Will Your Website Outlive You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Your Website Outlive You?

Several people here publish websites of all different types... weblogs, podcasting sites, informational sites, business sites, news sites, photo sites, old style personal web pages, websites for other organizations, you name it. I would think a good number of people have a website.

Has anyone given any thought about whether or not their website will continue beyond their own death? Or will the websites we publish die shortly after we go?

I know for me, there is no one that would want to take over any of my websites. In time after not paying for hosting charges, domain name services and forwarding passwords, access and files on to another person or entity, it is more than likely the website(s) we publish will die.

Are the websites our personal legacies to leave behind to the internet masses or should they die with us?

What about web content you publish to third party sites, such as MySpace, Flickr, BuzzNet, Yahoo, and even HawaiiThreads? I am sure that content will continue as long as the sites are up... but in time they could all go away too.

Is the Internet Archive (which I don't personally use, but which I know has taken some of my content) a good source for internet website and content archiving? Beyond our demise?

Just kicking this idea out there to see what people think.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Will Your Website Outlive You?

In the early days of personal web pages, and online diaries, say 1995 or so, people were already talking about the inevitability of passing on and the relative (but not absolute, of course) permanence of the things we publish online.

There was the "who will post that final update?" question, or keep things running as you mention, Mel, leading to thoughts like giving usernames/passwords to trusted friends or family or slipping it into your files with your will... and there were even people offering an escrow service of some kind for that contingency, if I recall correctly.

Then, of course, there's the emotional impact and effect of having an online presence even after you're gone... for family, friends, and even strangers. A snapshot, in many ways, that can be more personal than a prepared statement or a well-written obituary. A snapshot of you, by you, depicting your everyday life -- not neccessarily an idealized vision created with "legacy" and "reputation" in mind.

Here's a Wired story I've linked before on blogs of the dead. Locally, we've mentioned Renee Champ's MySpace page, and while she hasn't yet made the MyDeathSpace list, they recently posted Justin Truong, who apparently died in February. Innocent victims of crimes often have web pages, as do criminals (i.e. the Columbine kids). Depending on the severity of the crime, these sites are often taken down, and/or become evidence. Similarly,
    there've been news stories of soldiers who've died in Iraq whose families want access to their various accounts. There's no settled protocol for handling these things, and I can see the argument for and against.

Obviously sites that people run as a service for others could easily live beyond their creators. But personal sites? I'd personally think I'd like them to be left as-is, or at least archived before they're inevitably deleted, rather than post-humously updated or modified, even with the best of intentions. I'll just hope the irony gods aren't gunning for me and that my last blog post isn't, "I just had this great steak lunch, but it tasted kinda funny..."
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 10, 2006, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Well, perhaps looking at the past can help. What happens to writers who die? Who gets their stuff? It's usually whoever inherits their possessions, unless otherwise specified in the writer's will. Professional writers also have copyright issues to deal with. (Amateurs do, too, technically, but from a practical standpoint I doubt it matters much.)

But in addition to online documents and drafts and manuscripts, which can probably be handled analogously to those of print writers, online writers have another peculiar asset: their online identity. Do you really want your bereaved widow, or your parents, or your best friend, logging onto your old account after you're dead and posting as you? That's kinda creepy. But how else are you supposed to be able to post a final, post-mortem message to close out the site?

Comment

The Internet Archive does indeed pick up a lot of stuff, but last I checked they are running behind in the (awesome) task of gathering pages. They're certainly keeping available a lot of mine from the past, though.

Comment

When I get around to writing a will I suppose I should stipulate

"To my executor:

Here's the password and userid for this blog. Please post the following eulogy/obituary."

And then write and include the most preposterous (or heartfelt, or whatever) statement I can find. No, "So long and thanks for all the fish" doesn't count.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            No, "So long and thanks for all the fish" doesn't count.
            Well, there goes my idea...

Comment

But putting a clause into one's will actually sounds like a decent idea. And maybe including a sealed envelope containing a list of URL/username/password combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                But putting a clause into one's will actually sounds like a decent idea. And maybe including a sealed envelope containing a list of URL/username/password combinations.
                Plus on mine: "This is my Legacy for my grandchildren - kindly use the cash to pay the annual fees to keep it ALIVE Online!" "No worry - the amount has been put aside for payment!"

Better do it or I'll come back from the Dead and give you WHACKS WHACKS!

Mommy

P.S. Don't alter or add to my stories!!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; April 10, 2006, 01:23 PM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Grins. Thus violating every security rule I've ever heard (Don't write them down!).

Comment

Well, that's the conventional wisdom, and will likely remain so, but not everyone thinks writing down passwords is an inherently insecure practice. A Microsoft security guru says the "rule" isn't neccessary, and security big-brain Bruce Schneier has said so for years.

Presumably, your will and estate papers are already kept someplace pretty secure, and are documents that are only going to be needed and referenced in pretty darn rare circumstances.

I think the bigger problem with saving login information for your heirs is that, well, the internet and computer systems will probably change much more often than your estate! Imagine someone's will today containing an IBM punch card. "I've encoded my will and the combination to my safe on this card. Love you!"

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      I think the bigger problem with saving login information for your heirs is that, well, the internet and computer systems will probably change much more often than your estate! Imagine someone's will today containing an IBM punch card. "I've encoded my will and the combination to my safe on this card. Love you!"
                      Right. Or, "The important document is on this 8" floppy in WordStar."

Comment

Working...
                      X