X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pzarquon
    replied
    Re: GMail tips and tricks

I used my Yahoo! Mail address for everything, and dreaded making the switch... but it turned out to be easier than I thought. I now only check it weekly just in case, but have only four or so message waiting (compared to maybe fifty a day when it was my active address)... two of them spam.

If Hotmail lets you (1.) set a separate "Reply-To" address, and (2.) a signature for all outgoing messages, the transition will be less painful than you think. Have any mail people reply to go to your new address (which is good, as "replies" are primarily real people you correspond with), and have all messages you send out include a "P.S. I'm changing e-mail providers. Please put new@address.com in your addres book."

The only real work will be catching all your automated subscriptions and newsletters... and those, I imagine, you could live without.

And Link's right, the resetting of your "spam beacon" online is a big plus.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Not sure whether to jump ship to Gmail, or to stick it out with my Hotmail account until the autumn, when Microsoft has promised to raise the free storage limit to 250MB. Email address inertia is really, really powerful.
    Don't I know it. I'm shuddering at the thought of informing half the known universe that the prodigy address I've been using for 4+ years is gonna switch. On the brighter side, by far the bulk of my spam goes to that address.

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Not sure whether to jump ship to Gmail, or to stick it out with my Hotmail account until the autumn, when Microsoft has promised to raise the free storage limit to 250MB. Email address inertia is really, really powerful.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Firefox got the thumbs up here, like in this thread on the latest round of Internet Explorer security problems. I can confirm it works with Gmail on a PC, but not on a Mac.

Interestingly, this blog post on Yahoo!'s acquisition of Oddpost notes that their interest was piqued by what Gmail does with DHTML and JavaScript as far as interface design goes (since Oddpost did similar things). While I like Gmail quite a bit, I actually find its reliance on fancy code a bit discouraging. If only it could do what it does with an interface as simple as Yahoo! Mail (or at least Yahoo! Mail circa 2002).

Leave a comment:

• Quester
    replied

Originally posted by mel
    So... for those of you (and I know there are a few) who are using Mac OS X or even OS9, can you tell me what other browser works with Gmail (other than Explorer in OSX)?
    You should give Firefox a try (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/). It's one of the most complete, cross-platform browsers available. While it's a 0.x release (currently 0.92), it's matured greatly, and I currently use it as my preferred browser.

Another popular browser is Camino (also built on the Mozilla Gecko engine), but I haven't tried it with Gmail.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

While I recently got a Gmail account, I decided not to drop my various Yahoo accounts since I am almost intimately connected to a few of them. That said the big attraction to Gmail is the 1 gig of mail storage space. The downside for me is that Gmail does not work with my slightly older version of the Safari browser for Mac OSX. For me to have Gmail work with Safari I would have to get the latest Safari browser and upgrade to OS X 10.3... the latter will set me back at least $129. I am not ready to move to a new OS just because the marketing gurus at Apple say I should.

So... for those of you (and I know there are a few) who are using Mac OS X or even OS9, can you tell me what other browser works with Gmail (other than Explorer in OSX)?

I can access Gmail with the PC at work, but rarely use it. I have sent myself some emails to Gmail and it works nicely. So far no spam because hardly anyone knows my address and I certainly haven't shared it with marketers and other websites.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Can you give me one pzarquon? To get my email, just drop me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mocha
    replied

Never heard of Gmail but that link sure looks interesting. I read a lot of Neil Gaiman stuff and it's interesting to see what he's got planned for the Comic Con later on this month. Keep posting stuffs about Gmail.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

I use Gmail. Dropped Yahoo! Mail when I got an account, although Yahoo! soon followed with a boost of their free accounts to 100MB. I like Yahoo!'s spam controls better, but I sure like Google's mail search capabilities. No longer do I need to wonder who mentioned what when!

Invitations were coming fast and furious at one point... I gave out maybe twenty a couple of weeks ago. Fresh out now, but by all accounts, it's going to get easier and easier to get in... with a public rollout not too far behind.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

BTW, who uses gmail?

I've been using hotmail and yahoo mail, but I've heard good things about gmail.

Can someone send me an invitation?

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    started a topic GMail tips and tricks

GMail tips and tricks

I ran across this post at a friend's blog; it's got links to a whole bunch of stuff the coders have done for GMail, including a "new mail" display for your systray, a converter into Outlook Express, and a GMail blog.

For those not faint of heart, somebody's even written code to upload your existing e-mail client to your GMail account.
Working...
X