DVD vs VHS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD vs VHS

With the advancement of DVD become a standard , why do you think movies are still made on VHS? Is it because VHS sales are still high or is it because no distributor has the GUTS to put out a MAJOR release only on DVD. What I mean is if Peter Jackson said that KING KONG was only being put out on DVD, it would make it ok to faze out VHS. BTW... remember BETA?

What do you think?
    Last edited by alohabear; January 24, 2006, 09:15 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: DVD vs VHS

They wouldn't make VHS tapes if there wasn't still a demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Ditto.

We still have a VCRs in our house because they provide the A/V connections for our game consoles, DVD players, and cable.

And until DVD players begin to show the time, VCRs will never be replaced.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        BTW... remember BETA?
        Beta!? huh.
        beta nuthing!
        I remember record players.
        el peez.
        8 track tapes.
        charcoal on cave walls.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          And until DVD players begin to show the time, VCRs will never be replaced.
          uh, manufacturers are a lil ahead of yer tinkin' here.
          Time display no longer is a required feature: dvd 's will not have anything to do with the placing of a flashing twelve on the front of their unit, since this is what ya see on the majority of VHS machines nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Who do you know demands them? Blockbuster should go ALL DVD ,then others will follow.

Flickr

Comment

With the advancement of DVD become a standard , why do you think movies are still made on VHS?
              Perharps there is still a segment of the population that don't have a DVD player yet.

Comment

Who do you know demands them? Blockbuster should go ALL DVD ,then others will follow.
                thot they have by now? hawaii kai BB seems to have nuttin but dvds.

Comment

My mom stll hasn't gone the dark side yet, still believing in reusing her VHS tapes to record WWF matches. She's so technology impaired that she won't let me show her how to use a DVD recorder (which is far easier to record than VHS) much less a DVD Player!

It's that group of people who cannot let go is the reason why the VHS industry is still blazing away.

But quite frankly I think we shouldn't toss out those old tape machines just yet as in another thread on the longevity of home recorded CD's, the dyes just don't last yet 10-year old floppies still bring back my old pre Excell spreadsheets as if I created them yesterday.

I have old home videos on VHS that I've converted to DVD but I still keep the VHS because I fear the DVD will fade! And that's not unfounded.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Just wondering... wasn't BETA actually a better format than VHS?

Flickr

Comment

VHS players can input a signal and output them to the tv. Some do a better job than the tv itself. Maybe there's DVD players that can do that but its not common.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        [...]
                        charcoal on cave walls.
                        Aha! We ARE the same age!

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
                          VHS players can input a signal and output them to the tv. Some do a better job than the tv itself. Maybe there's DVD players that can do that but its not common.

I have a Sanyo DVD recorder that can input a signal and output them to a TV set. And it doesn't have blinking time either! After setting up the recorder's initial setup (format, time, rec speed) All you do is pop in a disk let it read it, then hit the record button! You stop it (not pause) it creates a chapter. To find it you don't have to fast forward you simply press the number corresponding to that chapter and viola! It's there.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            [...]I have old home videos on VHS that I've converted to DVD but I still keep the VHS because I fear the DVD will fade! And that's not unfounded.
                            I'm new to DVD technology, within the last year or so. When it comes to new technology I hold out as long as I can and can completely relate to your mom, Craig! More and more my clients are requesting casting sessions on DVD rather than VHS so I finally had to bite the bullet. At home, I'm currently in the process of converting all of my VHS tapes (movies, home videos and my dad's cartoons) to DVD. It's strictly a move to reclaim space so am burning 2-3 movies to a DVD. The home movie and cartoon tapes will go in storage and copies of everything have been sent to my kids. The movie tapes will go to the Waianae library. I'm not much of a movie buff so if I lose DVD quality down the road, no problem. But those cartoons and home movies are treasures.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              I remember ... 8 track tapes.
                              Don't forget QUAD 8-tracks...

Comment

Working...
                              X