Websites as Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Websites as Business

This has probably been discussed before, but I'm starting a new thread 'cause I'm too lazy to search.

There's a very small business I frequent. It's got a decent website that's got info about the business (location, business hours, stuff like that) and a shopping-cart system for purchasing online.

I was in the store the other day and asked about the website (it came up naturally; the business is only open two days per week but is about to got to five days per week; I asked if they'd update the website when they made the switch). The store's owner told me that the site has been run by a few different people over the past few years, and that the last person to have maintained it has moved to the mainland and probably will not continue to work on it, and nobody knows how she did what she did anyway.

Then she asked if I was asking because I do websites. I said yes, which was a slight hyperbole, and added that it was more of a hobby than anything else, and that right now I don't have much room in my life for a new project, which was also a slight hyperbole.

Before I left (it's one of those buy-what-you-need-and-hang-around-and-chat kinda places), I said that when I got a little more space in my life, I'd see if they'd found anyone to do their site.

Well, I've been thinking about it, and something happened in my life recently that may result in my needing to fill up what remains of my free time (read: problems with my love-life). I think I could put up something at least as decent as what they've got at minimal expense to the store. I also think I'd be willing to work for peanuts (say, a few hours a week in exchange for goods or even a discount) because this is a pretty unique place and a lot of cool people will be very disappointed if it doesn't survive. Also, once I got it going, I could teach the owners how to maintain it themselves, if they wanted to, and then only go in when they needed serious work, 'cause I think that would be ideal.

Sorry; I'm thinking out loud now. I foresee a lot of possible problems here, but I'm wondering if I see them all. Anyone got any ideas for me? Someone's gotta do the site, and as I said, this is, for some people, a lot more than just a store. How can I help these store-owners without (a) killing myself and (b) eventually leaving them where they've been before, with a website that needs updating and nobody around to do it?

Also, if I do this gratis, or in exchange for some goods, do I have to get a GET license?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Websites as Business

I'm not sure about the GET, but I think the IRS wants you to monetize goods received in kind and declare their value as income. OTOH, a hundred bucks or so is probably not going to bump you into a new tax bracket with them, so I wouldn't worry overly much about that.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

All I can say is, I know the instinct well, so just make sure you don't spread yourself too thin. I've done websites for dozens of clubs, community groups, friends with home businesses (the much derided "friend of a friend who does that sort of thing" referral system, basically), figuring a basic website is better than none, and that as long as I charge enough to buy a couple of nice dinners, it's all good.

But depending on the technical savvy of the client, you might end up maintaining the site indefinitely, and eventually get to the point where you stop tracking and charging and end up a volunteer webmaster. You might then fall behind and not give the service they deserve, and they have a website they're not happy with.

Sounds like this has already happened to this store. It's happened to folks I worked with. Heck, these days, I'm afraid every story like this might actually be my fault!

The best way to do it, of course, is to set up a basic site with a simple, web-based CMS, and then teach them to do their own site maintenance. But having tried this a few times in the past year, I can tell you it's easier said than done. You're still going to get the "can you put this photo at the top and change the text to red" e-mail instead.

As far as taxes, I'm not sure if a business license is required, depending on just how little income you're expecting and on the paperwork requirements of the client. I'm not an accountant, but I think if you make less than $5,000 a year at this and folks just pay you (rather than write checks to your company), you can just file a Schedule C-EZ with your 1040 to declare this miscellaneous income, which then becomes part of your AGI, which you then list on your state tax forms.

But the client might require something more formal, and depending on the total payment will file a 1099-MISC, which means the IRS will know about the income even if you don't report it.

Comment

[QUOTE=pzarquon

The best way to do it, of course, is to set up a basic site with a simple, web-based CMS, and then teach them to do their own site maintenance. But having tried this a few times in the past year, I can tell you it's easier said than done. You're still going to get the "can you put this photo at the top and change the text to red" e-mail instead.

[/QUOTE]

I was about to say the same thing luckily I took the time to read :P maybe a cms with wsyiwg functionality and then kindly explain that to do any changes to the layout they'd need to hire a designer or something..
        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
        X