Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringtones all the rage

Full Article

And did you hear the one about the mother whose adolescent son changed her ring tone? He was driven to protest her "inadequate responses to his complaints about the unfairness of his life — the result, he believed, of her rules," explained Jim Wright, the mother's attorney. Unfortunately for mom, this didn't become apparent until the sounds of the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" started blasting away during a meeting.

Ah, ring tones, those personalized options that let you program a signature sound to alert you to an incoming call. What progress! What a personal statement!

What a pain in the ear.
    The article also mentioned that ringtones are up to $2 each!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Ringtones all the rage

ringtones...
    hmmm
    don't know what they are, never will want to.
    sounds like.

Comment

You can also get authorized Hawaiian ringtones. (I note 'authorized' because most ringtones are just ripped or traded online.) Several articles I read last year talked about how ringtone "top ten charts" are turning out to be moneymakers for their producers that rival conventional music charts.

Of course, not only can you choose what noise comes out of your phone to annoy complete strangers, you can also choose what noise is heard by people trying to call you. "Sorry, I would've answered your call faster, but I wanted to make sure you heard the guitar solo..." Sheesh.

Comment

This whole ringtone thing bugs me. I don't get it. People annoying their fellow drivers/elevator users/moviegoers more than ever, and paying even more to do it. Seriously, what compels people to spend even more of their hard-earned income to make their phones ring two seconds of an Eminem song? I understand that people are using their phones as iPods, and that's fine. But I don't need to be subjected to some other teenybopper's bad taste in music while waiting in line at the supermarket. It's rude. Just go home and listen to your CD's.

Where's my cane?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
          spend even more of their hard-earned income
          Most ringtones are probably acquired by younger folks whose income is still largely disposable.
          Originally posted by Kilinahe
          Where's my cane?
          Over there, next to my walker. Now, get offa my lawn.

Comment

whre's MY cane.
            i goin whap da inconsiderate ijits that sllloooowwwwllly take their cellfone outta their purse or pocket cuz they absolutely NEED the whole immediate surrounding 2 mile radius population to hear their oh-so-clever ringtone they paid bux for. while they then, stand in the middle of an entrance or a walkway or the middle of a restaurant or bar posing as if, yes, THEIR phone call activity IS the frikkin center of the freekun universe.
            I goin use my cane to baseballbat their cellfone onto yer lawn. lookout.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              you can also choose what noise is heard by people trying to call you. "Sorry, I would've answered your call faster, but I wanted to make sure you heard the guitar solo..." Sheesh.
              Guaranteed that would be the last time I ever called that person.
              (And don't even get me started on people who walk around wearing cell phone headsets and appear to be talking to themselves.)
              The only 'ringtone' I've ever considered downloading was one that quacked like a duck. But for now, my cell phone ring still sounds like... a phone ringing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                people who walk around wearing cell phone headsets and appear to be talking to themselves
                For some reason, I never see the headsets on the ones around downtown Seattle. And these folks don't really look like they could afford fancy headsets...

Oh.

Never mind.

Comment

I guess ring tones was something that was never imagined in Star Trek in their communicators. But then I guess the funky sound those communicators made will be made into a ring tone

I wonder if anyone would download a ring tone of a fart followed by someone saying, "Put a cork in it will ya?" That would be a cruel ring tone to download in your friend's cell phone
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The original series of Star Trek had the communicators just beeping when ever an incoming call came through but the communicators were more akin to two way radios as opposed to cellphones.

Comment

Doesn't matter, Star Trek always seemed ahead of it's time. Just wait pretty soon you'll see cell phones that you attach to your shirt and simply press it and say, "Kirk Here" and the shirt mounted Nextel Push to Talk cell phone will send that signal to your BT headset.

Eh no laugh...get one Transporter already...made by Pontiac
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

And if you've been in my shoes, you notice that phones has evolved a lot. My flagship phone just broke, forcing me to downgrade to a three year old phone, which only has polyphonic ringtones (midi songs), and no color screen. Now that I can't join the fun of blasting ringtones (and in some cases, full songs) I now see why some people hate MP3 ringtones.

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        you can also choose what noise is heard by people trying to call you. "Sorry, I would've answered your call faster, but I wanted to make sure you heard the guitar solo..." Sheesh.
                        Old by tmobile standards, as they've been offering that for a year, but the selection is limited. I don't know about vzw.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        I wonder if anyone would download a ring tone of a fart followed by someone saying, "Put a cork in it will ya?" That would be a cruel ring tone to download in your friend's cell phone
                        Actually, I can do that. I just need to spice them together, and voila! instant fun
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I am not a cell phone user and don't know much about ringtones. So I have to ask, why would anyone pay $2 per ringtone and probably get only a partial song?

Apple iTunes store you can buy a full version of a song for 99 cents each. Other online sites offer similar pricing or even cheaper (88 cents at WalMart) for a full song. And in most cases you can back up your songs to CDs or have them play on other devices such as the iPod.

Are the ringtones people buy proprietory only for the phone they own, or are consumers able to migrate their ringtones (along with their address books) to new hardware? Can you backup your ringtones for use later on another phone?

At $2 a pop I sure hope so.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

ringtones don't bother me it's the ringback things that chap my ass. I'm trying to make a call not listen to 30 seconds of little jon. bleh
                            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              I goin use my cane to baseballbat their cellfone onto yer lawn. lookout.
                              can't wait to get a phone call around you... would like to see what happens. or won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X