Taking your laptop on a trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking your laptop on a trip?

Well more specifically Las Vegas. Is it worth lugging it there? We will be staying at Main Street. Are there a lot of free access points? (Can I really go 3 days without Internet access, e-mail, HT?) Do you leave it in your room or take it with you everywhere? As you can tell this would be our first trip with it (if we decide to take it).
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Taking your laptop on a trip?

If it was me and if I wasn't going to LV on business, I wouldn't take my laptop with me unless it was really really portable (the Dell I own weighs about 15 lbs in its case so it's heavy). Plus you get the hassles at airport security and you'd probably need to lug it with you everywhere if you didn't want to leave it in your hotel room where one of the Filipino or Vietnamese housekeepers might cockaroach it. And then you'd have to keep a pretty close eye on it because somebody might come along and snitch it if you put it on the ground next to you when you're out and about. LV is a tourist destination, and the crooks know you're not going to be super vigilant so they have more opportunity to prey on you and your belongings.

If you still want to chance it, though, go here and see if the hotel you're staying in has free wifi.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 26, 2006, 12:51 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah taking a laptop to Vegas is just inviting trouble. Since the whole point of going on a vacation is to get away from what you're doing now. It's amazing what a few days offline can do to a person. Sometimes too much information can really clog the mind from clear thinking and a break is in order...losing money in Vegas isn't exactly my idea of a vacation but hey to each their own right?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador

Well more specifically Las Vegas. Is it worth lugging it there? We will be staying at Main Street.
        Leave the laptop at home. The Fremont Street mall (location of the Fremont Street Experience) is just a couple of blocks away from the Main Street Station Hotel. While I was there just a couple of weeks ago, I wandered into a curio shop that was located just across the way from the ABC Store (yes, same as in Waikiki) and saw towards the back of the store a small area set up with two desktop computers with online access. I think it was something like $5 for 15 minutes access. It sure beats having to lug around and worry about a laptop.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was going to use it to watch a DVD on the plane and perhaps download photos to it. But perhaps not.
          just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
          X