Local Wireless War Drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Wireless War Drive!

Do you use Wi-Fi? Do you use it responsibly?

A coalition of local tech and security groups (led by a new local security group called Secure `IKE) are going to be fanning out all over Oahu on Saturday, May 29 for a coordinated wireless war drive to conduct an unofficial but significant audit of wireless use in Honolulu and overall security practices.

We know from previous articles and news segments that the city is rife with home Wi-Fi systems that are wide open and configured with the default settings they came with. A drive through Makiki would net dozens of signals on each block. Well, this war drive will cover the largest area yet, and will hopefully yield real-world data that can help promote user awareness of unsecured wireless networks and promote safe computing practices.

An informational command center will be set up at the Kahala Starbucks, and the operational center will be at HPU.

Eventually, there'll be a presentation on May 17 (location TBA) to present summary statistics and other information to the public. The event also will be documented for the OC16 tech show, "Flavors of Technology."

No, they won't be hacking into anyone's systems... just seeing where Wi-Fi networks are most prevalent and how many folks are leaving their proverbial doors unlocked. Participants will sign a non-disclosure agreement and turn in all data collected, and several local agencies will be asked to participate in the analysis and interpretation of the data.

The initial announcement of the war drive can be found here.

I think this is a neat idea. I've seen lots of anecdotal stories about open Wi-Fi networks in crowded neighborhoods (and know more than a few people who benefit from them!), but few go beyond the typical "isn't this interesting?" level. It'd be good to know on a more scientific basis just how much more education is needed (although the folks who leech of their neighbors will probably be a bit miffed).
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 17, 2006, 07:54 AM.

Re: Local Wireless War Drive!

Here's an anecdotal data point. A few months ago I was helping a friend set up a WiFi router at his house in Hawaii Kai, and was able to detect three neighbors' WiFi nodes. All unsecured.

Comment

In Ewa Beach, I just sat in my house and being super da kine major pake, I might as well disconnect my broadband since I could get at least 2, if not more wireless networks, all unsecured 24-hours a day, 7-days a week!!!

Comment

We used to live in Makiki, in one of many high-rise apartment buildings, and Wi-Fi networks were everywhere. I was actually impressed when I found a secure one... most had names like 'default' and 'linksys' and were wide, wide open.

Some of the secure networks had rude names, which was moderately entertaining. If you knew enough to rename and secure your Wi-Fi network, you probably also knew enough to suppress SSID broadcasts entirely. But why not enjoy yourself, instead?

WEP encryption was long ago cracked, but there's now WPA and other encryption methods (I bind to MAC addresses as well, though I know those can be spoofed). Frankly, though, unless someone is specifically after your network (in which case you've got bigger problems), at this point there's no need to try too hard to lock things up. Folks looking for networks to hack or to get free access don't need to bother trying to break in when another open access point is almost certainly a click away.
        Last edited by pzarquon; April 17, 2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

You got that right. Being that I monitor my inbound, I really don't know what hackers want with my internal network. It's a good thing that I (try) to stop them at the door, but really, they pound my firewall day in and day out. It's a good thing that everything is logged and captured for their ISP to review. A lot of attacks come from overseas.

Comment

Say, that reminds me. How would I know if somebody was tapping into my wireless network? I asked a techie friend and he said that you could use a packet sniffer to find out exactly what traffic is running on your network. Not being much of a network geek, I had a vague idea what he meant but I have no idea how to actually do it. Can anybody point me in the right direction, here? Maybe a how-to web page?

Comment

Here ya go...it's a pretty nontechnical explanation of what a packet sniffer does. And here's some free software if you really want to do it yourself.

Miulang

P.S. Glen, if I hadn't come up here to the Mainland and had the work experiences that I've had, I'd wouldn't be able to give you this info.
              Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 01:55 PM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Give me a little more credit than that. I have a copy of Ethereal already. I just don't know how to configure it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Give me a little more credit than that. I have a copy of Ethereal already. I just don't know how to configure it correctly.
                  You didn't say you already had Ethereal; that's a whole 'nother can 'o worms.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    P.S. Glen, if I hadn't come up here to the Mainland and had the work experiences that I've had, I'd wouldn't be able to give you this info.
                    Don't worry Glen... I'm sure there are at least 10 other techies here in Honolulu that could have told you the same thing. And they didn't need to go to the mainland to learn it.

I hope this project stays out of Palolo... I kinda like not having to pay for my Internet access...

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Miulang, the info that you provided was what I could have found with Google in twenty seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Miulang, the info that you provided was what I could have found with Google in twenty seconds.
                        If you're interested in knowing who's pinging you, use the "DNS lookup" feature of Ethereal. That's the one that would probably be the most interesting to you.

Miulang

Comment

I've used Ethereal in the past.. I had to install WinPcap seperately, but I looked
                          on the FAQ http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q2.2 it comes bundled with the
                          software...

By the way the sarcasm directed at Miulang is uncalled for in my opinion.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

HACKERS!!

I did a scan of my neighborhood, and found two networks that are secure. Pretty good considering that I live in a semi-ghetto place. But my network teacher went war driving around his neighborhood in Waikele, and found a few dozen networks, 3/4 of which were unsecured. To make it worse, he went from Waikele to the Ala Moana area via Moanalua, and he found choke unsecured wireless networks (I forgot the number, but when he showed the results, he had to scroll down a few pages).

And I might try to join in this war driving effort, but just look out for the 'iride' networks, as their TheBus connections.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I hope the results of this war drive are published and more people become educated to the seriousness of having unsecured networks. It's really terrifying to think of how many of these people are unknowingly allowing others to use their networks for free (stealing bandwidth) and how serious the possibility is of them losing some of their personal information if they don't do some basic ratcheting down of their systems.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; April 17, 2006, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X