Replacing a notebook CD/DVD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a notebook CD/DVD drive

The CD/DVD drive in my wife's Sony Vaio notebook is starting to head south and is going to need to be replaced soon. I've worked a lot on my desktop PCs -- I've installed cards, drives, and memory -- but never on a notebook before. Should I give it a shot and try to do the replacement myself, or is it too hard for a non-pro to do? I bought this notebook from Byteware, but they're gone now so I'm not sure where to go for parts. Are there local shops that sell Sony parts and/or service Sony PCs?

Re: Replacing a notebook CD/DVD drive

What model is it?

Usually, you can find a replacement optical drive for notebooks from parts wholesalers, provided you can find the OEM part number.

If taking your notebook apart scares you, then you might not want to do this yourself.

Try calling pure digital hawaii as they were doing warranty repairs for bytware computers, don't know if this applies to non-byteware built systems.

Comment

I would at least investigate how difficult it is to swap drives. On my Dell, the CD was easily removable. It's common for these drives to be swappable with a floppy drive, so they have to come out with an external button or slider or something.

Fran

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I did a little preliminary checking and am leaning towards just buying an external USB CD/DVD drive instead. It's significantly cheaper than replacing the internal drive, and for our needs it's not critical to have the optical drive be portable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
          Thanks for the feedback. I did a little preliminary checking and am leaning towards just buying an external USB CD/DVD drive instead. It's significantly cheaper than replacing the internal drive, and for our needs it's not critical to have the optical drive be portable.
          A few months ago I purchased a LG external multi drive dvd burner from Sam's Club for under $68. Love burning those dvd-/+r's at 16x speed.

Comment

Working...
          X