Of local broadband ISPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of local broadband ISPs

Does anyone know if either Oceanic or HT broadband services allow residential customers to run personal webservers or telnet bulletin boards?

Re: Of local broadband ISPs

I know my friend was running an apahe server awile back and they capped his speed to a nearly crippling rate.....roadrunner that is
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

I know you can run services on a stock residential broadband connection, but the question is if you should... and whether doing so is a violation of your TOS. Most consumer-level offerings are concerned with download speeds, not uploads. And even with 384k or whatever advertised, that's usually not what you're going to get -- and most definitely, if your usage is out of line, you'll get throttled (for starters).

Basically you should spring for the ISPs higher service levels, usually business rates, that allow for static IPs and higher upload speeds. I think our own zztype here runs his websites from home, but pays for the privilege.

Interestingly, I used to say real techies could consider FlexNet (static IP, good bandwidth), but according to this page and this page, it's basically impossible for them to beat the rates of the local monopoly...

Comment

Hosting is pretty cheap if all you want is some space and bandwidth , you can even get it for free, if you talk to the right people.
        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Yeah, I sprung for the Road Runner commercial feed. With it, you have a license to run all services over your RR connection, plus fixed IP. This is what you're interested in:

http://oceanic.rrbiz.com/rr_oceanic/...D=1878&VID=242

I have the Enterprise service with 1 megabit UP to the Internet. That's the big deal. That's what you pay for. I run my own DNS/Mail/FTP/SSH/Apache/virtual domains.

I like it. Whenever I think of some whacky domain name to register, I have a web site instantly.

Plus I host and maintain web sites for a few friends, and that helps defray the cost of the connection.

Mostly I lose money on it! But I've been doing this for three or four years now. I don't even remember when i started (I just checked. I started in Feb. 2003.) and I have no intention of stopping any time soon. I'm too addicted to having my no leash!

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
            Yeah, I sprung for the Road Runner commercial feed. With it, you have a license to run all services over your RR connection, plus fixed IP. This is what you're interested in:

http://oceanic.rrbiz.com/rr_oceanic/...D=1878&VID=242
            Blaine
            Oh wow, thanks for that info. I never saw the package chart you have in that link... I was looking thru oceanic.com and seemed like all their business packages were way too steep. I must have been looking in the wrong places.

I pay for virtual hosting now and yea, it's cheap. I've got this urge to go retro on a separate project, however, and revive a bulletin board system like the pre-www days. But since today's best bet is telnet connections versus dial-up callers, I believe it now starts to conflict with RR's TOS. So I'm trying to find an acceptable alternative without spending too much since BBSing will never be a bandwidth hogging enterprise like the web.

Comment

Working...
            X