Dell may buy Alienware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell may buy Alienware

The [Dell] XPS line is doing well, but it has about the mindshare of toenail clippers among the hardcore set. Yeah, it needs an image boost badly, and buying Alienware would be the quickest way to do that. The company is the volume leader in the gaming market, something Dell is sure to love, and the price would be pocket change.
    Read more from The Inquirer

IMO, if they want to get us hardcore gamers in the game, they should offer AMD processors to make their machines more affordable. Plus, any gamer will always build their machine.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Dell may buy Alienware

CORRECTION: Dell bought alienware today!
    its unconfirmed

Quote from CNet.com:

While no word has been officially released from either Dell or Alienware, we heard from a reliable source this morning that the purchase has indeed gone down.
    Lets have a run down of the other manufactuers who bought/merged with other computer companies:
    - HP and Compaq
    - Gateway and Emachines

Comment

Sorry for the rollercoaster ride. The above post was wrong, as Dell denied the rumor, but now Dell WILL BUY Alienware

Comment

Hmmm I wonder how the Alienware namesake will survive the Dell makeover. If it walks like a duck and quacks like it's a duck then no matter what...it's still a Dell.

One thing I've noticed about ALL Dells that have come across my bench is that they always under rate their power supplies. The last Dell I fixed was a Dimension 8200 with a blown +5vdc power section on the PSU. It had a DVD-ROM drive and was running a P4. PSU was rated at 280-Watts with a 128Mb nVidia graphics card. The owner added a DVD burner and another 80Gb hard drive and POOF the power supply went.

To me if you're running a P4 processor and the PSU has enough power dongles to run additional IDE drives, the system should have at least a 400-watt PSU. On all of my builds I run a minimum of 500-watts rating, if at least 28 to 30 amp peak capacities on the +5vdc and +12vdc supplies.

I'm hoping Dell will leave the Alienware hardware alone and let it co-exist as a stand alone product separate from the Dell crap line.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X