minidv to dvd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minidv to dvd

hi. i recently started converting my minidv tapes to dvd and have used nero 6 to do it but it certainly has it's limitations. one in particular that i hate is that when chapters are made, it looks something like this:

1. Chapter 1

which is redundant and stupid. i can change the Chapter 1 part, but it won't let me change the numbers. sigh...

anyway, my question is this:

if anyone out there does the same, what program do you use, do you like it and/or is there a program that you'd recommend?

nero 6 is very easy but i'd like to try something that has more control.

i'm going to install and use adobe's encore soon but i'm sure the learning curve may be a bit steeper.

suggestions?

ps: for those who just wanna a fast and simple way of converting your minidv tapes to dvd, nero IS very easy. the whole process is straightforward and simple.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: minidv to dvd

Originally posted by shaveice
    [...]
    ps: for those who just wanna a fast and simple way of converting your minidv tapes to dvd, nero IS very easy. the whole process is straightforward and simple.
    I'm not familiar with Nero. Is that computer software or a stand alone piece of equipment?

I record my casting sessions on mini-dv and burn a DVD simultaneously on Sony's DVDirect via a firewire cable. I still haven't taken the time to figure out chapters and continue to use DVDirect's 5 min. default setting. The biggest project awaiting me is burning all of my vhs tapes to DVDs!

Comment

Nero is a name of a company that makes software that allows you to burn CDs or DVD.

Comment

hi tutusue, what helen wrote is true but it's much more than just a software program that allows you to burn CDs and DVDs. for starters, when you connect your digital videocamera to your pc, it will capture your digital footage and store it on your hard drive as an mpeg file. after capturing your video, you can then create a dvd with a menu page, chapter links, etc. you can select a stationary image as a background or a moving/video file as the background. you can select what type of buttons you want, what font you want to use, what colors, etc. you can create chapters anywhere along the timeline, etc.

of course, when you're done with all of that, you can burn your dvd.

along different lines, you can create slideshows using static images or if you just wanna use the burning function, you can create music cds, data cds, etc.

you can see some of the products they sell at the link below and find more details by clicking on the various products.

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/Products.html

but as i mentioned, i'd like to try something that gives the user more options. nero express is good for someone who wants it very easy but it doesn't give you total control.

i've got adobe premiere pro and adobe encore but i need to find some time to fiddle with it.

it sounds like what you're doing is perfectly fine. no need to tinker with what works for you!

vhs to dvd? shouldn't be difficult. just a bit time consuming. good luck!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

hi tutusue, what helen wrote is true but it's much more than just a software program that allows you to burn CDs and DVDs.
          Is the Mac equivalent iDVD?

i've got adobe premiere pro and adobe encore but i need to find some time to fiddle with it.
          I so understand that! The computer is not second nature to me so I need lotsa fiddle time. Since time is at a premium for me I tend to put off upgrading or trying new applications for as long as is humanly possible!

it sounds like what you're doing is perfectly fine. no need to tinker with what works for you!
          I love the creative use of the computer and could get into fiddling with chapters and buttons and glitz and glam! Time just doesn't allow it as I'm usually shipping the DVD within a half hour to an hour of the end of the casting session. So, yep, I need to go with 'plug and play'.

vhs to dvd? shouldn't be difficult. just a bit time consuming. good luck!
          Thanks. I tried it last month and it was a piece of cake! Surprised me because electronics and technology just don't come easy to me. Yes, time consuming because the process is in real time.

Now I want to buy a printer that can print directly on DVDs! They continue to find ways to get us hooked on technology, don't they!!!

Comment

"Now I want to buy a printer that can print directly on DVDs! They continue to find ways to get us hooked on technology, don't they!!!"

yup, you're right about that!

just curious: what do you mean when you wrote, "Time just doesn't allow it as I'm usually shipping the DVD within a half hour to an hour of the end of the casting session." who do you ship the dvd to and what's this casting session?

Comment

just curious: what do you mean when you wrote, "Time just doesn't allow it as I'm usually shipping the DVD within a half hour to an hour of the end of the casting session." who do you ship the dvd to and what's this casting session?
              I find the actors for commercials. Another word for 'casting session' is 'audition'. I have to tape the auditions (mini-dv) and ship them almost immediately (on DVD) to my clients (the people who hire me) on the mainland for screening by the ad agency and the production company. Local clients need the DVD first thing the next morning. The average running time for an audition tape is one hour. If the audition is short and the client has an ftp site then I can take the mini-dv to Video Lab, which has a t1 connection, and they'll send it for me. HTH!

Comment

wow! what an interesting line of work!

Comment

wow! what an interesting line of work!
                  Sometimes! But like any other job it has it's fun days and it's not so fun days!!!

BTW...for anyone who's thinking about buying a printer capable of printing on CDs and DVDs, I bought one earlier today. I've spent most of this evening setting it up and fiddling with the software that came with it. I just printed my first DVD. Very cool! It's an Epson R320 that, at CompUSA, has 2 rebates that total $85. It appears both can be used which brings the printer price down to approx. $95. The store's cash register printed out at least 2 trees worth of rebates...all worthless to me. I called the store and the registers are printing the wrong ones! The employee I spoke with was extremely helpful and emailed me the correct rebate forms.

Comment

Working...
                  X