X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied
    Re: GMail tips and tricks

Lifehacker presents a list of Top 10 Unofficial Gmail Apps and Add-ons.

The dragdropupload Firefox extension that lets you drag and drop files to attach them to email messages in Gmail? Heaven! Attaching photos using an Add Files browse window can be a pain when you can't easily view the thumbnails and the files just have numbered filenames. It's a lot easier if you can drag and drop thumbnailed photo files directly into the Gmail attachment filename box.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

I'm having problems with gmail this morning!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• DaFerret
    replied

Here's something I came across from a tech blog, 30+ Tools and Hacks for Gmail.

Also, the official keyboard shortcuts help page, if you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• SusieMisajon
    replied

Gmail is fun and easy...but I suspect that they are becoming a victim to their own great success, as the GoogleTalk is often hiccuping.

And....if you'll look to see where your unwanted spams are sent to....there are real Spam recipes at the top of the page. So funny!

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

duh. Nevermind. I just realized what tomorrow is.

but in my own defense, this follows my reading a lengthy listserv thread on how paper is the safest way (in terms of durability and making sure you can always access it despite changes or failures in technology) to store documents and written communications and how people are printing out their work emails for their files and still keeping hard copies of documents even if the documents are saved in DVDs or flash drives, etc.
    Last edited by Adri; March 31, 2007, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

huh. Gmail is offering a new service. If you want them to, they will print out all your email and snail mail them to you (given 2-4 days delivery time). That seems funny ~ to mail email~ but I guess they must have had enough interest in the service to offer it.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Huh! We were just talking about our willingness to pay Google to get more reliability, more space, and fewer ads. And today, they launch "Google Apps Premier Edition." An uptime guarantee, 10GB instead of 2GB, "optional" text-based ads... plus lots of other extras.

I just might sign up.

Of course, this is for folks who let Google run the backend of their domain name, rather than consumer users of Gmail.com. (I use Google Apps on a couple of my domains already, though.) Hmm...

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Actually, Google calls them "labels" in Gmail (and uses the term "tags" for other services -- they've gotten flack for being inconsistent).
    Ahh, sorry! You're right. I forgot they called them labels. Can you tell, I don't use my Gmail account all that much right now? I've been thinking of switching over to it for my main email though. Lots of attractive things there.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    However, the minimized web version works quite well.
    It does. I find I use it more than the Java app, even though it works on my Treo. The Java version looks snazzy, but the web one seems snappier, more direct.
    Now, if Google would set up "pro" accounts so I could get rid of ads, I'd totally sign up.
    The ads don't bug me. The storage limit does. (I laugh heartily at its insistence that I don't need to delete anything because its almost unlimited.) I can't believe I paid for Yahoo! mail extras at one point... and I get much more for free from Gmail today.

Still, Google and Gmail owns so much of my life, I'd love to pay them for more services and more assurances... but it seems ad revenue keeps them quite happy (and paying consumer-level customers would probably increase their headaches tenfold).

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

The gmail mobile app doesn't work well with the Blackjack. There are fixes out there, but I'm only halfway through them and the entire thing has been an enormous expenditure of time and effort.

However, the minimized web version works quite well.

I would like to set gmail up as my default email from my smartphone, so I can send photos and other files right from the phone to an address, rather than open the browser. I haven't been able to send attachments that way anyway. So this is my new project, and it's been a challenge.

The new email gathering from gmail is wonderful. You can set incoming mails to be labeled automatically so you know which email address each piece of mail has been sent to, and as pz mentions, you can set different "send from" addresses, and you can choose from any of your valid "send from" addresses with each piece of responded-to mail. Sweet.

Now, if Google would set up "pro" accounts so I could get rid of ads, I'd totally sign up.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

since some of you are already on gmail, what's your thoughts on placing you mobile number on Gmail to receive your e-mail on you cell phone?
    Serenity, there was a period where you needed to give Google your cell phone number to get an account (confirmation codes would be sent by SMS), ostensibly to limit the number of spammers signing up... but they recently made signups wide open.

As for checking e-mail on your phone? The two ways I check my e-mail from my phone (a Treo 700p) is via their minimized mobile web interface at m.gmail.com or via the Java client which is installed on your phone. There are hacks out there to have your Gmail messages sent by SMS... but that sounds expensive and awkward to me.

