USB flash drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB flash drives

I bought a 256MB Memorex ThumbDrive from CompUSA two weeks ago. It operates just fine, but don't buy one expecting that it'll last long as a keychain device! When I got it, I threaded it onto my keyring along with my house and car keys; very convenient. But this morning as I pulled my keys out of my jeans, the ThumbDrive's little plastic loop snapped, permanently detaching it from my keyring and tumbling it onto the driveway. Now I have to keep the thing loose in my pocket, instead of attached to my keys. So much for durability.

Re: USB flash drives

I had the same problem with my Lexar JumpDrives. You'd think that since they sell the damn things with pictures of happy office workers and bicyclists holding them on keychains that they'd make that aspect of their industrial design a priority... but I was actually dumb enough to give Lexar a second chance and snapped its key loop within a week.

Such a simple thing, but if "convenience" is what you're selling, it matters. And it's so ridiculous that most of these thumb drives put the loop on the cover or cap rather than the drive itself. If something is going to fall off, I'd much rather lose the cap, thank you.

I've been using a SanDisk Cruzer Mini, fortunately, and haven't dropped or lost it yet. It has a convenient pinch-detachable tether (and included lanyard), rather than a brittle plastic loop, and yes, the tether attaches to the drive, not the cap. And it helpfully came with two spare caps... helpful because I lost one already.
    Last edited by pzarquon; July 7, 2004, 01:50 PM. Reason: Added links to products.

Comment

I bought the Memorex because it was the only brand on the shelf that came with a USB extension cable. This was important seeing as my PC doesn't have a front USB port, so I have to use the USB port on the back. No way was I going to go crawling back under my desk every day to plug the sucker in.

Comment

I had thought about getting a thumbdrive, but an acquaintence recommended the Jumpdrive Trio. If you already have Secure Digital cards, MMCs or Memory Sticks, this is definitely an affordable alternative (20 buckaroos). Since my digital camera and PocketPC uses SD cards I picked one up right quick.

Also, unlike traditional thumbdrives, the Jumpdrive is expandable. Need more storage space? Buy a larger capacity card or stick. However, you can't really hook it up to your keychain.

Comment

I have a stash of the CompUSA 16Mbyte or 32Mbyte flash drives for both work and home but latey I haven't been transfering data between my work and home systems. And a good percentage of the people at work love to keep their computers under the desk where the USB port so much hiden from ever seeing sunlight.

Glen, you ever tried using an USB hub? Granted sometimes certain devices would work with an unpowered USB hub, sometimes with a powered USB hub and other times you gotta plug the thing directly in the USB port.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            Glen, you ever tried using an USB hub? Granted sometimes certain devices would work with an unpowered USB hub, sometimes with a powered USB hub and other times you gotta plug the thing directly in the USB port.
            I have a USB hub, but not at work. Which is why I needed the USB extension cable.

Comment

The Jumpdrive Trio comes with a USB extension. I have two of them one with 64Mb and the other with 256Mb. I use the Jumpdrive instead of my camera's proprietary download cable to download pictures.

As DaFerret said, the Trio offers expandablity however they messed up with the loseable cover. That sucks big time. Now you can buy jump drives built into watches but you still need that proprietary cable. They need to make a jumpdrive with a retractable tip like the new Sharpies out there.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I see CostCo is now selling the Sandisk Cruzer Mini I use... for almost $20 less than what I paid a little while ago. As I carry it around my neck with my work ID badge, I definitely am getting good use out of it and still recommend it.

The thing about the caps, though? I hear you. I lost my last one (of three!) a little while ago.

Sandisk does make a Titanium edition of the Cruzer... and look at that! The USB plug retracts!

Comment

Working...
                X