Got a laptop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a laptop!

So, I'm the first laptop user in my family, and I'm more surprised that I got a Dell (its a Dell c610).

I just changed the security settings and made it as secure as my desktop. What else I can do with it in terms of customization? Any good bags people want to recommend? What about wifi cards?

Oh, and it was $200 from a local guy, so it was possible to get a cheap laptop. I don't need a gaming computer anyway - that's what my desktop(s) will be for. And its nothing special: Intel PIII 1ghz processor, 512mb RAM, 20gb HD, 16mb graphics card, but only one USB port (but I'm still using my wireless keyboard and mouse) and its heavy as heck.

And the battery is awesome. I got two of them along with a charger, and the first one had about 2 hours of juice left while I used it for the first time (watching part of a DVD movie, music, word processing - all one at a time of course)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Got a laptop!

Sounds like you got a good deal on a PIII.

As for wifi cards, there are so many out there. I'm running a Linksys on mine with absolutely no problems. Excellent reception and solid connectivity.

With limited hard drive capacity you should run programs such as Easy Cleaner which will clean out a ton of useless stuff painlessly. You can find it at:
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

it's free and it works. It also has a start up utility that let's you simply unclick unwanted start up programs in your system tray without typing in msconfig.

As for cases, I always buy Targus cases because they're just that good.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

With limited hard drive capacity you should run programs such as Easy Cleaner which will clean out a ton of useless stuff painlessly. You can find it at:
      http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
      I've had problems in the past using that program. This program gets the
      Aaron's golden guarantee http://www.ccleaner.com/
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
        This program gets the
        Aaron's golden guarantee http://www.ccleaner.com/
        I got that on the CD that's going to the laptop when I have time to burn tomorrow.

But the one thing I'll need to get is a light for it, because it was hard to type in the dark before bed (I can touch type, but I'm not used to the keyboard's layout)

Comment

Congrats! I just ordered a new Dell XPS M170 laptop last week and currently waiting for the UPS guy to show up.

Might be better off just blowing away the partition and reinstalling the OS in order to get rid of the useless software they install on there.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
            Congrats! I just ordered a new Dell XPS M170 laptop last week and currently waiting for the UPS guy to show up.

Might be better off just blowing away the partition and reinstalling the OS in order to get rid of the useless software they install on there.
            Thanks. I just wished I had more USB ports, wifi connection, and a longer-lasting battery (which I can just add on later).

Comment

USB lights are cool! I got a gooseneck one for about $10, I think. Or for same price get a LED head lamp at Longs. (Wife thinks I look like the King of Dorks when I wear mine). I have been thinking about getting a little usb fan too to keep me cool.

One thing I remember about my pIII laptop is how hot it got. Would burn my leg if I put it on my lap. They have lap coolers, some with fans to help cool you and the computer.

I have one nice targus backpack that I use only when I travel. Most often, I use a small padded sleeve that is just a little bigger than the laptop.

Have fun!
              Tim
              Last edited by alohatim; April 4, 2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I just went to California and forgot to bring my charger. Instead of buying the same kind of wall charger, I got the Igo thing from radio shack. That way, I can charge in the car too. It works on airplanes too, but I don't think I have ever been on that kind of plane--maybe it is only first class. Sometimes I sit in the car and watch movies while wife shops in the mall.

Comment

When using USB powered devices you gotta make sure you don't overtax your PSU. The USB port provides +5vdc to whatever is plugged into it but plugging too many devices could damage the PSU rendering your computer usless until you replace it.

On some laptops the power coming in can be just a single source (possibly +18vdc) and voltage division to appropriate levels (+5, -5, +12, -12, +3.3vdc) happen within the laptop itself. If you blow out the onboard +5vdc voltage regulator that supplies most of the voltage to your hard drive, optical, floppy and your USB ports, you pretty much toast the motherboard on which the regulators are mounted on.

Instead I use a powerd USB multi-port hub to satisfy my USB-powered cravings. Can you imagine there's a USB-powered coffee warmer!

Comment

So then I guess a USB-powered blowdryer would be a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim
                      USB lights are cool! I got a gooseneck one for about $10, I think. Or for same price get a LED head lamp at Longs. (Wife thinks I look like the King of Dorks when I wear mine). I have been thinking about getting a little usb fan too to keep me cool.
                      Speaking of fun USB stuff, there's a USB cooler, instant video card, a snowman for your computer, a fish aquarium, and for you car/computer geeks, there's a ligher to USB/firewire converter!

One thing I remember about my pIII laptop is how hot it got. Would burn my leg if I put it on my lap. They have lap coolers, some with fans to help cool you and the computer.
                      Don't have that problem so far (either that, or my pants are too thick)

Comment

laptops just aren ergonomically made to work on your laps. They really need to redefine the name to Starbucktop computers. Hmmm maybe Starbucks will make ventilated tabletops so when you put a laptop on their tables, the heat just runs thru the bottom of the table.

And then...they use heatpipes to take that laptop heat and use it to keep their coffee nice and hot thru warmers instead of BURNING IT AS THEY ALWAYS DO!!

I think I just found the newest culprits to global warming! Burning coffee and hot laptops. See it's all Intel's fault with their hot P4 processors and Starbucks with their hot coffee that's melting the Polar ice caps.

Comment

Working...
                        X