Either way, the collection of your cell phone number by Google/Gmail has nothing to do with how you check or receive your mail on your phone. (For now!) The site you linked in your post talks about the Java client that installs on your phone, for example. And if your phone doesn't support JVMs (Java Virtual Machines), there's always the minimized web interface. Either way, though, you'll probably need the data plan from your service provider.
    As far as I know, Gmail has no concept of folders. Everything basically stays in your inbox indefinitely. What they do is "tags".
    Actually, Google calls them "labels" in Gmail (and uses the term "tags" for other services -- they've gotten flack for being inconsistent). You can think of them as folders in the conventional email sense, if it helps, but just know that a single message can be filed with several labels/tags/folders. Read more here.

By the way, speaking of neat features...

Gmail recently improved its support of checking other e-mail accounts, which I love (because in most cases, you can also automatically reply "from" that alternate address). Combine that with labels/tags/folders, and you have those individual accounts or messages from a specific mailing list automatically sorted and kept separate from your general inbox. Great stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Bard
    replied

As far as I know, Gmail has no concept of folders. Everything basically stays in your inbox indefinitely. What they do is "tags". You can define a set of tags and then apply them to messages. These become searches that you can click on, on the left side. You can then tag messages as "archived" and they'll disappear from your main inbox folder, but still be visible under tag searches and under "All Messages". That sounds a lot like regular mail folders except that you can put messages in multiple "folders" with the tags.. super cool

Hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• Serenity
    replied

By the way, Gang....

How on earth do I or can I make an extra folder on the left hand side, so that if I want to save any incoming mail (or any mail that I have forwarded to my gmail) for future reference?

Hope to hear from any one soon.

Thank you & Aloha.

Leave a comment:

• alohatim
    replied

Serenity: I think it is called Verizon BroadbandAccess EV-DO for handhelds. It sounds like you already have internet access associated with your phone. I don't think you would be getting your email as sms text messages (the kind you pay for by the message).

You are not really giving google your cell number. Rather, your phone goes out on the internet and contacts the google mail server with your account name and password. It gets your mail and delivers it to your phone. In my case, I see it through the Outlook mail client that is part of windows mobile. It looks like google has its own client that you can install on a phone. I hope I am describing this accurately. Anyone else care to jump in?

Leave a comment:

• Serenity
    replied

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
    Midsummer last year, I got a Motorola Q and subscribed to the web service. I set up only my gmail account for it. It works really nicely--mainly because of how well gmail mail filters spam. My phone uses a mobile Outlook interface--but I like the look of gmail's.

I will be cancelling the web service as soon as I get around to it. $45/month is too much just to read my email on the go. The wireless sync for contacts and emails is nice, but I can do it almost as easily with a usb cable.

Serenity: Will you be getting your emails as sms text messages? or do you have internet services enabled on your phone also?
    I called my T-Mobile service, & I think they said that I will probably get in a text form, they weren't too clear on how gmail works, so they told me that I will (probably) get it a text form, but I also have some kind of internet capability, I can check my regular R.R. & College e-mail on my phone, (which has the capability to add other e-mails on my phone), but I tried to add GMail along with my other e-mail, but can't do it that way.

I guess, I would have to add my phone # to Gmail, if I want to receive further
    e-mails from GMail.

My phone is a samsung X495, which I tried to look for the picture, but I couldn 't find it any more, all I see is the most recent ones, that is a lot like it:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...1-9ef8a4bb44f0

I can also read newspapers from my phone etc.

So, yeah, I have some kind of internet with it, but not sure if I can actually access GMail itself. Maybe I just haven't ventured far enoug into my phone .

I guess, if I wanted to access my gmail, I would probably have to add my Phone # to my GMail to receive any messages?. (& probably would receive it as text message, not sure).

Oh by the way, if I add on my phone number to GMail, & later become un satisfied with it, is there a way to delete it, or take it out of my phone?

AlohaTim, what kind of webservice do you have? if you don't mind me asking?

Well, thanks for the message, hope to hear from you soon, (or any one at all).

Aloha, & have a good Sunday.
    Last edited by Serenity; February 11, 2007, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X