TV shows on your cellphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV shows on your cellphone

The idea of being able to watch TV shows on portable devices like your cellphone is really, really attractive. You could snatch time to watch your favorite shows while commuting, or during lunch, or in other odd moments during the day.

Last week I mentioned that Slingbox is releasing a product that lets you watch TV shows on Windows Mobile devices, like some cellphones.

Well, now Motorola wants some of that action too... but only if you use a Motorola Razr cellphone and a Motorola-built DVR.

Re: TV shows on your cellphone

I'll pass. Its hard enough to watch TV episodes on my laptop on the bus without people looking over my shoulder or saying "go back, I missed that". If I have that ability on my cell, then I'll be even more pissed if someone calls in the middle of a good part.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Don't you have to pay for the "airtime" required to watch those TV shows on your cellphone, though? Same thing with those videogames that you can play on your phone (if they're interactive)?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        I'll pass. Its hard enough to watch TV episodes on my laptop on the bus without people looking over my shoulder or saying "go back, I missed that".
        Oh was that you? well i never seen dat film before. sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Don't you have to pay for the "airtime" required to watch those TV shows on your cellphone, though? Same thing with those videogames that you can play on your phone (if they're interactive)?

Miulang
          I'm thinking more like you download/save them from your phone like what iTunes does for its TV shows. And if that's true, then there's other ways and means of getting them onto your phone
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I think most major mobile providers have some sort of "TV" offering. Several partner with MobiTV. At least a couple of them also offer "live" video streams. I think the primary appeal of the Slingbox method is that you'd be watching your television... not a preselected set of channels or content providers with whom your cellular company had to sign complicated deals with.

The Motorola model is interesting, but requires that your cable company use their DVR hardware (they don't sell direct to consumers) and that you have a Razr phone (that doesn't yet exist).

Comment

If you want to dip your toe in, HandiTV offers a modest alternative. There's no monthly subscription fee, but the stream choices aren't as varied as MobiTV. They do have a classic cartoon channel though. Could make for a good emergency distraction device if you have to drive long distances with little ones.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
              X