Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gmail chat

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Glen was kind enough to ping me so I could see what a new contact request looks like. I get a message in the Chat box saying, "contact@gmail.com wants to be able to chat with you. Okay?" Giving me the opportunity to approve the link.

It didn't add him automatically to my contacts, though (which can be a good thing) -- I had to manually add him, and he's now listed under "Quick Contacts" but with the note, "Invited." Meaning he presumably has to give approval in return.
    I just now tried clicking again on the "Invite to Chat" button by pzarquon's name, and now there is a silver ball next to his name in my "Quick Contacts" list, which means that he is not currently signed in for Gmail chat. And that "Invite to Chat" button has changed into just a "Chat" button. So, if I understand this, the next time we are both signed on, there should be a green ball next to his name showing that he's available for chatting.

Oops, the silver ball changed to a red one. He's busy now.

Comment

Um, I think Scriv mentioned above that his account hasn't yet been blessed with this new feature, which is being rolled out incrementally. I only got it this morning. We're not as cool as you, Auntie Lynn!

Glen was kind enough to ping me so I could see what a new contact request looks like. I get a message in the Chat box saying, "contact@gmail.com wants to be able to chat with you. Okay?" Giving me the opportunity to approve the link.

It didn't add him automatically to my contacts, though (which can be a good thing) -- I had to manually add him, and he's now listed under "Quick Contacts" but with the note, "Invited." Meaning he presumably has to give approval in return.
      Ok. Mahalo. Your's got a RED -- meaning BUSY!
      Understandable. *L*

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ah, first contact made with Glen.

A pretty sharp implementation, actually. A chat box pops up in the lower right, but it doesn't block or stop you in the middle of an e-mail or anything. It just waits for you to click over to reply. You can pop the chat box off to float as a separate window, too.

And now, archived with e-mail, chats are included as well. So looking for "Recent Conversations" with Glen turns up the transcript of our brief test, with a "Chat Bubble" icon to distinguish it from e-mail conversations.

Comment

Yippeee! I got through to Ryan. Simple and fast!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Ah, first contact made with Glen.
            Yup. I agree with Ryan, it's pretty snappy. And I like that the chat transcript is automatically archived along with the rest of the mail. Very nice.

Comment

Interesting. After seeing Gmail Chat in action, I decided to fire up iChat on my Mac and add the Google Talk servers (via the open Jabber protocol). The new contacts added in Gmail showed up in my buddy list in iChat/Jabber... and as far as I could tell, I was logged into both Gmail Chat and iChat/Jabber simultaneously.

Say, Auntie Lynn, if you're loving chatting, and you like the Google setup, you should download and run Google Talk. Then you can catch and chat with all your friends without having to be sitting in Gmail. It can do audio chat, too. Sadly, it's Windows only.
              Last edited by pzarquon; February 14, 2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Interesting. After seeing Gmail Chat in action, I decided to fire up iChat on my Mac and add the Google Talk servers (via the open Jabber protocol). The new contacts added in Gmail showed up in my buddy list in iChat/Jabber... and as far as I could tell, I was logged into both Gmail Chat and iChat/Jabber simultaneously.

Say, Auntie Lynn, if you're loving chatting, and you like the Google setup, you should download and run Google Talk. Then you can catch and chat with all your friends without having to be sitting in Gmail. It can do audio chat, too. Sadly, it's Windows only.
                Mahalo PZ. I'll download as soon as I have time. Audio? I can sing too! hahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Interesting. The chat feature is showing up when I use Internet Explorer, but not when I use Firefox or Netscape. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Interesting. The chat feature is showing up when I use Internet Explorer, but not when I use Firefox or Netscape. Has anyone else experienced this?
                    I've been using it only with Firefox, both on Windows and OSX. Just checked and it's fine in Internet Explorer for me, too. Since it is a feature that isn't universal to all accounts/users yet, I wonder if it might disappear randomly depending on what Gmail server you end up connected to or something similar?

Comment

I've been using it only with Firefox, both on Windows and OSX. Just checked and it's fine in Internet Explorer for me, too. Since it is a feature that isn't universal to all accounts/users yet, I wonder if it might disappear randomly depending on what Gmail server you end up connected to or something similar?
                      I wonder whether there is a plugin I am supposed to install, Flash or Javascript or something.

Comment

I cleared my cache and deleted all my cookies, and now the Gmail chat features are showing up in my Firefox browser like they were supposed to. *shrug*

Comment

I'm running an old version of Safari at home, and the chat stuff doesn't show up there. When I access with a recent version of MSIE (at HPU), the stuff shows up. It's irritating. I invited you, PZ, from here at school, thinking I'd finally gotten the chat stuff, but when I got home, none of it was there. Gr.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's been maddeningly inconsistent. Sometimes the chat feature shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe PZ is right, maybe some Gmail servers have the feature and some don't. Or something.

Comment

I am running an older version of OSX and the iChat feature doesn't seem to work with Google mail. Both my Safari and Firefox browsers also don't work with the direct Gmail from the website.

The MS Explorer browser I use on the work PC with Windows 2000 does show Gmail on the left side of my mail window.... hmmmm. Is it Mac hostile?

Currently I have something called Adium running that does these text chat things.

Actually I am not that big into online chatting, but I figure I try this out since it's there and people here are writing about it.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One of my gmail accounts tells me it's enabled, but I don't see how to find people.

Update: Oh, I see. I have to have people listed in the contacts area first. Hmm. Since I filter both gmail accounts to my Eudora mail, I've never bothered setting up contacts within gmail.
                                Last edited by Linkmeister; February 15, 2006, 08:58 PM. Reason: Ah, I get it
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X