Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macworld San Francisco 2006

The switch has been made today.

Steve Jobs announced a couple of new Macs today... both of them running on Intel Dual Core chips and reportedly faster than a G5 and certainly faster than a G4.

The first is a new Intel iMac. Looks exactly the same as the all in one G5 models.

The second are new "MacBook" laptops replacing the Powerbook line. All are running on Intel.

The transition to Intel will be done before this year is out, says Steve.

More info from http://www.apple.com and the other usual Mac resources.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Apple Switching to Intel Processors

In 2003 our office bought a first generation G5 tower. There's an apparent problem with the secondary or third bank of DDRAM slots on the motherboard. We tried exchanging/upgrading RAM sets to no avail. It's NOT the chips, it's the board. We never did exchange the machine (yet) because we already had OSX server installed and needed the machine running as is. AppleCare still has it covered though. Perhaps an isolated incident, but still.

With that in mind, regarding the new Mac-Intel architecture, I'd wait it out at least for the second year model. Just like cars.

Gotta' say though, that new iMac with Intel Core Duo, Superdrive and 160 Gig ATA HD for only $1299 is a sweet deal!

My 5 year old G3 iMac still runs (OS X 10.3.9) like a champ.
    Last edited by Pomai; January 10, 2006, 12:32 PM. Reason: Specification error
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Apple Switching to Intel Processors

Just... wow. Everything looks so good. Can't wait to mess around with the new Garageband's podcasting features. (pzarquon... what do you use currently?) and play with iWeb.

Also the radio/remote for the iPod is genius! That is a definite gotta-have. (says it will work with my nano, but not with my iPod Photo. So looks like I need to get the black 60GB video iPod.)

New iMac looks great, too.

But I love the new MacBook Pro. Built-in iSight... brilliant! Sure beats the extra stuff I had to carry around to Hong Kong last year. The new power connector is off the hook! Bummer about no FW800, but that's the only drawback I can see. Brighter screen, better graphics, Front Row with remote.

Plus it comes in the same cool case. Which will make it easier to fool my wife, she'll still think it's my old 15" PowerBook. I've got the thing all configured at the online Apple Store. All I've got to do is hit the "Check Out Now" button.

Oooh... heh heh heh. Shhhhh, quiet! Here she comes!

Comment

Re: Macworld San Francisco 2006

Ah, yes. The new iMac G5 with the dual core Intel chips that are twice as fast as that old iMac G5 -- you know, the one I just bought in July. And for the exact same price! That's the killer. Ah well, such is the life of a computer nerd. The specs sound great. The upgraded applications sound great, too.

Yeah, I'm using GarageBand for my podcast. Actually, I'm nervious about the '06 upgrade with more podcast-specific goodies. Sometimes, a program that tries to do everything for you will also not let you do it the way you want to do it on your own. We'll see. Easier chapter-markers and file enhancements for AAC/M4B podcasts sure would be nice.

I'm definitely intrigued by the MacBook. Not out until next month but clearly the big news of today's keynote. A portable is the only piece missing in my new Mac universe. Thing is, the MacBook will also probably mean significant clearance prices on PowerBooks and iBooks, so... hmm!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Thing is, the MacBook will also probably mean significant clearance prices on PowerBooks and iBooks, so... hmm!
          Oh yeah baby. I want a 12" iBook, deeply discounted.

Comment

PZ, that video of you purchasing that iMac G5 only did one thing for me. Make me JEALOUS!

And another proud Mac user puts Mac in Back.. sticker on back of the car that is.. just like my car! Da' White logo too. I used to have the original Rainbow Apple logo sticker on the back window of my former Honda.

I bet an Apple Store in Pearlridge and Kahala Mall would perform quite well.
            Last edited by Pomai; January 10, 2006, 01:48 PM. Reason: Suggestion
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[QUOTE=pzarquon]Ah, yes. The new iMac G5 with the dual core Intel chips that are twice as fast as that old iMac G5 -- you know, the one [url="http://www.lightfantastic.org/imr/extras/videoblog/archives/2005/07/ [/QUOTE]
              coowhul! hey PZ, ya need a driectional/shotgun mic or a lapel mic. cord or cordless!
              ambient sound humbug
              azz why hahd, eh!

Comment

I wonder if the Apple store will let us crack open a computer to check to make sure its running an Intel processor?

But this dual core thing is gaining fast. You know you're behind the times when Apples has dual cores (and their laptops also!).

But I'll still wait until Apple (or someone) will either port Mac OS to the PC or install XP on a Mactel.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

All you have to do is go to the Apple System Profiler to see what is under the hardware case.

As for Mac OSX on a PC. Apple will not support it, though it is not beyond reasoning that someone will create a hack and have it running on a generic PC.

As for Windows XP running on a Mac. It can run in emulation (slowly) on most newer G4 and G5 Macs using MS's Virtual PC. It is quite possible that someone or some firm may be able to get Windows XP and Linux to possibly run natively on Mac Intel.

Check this link out for some basic Q & A's on MacIntel.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

ipod dock/toilet paper dispenser

You know your product is everywhere, when it made it into the comfort room LOL

Comment

Clearance? Did someone say "clearance?"

I'm with Glen.

As for OS X for PCs, just give MS some time. In five years, Windows will finally be caught up with OS 9.

I have mixed feelings about the Intel/Mac thing. Worlds are colliding.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Eh, don't know where else to put this, so here it is:

Someone is getting closer to booting Windows Vista (beta copy, I might add) on a Mactel.

Yay for progress!

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          All you have to do is go to the Apple System Profiler to see what is under the hardware case.

As for Mac OSX on a PC. Apple will not support it, though it is not beyond reasoning that someone will create a hack and have it running on a generic PC.

As for Windows XP running on a Mac. It can run in emulation (slowly) on most newer G4 and G5 Macs using MS's Virtual PC. It is quite possible that someone or some firm may be able to get Windows XP and Linux to possibly run natively on Mac Intel.

Check this link out for some basic Q & A's on MacIntel.
                          Can I just say that reading that faq page makes me cry? Hot, bitter, visceral tears. Squeeze my eyeballs hard, like when someone close to you dies.

pax

Comment

Working...
                          X