Gmail chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gmail chat

So the new chat feature on Gmail is slowly rolling out. My main Gmail account doesn't have it yet but it's shown up on one of my secondary accounts already. So far, I've resisted Google Talk but if the chat feature is automatically built into Gmail, then I might use it. Maybe.

I used to use the Unix 'talk' feature when I was in college in the 80s, but when AIM and the like got popular in the 90s, realtime texting just didn't appeal to me any more. Give me good old asynchronous communication any day, where you can take time to compose your thoughts before spewing them over the wires.

Re: Gmail chat

I'm an asynchronous fan myself. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to have a phone, and that everyone only used e-mail. I play occasionally with Skype and iChat on my Mac, but generally don't use IM because... well, it's "instant." The social contortions it involves are usually not worth it.

I knew the Google Chat thing in GMail worked with its Google Talk thing, so I presumed I wouldn't have any use for it (while it's based on an open platform, it still means yet another IM client). But if they're building real-time text chat into the Gmail interface... that's a bit different. Hmm.

Great. Another technological advance that will probably decrease productivity!

Comment

Maybe it's a generational thing. I know my kids have no problem at all with texting their friends continuously. But then again, maybe it's more of a stage-of-life thing: they text their friends continuously because they're in school and have gobs of spare time to do so. Once they grow up and get jobs, let's see if they keep on doing that.

Comment

I see all the names of my gmail friends on my computer screen everyday. I have yet to see if the thingy actually is lit to see if they are connected so can instant message directly!heheheheh You know who you are!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I am eager to give this a try, mostly because of its being built into the gmail interface.

I was a very-long-time member at Saimin, and also enjoyed TalkNet and the Unix talk function. One of the reasons I can type over a hundred words a minute is from long hours chatting on Saimin in real-time.

It hasn't hit my account yet, but if anyone wants to add me later, hit me at onebadscrivener ( at ) you know the rest.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

bleh I still don't got it any one know when it will be fully released
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

heheheh...it's 2:40 a.m. good morning everyone!

My Gmail M was blinking (first time)!

I clicked. hahahaha

guess who?

Lurkah!

alas, he was offline so couln't recieve my message back.

However, it works!!! Yipppeee!!

K-den. I going back moi moi.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I have GMAIL aswell,

But I have been uisng Yahoo, HotMail, & ICQ.

I think, I like yahoo much more, because you can act invisible to everyone while you are on line, & you don't have alot of other people bombarding you & wanting to talk to you all at once.

I have had friends use GMAIL, & said that they have had problems with it, & their computer had gone down one fine day.

I guess, I should be glad that I don't use it at all.

I have enough to use, that I practically don't have time to use any of them.
                Seeing as I am so busy & all.

Well...

Happy GMailing.

Aloha.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I'm glad I switch ova to Gmail. I've had no problems nor my computa neva went down due to it. Gmail rules!

Auntie Lynn

btw: you have the choice whether or not to talk to someone. there's also a feature that let's others know your status - available, away, busy or one customed by you!
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; February 13, 2006, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    I'm glad I switch ova to Gmail. I've had no problems nor my computa neva went down due to it. Gmail rules!

Auntie Lynn

btw: you have the choice whether or not to talk to someone. there's also a feature that let's others know your status - available, away, busy or one customed by you!
                    Oh.

Coool!!.
                    Aches & Pains
                    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Well, Auntie Lynn obviously met the cool quotient required to be among the earliest Gmail users to get the chat function. But just now I got my friendly notice and a new box of names, green and red dots, and pop-up commands in my inbox.

Interesting (and a little scary) how it helpfully linked up anyone on Gmail with whom I corresponded recently... whether or not they're all people I'd want to chat with. But, of course, there were a lot of friends there, too, many of them already geeking out with custom status messages. Hopefully I'll find a moment later to test the whole thing out.

Hmm. Chat via web browser with a clean interface that many folks are already familiar with. It doesn't seem like such a weird idea anymore. And with promised interoperability, it may very well be a move that will be felt in the rest of the proprietary IM space.

Comment

It just occurred to me... are chat, IM, etc., vulnerable to spammers? I would hate to be bombarded with spam chat requests.

Comment

It just occurred to me... are chat, IM, etc., vulnerable to spammers? I would hate to be bombarded with spam chat requests.
                          Anything's possible, I guess, and since Google Talk and Gmail Chat are linked at some level via the open Jabber protocol, I'm certain there'd eventually be ways to abuse it. Of course, there are spam IMs on other systems, too.

At least with the Gmail implementation, it's based in part on contacts you've corresponded with, so similar to dealing with spam IMs elsewhere, I'd imagine you could set it to only accept requests from people you know.

Not sure, though. Doesn't look like there are many "settings" buttons to push right now. Now I'm curious what happens if someone not on your contact list wants to add/IM you...

I just added scrivener per his message above (we know each other, of course, but not directly via Gmail accounts) -- what happened, Scriv?
                          Last edited by pzarquon; February 14, 2006, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Yeah, On the topic about Scriv. I invited him too. He neva accept my invitation. How come?

Happy Valentines Day Scriv!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Um, I think Scriv mentioned above that his account hasn't yet been blessed with this new feature, which is being rolled out incrementally. I only got it this morning. We're not as cool as you, Auntie Lynn!

Glen was kind enough to ping me so I could see what a new contact request looks like. I get a message in the Chat box saying, "contact@gmail.com wants to be able to chat with you. Okay?" Giving me the opportunity to approve the link.

It didn't add him automatically to my contacts, though (which can be a good thing) -- I had to manually add him, and he's now listed under "Quick Contacts" but with the note, "Invited." Meaning he presumably has to give approval in return.

Comment

Working...
                              X