the big box retailer has the money to advertise.

And for those of you who are driving to the opening, where will you park?

Comment

Did anyone go yet? If so, how do you compare it to the Alakawa st. location?

Also, do you think they'll crush Circuit City?

Probably not, since Circuit City has a convenient location adjacent to Pearlridge center.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Did anyone go yet? If so, how do you compare it to the Alakawa st. location?

Also, do you think they'll crush Circuit City?

Probably not, since Circuit City has a convenient location adjacent to Pearlridge center.
            I went yesterday, and it wasn't as crowded as the Honolulu location on opening day (probably because this had 2 stories). IMO, its a cross between CC and Sears, so those two will have to work hard to gain customers. The prices are a bit more expensive than compusa in terms of computer products, and of course, the cell phone salespeople don't know jack.

The real test will be next week, especially on Black Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              I went yesterday, and it wasn't as crowded as the Honolulu location on opening day (probably because this had 2 stories). IMO, its a cross between CC and Sears, so those two will have to work hard to gain customers. The prices are a bit more expensive than compusa in terms of computer products, and of course, the cell phone salespeople don't know jack.

The real test will be next week, especially on Black Friday.
              I have to admit, given how many phones we seem to run through, the ad showing me a VTech cordless for $2.99 had some appeal. Buy Five!
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
              X