what did you do when you were 17?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did you do when you were 17?

Apparently, this guy made flickr's new competition.

Zooomr has a similar interface as flickr but does a lot more. You can choose to create an account or just use one of five other credentials to set up an account (Level9, OpenID, LiveJournal, Google (Gmail) or Meetro. The functionality is the same. Zooomr also offers the site in 15 languages.
    When I was 17, I had five email accounts, a lousy AOL website (it was just to pay for a computer - honest) and went to Texas for a tech conference.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: what did you do when you were 17?

When I was 17 (last year of high school), I was co-founder of a professional comedy troupe (which lasted eight more years beyond h.s.); I went on a tour of the Northeast with a choir & orchestra (as a tenor, not as a comedian); I had my first radio job (which started a career that continues now in a volunteer capacity); I was in my second year working at a library; dating the girl who eventually became my first wife and the mother of my daughter; and dabbled in drug use (which I survived with no apparent FISH-QUARK-F'TANG F'TANG damage.)

Comment

Let's see...when I was 17 and a senior in high school my brother was 5 and in kindergarten. I babysat...a lot!

Comment

When I was 17 I went to Switzerland for a school trip at Easter time; learned to drive a car, graduated from high school, started college, got a real boyfriend and talked my mom into leaving a wife beater. I will talk anybody into that.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Sang with an offshoot of Up With People throughout Northern Virginia, graduated from high school, drove past the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, went through the Badlands of South Dakota, saw Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone, rode horseback in Jackson Hole, WY, took the Lurline from LA to Honolulu, ended up in Guam, moved by myself to Tucson for freshman year at the U of A.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I was in the Army, stationed in southern West Germany in case those nasty Commies decided to invade.

(I probably would have run to France if they had.)

Comment

I was in the Army, stationed in southern West Germany in case those nasty Commies decided to invade.
              I salute you, Albert.
              (I probably would have run to France if they had.)
              Okay, I didn't need to hear that. <LOL> Actually, in those Cold War years, it wouldn't have done you any good.

At 17, spent my last summer picking pineapple for summer hire, gradugated HS, went community college, spent 3 days of the week at Sandy Beach, Pounders, Pipeline or Waimea Bay bodysurfing, depending which part of the year. Got certified for scuba diving, learned to pilot a boat, learned navigation, worked parttime at a real gas station. "Fill'er up?" Gas was $.35 a gallon. Had lots of girl friends, but never had a girlfriend. I always kinda wondered wot da heck I wuz doin'back den. No girlfriend. <sigh>

Comment

Grad high school, go to college, introducted to computers at that age but email as an application didn't exist yet.

Comment

Isn't this thread in the wrong topic? The only technology I could afford when I was 17 was a small stereo record player and cassette plus a cheap instamatic camera.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Maybe, thing is while most of us have been at the age of 17 sometime in our life, we weren't at the age of 17 at the same time.

Comment

What did I do when I was 17?

Jesus on a bike, I can't remember. Let's see. I was dating a guy who turned out to be an a-hole. I dabbled in some things that will go unmentioned, but that totally opened my mind and eyes to life. I started wanting to get out of NJ...that's what happens when you spend half of your childhood as a military kid, moving around all the time. Then voila! You get stuck in one place and it's like you can't wait to get out of there. As for technology: I had a point and shoot camera, and a boombox stereo thing. Oh and the half dead stereo in my car. Speaking of which I failed the driving part of my driving test twice. THe first time the guy made me cry and I flunked out on the K-turn, the second time was the parallel parking. I'm great at parallel parking now though! Lol.

Comment

Circuit Circus...

At 17, I had a couple of Mac IIsi machines, one running a dial-up BBS. I was aware of global networks via BBS goodies like FIDONet, but the Internet was still this nebulous thing out there -- a friend's dad at UH took us on a tour around gopherspace and USENET, but it was all terminal/CLI based...

I helped run a small Mac lab at the student paper at my high school, all Mac SE boxes. We were excited about the new Aldus Pagemaker 4.0. Windows 3.0 was still new... I preferred WordPerfect on DOS.

The Super Nintendo had just come out, but we barely used our original system...

The Beta v. VHS war was over by then, but we still used our Sony Betamax box quite a bit...

I think Oceanic only had space for 36 channels back then... I still have that old wood-panel-like box with the single dial on it somewhere... the premium channels were "scrambled," but not very well. They might have had the boxes with the LED by then (and higher channel numbers), but we held on to the old box as long as we could.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                          The only technology I could afford when I was 17 was a small stereo record player and cassette plus a cheap instamatic camera.
                          And look where it got you today!

Comment

Oooh, we talkin' tech. 8 track in my 69 Toyota Corona. 4 doah even.

Comment

OH! I totally forgot my Nintendo! I'm a HUGE gamer, have been since Pong and the very beginnings of video games.

Comment

Working...
                              X