DVR: Digital Video Recorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVR: Digital Video Recorders

I was just wondering how many of us have them and who uses them on a regular basis?

What programs do you record and watch later?

Any problems or complaints with them?

Re: DVR: Digital Video Recorders

I was extremely interested in DVRs for a while, because I kept hearing from my friends about great TV shows but could never make the time to watch them live, or to remember to set my VCR to tape them. The idea of automatically recording shows for my leisure viewing was tempting. But the feeling passed when I learned how to download TV shows via BitTorrent and watch them on my PC. Now that, I like even more.

Comment

I am thinking about buying a DVD recorder. Can the people who already own one answer some of these questions:

1. Can you record something to DVD straight from a TV analog or digital signal (the way we can do it with VCRs)?

2. Is DRM built into DVRs to prevent us from timeshifting TV shows?

3. Are some programs from TV or cable unrecordable with a DVD recorder?

4. The main reason why I want to get a DVD recorder is to transfer content from my old VHS and possibly Beta tapes to DVD. I assume this is possible except for those macro-vision encoded tapes. Right?

5. Will the DVDs you record on one DVD recorder be playable on another player or recorder?

6. Any recommended brands or models?

7. Don't tell me about Tivo or any subscription type of DVD or DVR device. I am not interested in that.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've had it less than 5 hours now...and I think this will be the best investment I've purchased in the last few months... hard to call it an investment when I don't own it...but however in being able to watch what I want...when I want... to good!!!!

The amount of time saved is just unbelievable.

Hooked...for the extra $10.00 per month...

I highly....highly.... highly... recommend this now...
        Last edited by damontucker; March 2, 2006, 08:28 PM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          I've had it less than 5 hours now...and I think this will be the best investment I've purchased in the last few months... hard to call it an investment when I don't own it...but however in being able to watch what I want...when I want... to good!!!!

The amount of time saved is just unbelievable.

Hooked...for the extra $10.00 per month...

I highly....highly.... highly... recommend this now...
          I have had the older model since it first came out. I heard there is a newer model that has replaced. Overall it is not bad but I have had problems with it from time to time. If you use the tv-guide to program what you want it will record exactly what you want. But using the manual recording mode and set the recording time a few minutes ahead or after the program ends will end up recording a extra 30 to 60 minutes which is stupid as hell.

I have had friends who have had to have there dvr's exchange because they have lost all the programs that were on the dvr hard drive. Overall it is not to bad. But I also use my 2 dvd recorders.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            I am thinking about buying a DVD recorder. Can the people who already own one answer some of these questions:

1. Can you record something to DVD straight from a TV analog or digital signal (the way we can do it with VCRs)?
            [...]
            4. The main reason why I want to get a DVD recorder is to transfer content from my old VHS and possibly Beta tapes to DVD. I assume this is possible except for those macro-vision encoded tapes. Right?

5. Will the DVDs you record on one DVD recorder be playable on another player or recorder?

7. Don't tell me about Tivo or any subscription type of DVD or DVR device. I am not interested in that.
            I have an inexpensive Go brand DVD/VHS combo recorder/player. I've not tried recording from the TV to DVD so can't answer that question. But, iirc, it's possible.

I also have a Sony DVDirect that's small and portable so I can take it between home, office and location casting sessions easily. It's not a player, just a burner. In the office I simul burn a DVD while I'm taping a casting session. I'm also using it to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD. I heard there's a little dohickie (that's tech speak!) to help 'unencode'. Google on Sima. The DVDs I burn on the Sony play fine on the Go machine. A few of my clients have a problem with the disks, tho'. Dunno why. One thinks it's because he has an older DVD player. This week Costco has a 10.2" portable DVD player with a $50. off coupon. Good little player, btw. The Sony disks play fine in that one, too.

Ok...I won't tell you about the Tivo type recorders. But, only 'cuz I don't own one and know nothing about them.
            Last edited by tutusue; March 2, 2006, 09:12 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

Originally posted by mel

2. Is DRM built into DVRs to prevent us from timeshifting TV shows?

3. Are some programs from TV or cable unrecordable with a DVD recorder?

1, Sure you can it works just like a vcr. You can record right to the dvd-r/+r, dvd-rw/+rw, or dvd-ram. But I prefer to record to a model that has a hd and then do all your editing (removing commercials) and once you have what you want to record to dvd then do so.

2. I am not sure what DRM is. But I am sure all dvd recorders can
              timeshift.

3. I have heard some people had this problem before. Like a HBO that sends out a copy protected signal and I also think it depends on the dvd recorder, But I never had this problem.

4. Sure you can copy your VHS or Beta tapes over to dvd. If they are the
              pre-recorded ones then you would one of those devices that would hook up
              between the vcr and dvd recorder.

5. I don't see why not. As long as you finalize the dvd on the dvd recorder before trying to play it on your dvd player. You can play a unfinalize dvd on your dvd recorder but not on any dvd players. Also most dvd players in the past 3 years or so should be able to play dvd-/+r and dvd-/+rw type disc.

6. I would stay away from the cheap no name brands. I would stick to the named brands and if you can afford it get one with a hard drive.

Since I starting using dvd recorders about 4 or 5 years ago. I have been only using the Panasonic models. The very first model with for almost $2500. I was lucky and picked it up for about $400 and it only recorded to dvd-ram. The sucker was bulit like a mac truck and weighed about 40 lbs. Next was a model that recorded to dvd-ram and dvd-r. Model after that was a model that had a 40 gig hard drive and still recorded to dvd-r and dvd-ram. My next Panasonic dvd recorder came with a 80 gig hard drive. My latest Panasonic dvd recorder
              has a 400 gig hard drive in it. No other brand has ever offered a dvd recorder with that size hard drive. In the past year or so Panasonic now will also record to dvd+r and dvd+rw I believe besides dvd-r and dvd-ram. the newest generation should be out by end of April or sometimes in May. I have recorded to over 2000 dvd-r's so far.

If you need more info you should check out Avs Forum Dvd Recorder Thread. They have ton of info about users who have brought all types of dvd recorders.
              http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Comment

Working...
              X