New version of WGA will block updates until product is activated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of WGA will block updates until product is activated

A source close to Microsoft told german Windows enthusiast site WinFuture about plans to introduce a new version of the windows genuine check. According to the source the activation of Windows XP is going to be required to get access to ALL downloads listed in Microsofts Download Center. Additionally a message will pop up every time the system boots, if Windows has not been activated yet. The message will remind the user of activating Windows and start the validation process via WGA.
    Original source (in german)
    english source

Suddenly, Apples are mighty tasty now.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: New version of WGA will block updates until product is activated

I thought the authorization thing for Windows XP was already a standard feature.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      I thought the authorization thing for Windows XP was already a standard feature.
      Well, kinda. You get 30 days to do whatever you want w/out activating it (but a balloon does pop up reminding you) and once the 30 days are up, it won't let you login until you activate it.

I guess this time, you'll need to activate it ASAP or else you can't update.

Comment

That is unless you have the XP Pro corporate license then you don't get the message.

With XP Pro OEM version becoming so cheap ($139 thru NewEgg) you may as well just cough up the dough and have a legit system with all the updates and no worries.

I'm running MCE 2005 on my rig right now and the updates flow in unobstrusively. With automatic updates you don't even see the notices, it just updates and you're good to go.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          With XP Pro OEM version becoming so cheap ($139 thru NewEgg) you may as well just cough up the dough and have a legit system with all the updates and no worries.
          Its been that cheap for a few years now. I remembered when I bought XP home for $90 a few years ago to build my computer.

Comment

And on a related note:

Since its pilot in 09/2004 and the official launch in 7/2005, WGA produced 151M successful validations world wide and 35M installations failed to validate which is approximately 19% of WGA installations, according to Microsoft.
            Source

Comment

And looks like the new version of WGA will start next week tuesday.

Microsoft hopes that by notifying users that they are not eligible for all security upgrades it will drive more users to purchase a legal copy of Windows, and also report the counterfeit dealers that sold them their copy. In some cases Microsoft will give a free license to users who are victims of a high quality counterfeiting.
              And last note, if you think that this is the end, Microsoft is preparing enhanced notification and better VLK validations in Windows Vista.
              And looks like pirating will increase because of this.

Comment

Working...
              X